Colgate Freshman Ineligible - NCAA, R U SERIOUS?

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
It'll get reversed. This is one of the things I like about ESPN. They make some stupid "big-man" decisions popular and the "big-man" changes his mind.

iacyguy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 1, 2011
The Dirty Dodge
I didn't know toothpaste has its own university with a basketball team!

But I agree. this is dumb. Way to go NCAA

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
It's this type of stuff that will lead to the BCS breaking away from the NCAA. They will probably survive as an organization because the tourney is such a big deal, but football will soon take their ball and play by themselves.

hexodat64

Dec 5, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
It'll get reversed I'm sure, but it doesn't change the fact that these kinds of things seem to routinely happen. I would love to see what is actually going on in these meetings when they make these decisions.

As if the problems regarding making money weren't enough, the NCAA is just making themselves look worse with decisions like this

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
It'll get reversed I'm sure, but it doesn't change the fact that these kinds of things seem to routinely happen. I would love to see what is actually going on in these meetings when they make these decisions.

As if the problems regarding making money weren't enough, the NCAA is just making themselves look worse with decisions like this

Isn't it pretty obvious they just embarrass themselves with crap like this and Okorro? It's in their own best interest to police and reform themselves. Not a month goes buy without a huge negative PR story like this.

TykeClone

Burgermeister!
Oct 18, 2006
Isn't it pretty obvious they just embarrass themselves with crap like this and Okorro? It's in their own best interest to police and reform themselves. Not a month goes buy without a huge negative PR story like this.

I don't think that they can help it.

megamanxzero35

May 31, 2011

I read an interview with a former NCAA compliance officer. He said situations like these, the ruling happens with no one really looking at it. Like a pre approved loan. No one looks over your credit history, just your number and HEY! You could get up to a 200k loan this weekend! Then you go in and you actually can only get a 130k loan.

Cases like this get an automatic ruling before human eyes see it. This interview was during the MTSU issue referenced in the article and the guy was saying he was confident it'd be reversed because it would be looked over by a real person now.

hexodat64

Dec 5, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I read an interview with a former NCAA compliance officer. He said situations like these, the ruling happens with no one really looking at it. Like a pre approved loan. No one looks over your credit history, just your number and HEY! You could get up to a 200k loan this weekend! Then you go in and you actually can only get a 130k loan.

Cases like this get an automatic ruling before human eyes see it. This interview was during the MTSU issue referenced in the article and the guy was saying he was confident it'd be reversed because it would be looked over by a real person now.

You'd think with all the money going through college sports they could at least hire a person to actually look at these things. This is just pathetic. Of all the things they claim to do, it would be nice if the NCAA actually tried to care about student athletes

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Reminds me of the one year post season ban in all sports they gave Caltech. They really like to drop the hammer on these crazy colleges that care more about academics than sports.

megamanxzero35

May 31, 2011
You'd think with all the money going through college sports they could at least hire a person to actually look at these things. This is just pathetic. Of all the things they claim to do, it would be nice if the NCAA actually tried to care about student athletes

IIRC, he explained it as if there are 500 cases that need to be reviewed in a months time, time wise it's easier to give a blanket ruling and the ones that don't deserve that judgement will appeal and human eyes will see it. And those that know they are wrong, accept their penalty.

It is kind of backwards IMO. But it makes some sense.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
IIRC, he explained it as if there are 500 cases that need to be reviewed in a months time, time wise it's easier to give a blanket ruling and the ones that don't deserve that judgement will appeal and human eyes will see it. And those that know they are wrong, accept their penalty.

It is kind of backwards IMO. But it makes some sense.
In a bassackward way that does make some sense.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Significant other is a Raider alum. Reading her Facebook mini-feed leads me to believe Colgate is unaware it has both a football and basketball team. Hamilton is a nice little town though.

Cyclonetrombone

Aug 25, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
I remember in elementary school we all got pull names from a hat for NCAA tournament and whoever's team won got candy as a prize. My friend pulled Colgate and started crying. I think this was in '95 so 5th grade maybe?

I ended up with Purdue so didn't fair much better.

I didn't know toothpaste has its own university with a basketball team!

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008

What? You don't think the NCAA cares about these kids? Are you kidding me? Haven't you seen those cute little commercials the NCAA is constantly putting on TV?

[video=youtube;QC1aAGj34gs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QC1aAGj34gs[/video]

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
It's impossible to write out rules for every single situation that may ever arise. That's why it needs these blanket rules. I completely understand the meaning behind them even when the outcome is a bad PR message. This should get overturned when they get around to it.

Problem is next year, when a guy plays for a church league that pays for his car. "but it's a church league!" I'd hate to have to enforce this stuff.