Statement from Big 12 Conference

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Below is a statement Big 12 Supervisor of Football Officials Walt Anderson in regards to the Texas vs. Iowa State football game from Thursday night.

“In accordance with Big 12 Conference protocol I have reviewed several plays from last night’s Texas at Iowa State football game. Those plays include the personal foul penalty called in the endzone against Texas wide receiver Mike Davis, and the goal line play late in the game.

The ruling made on the goal line play was that the runner was down by rule with the ball. Because of that ruling, instant replay is allowed to review the play, which it did. Had the ruling on the field been forward progress, the play would not be reviewable because the goal line was not involved. The Replay Official looked at all five views available for this play: Line Feed, Goal Line cart, Press Box angle, Sky Cam, and Opposite End Zone camera. He correctly determined there was no indisputable video evidence to confirm that either the ruling on the field was correct, or that the ball was loose prior to the runner being down. By rule when there is not indisputable video evidence to confirm or change the call on the field, the ruling stands.

On this play, the covering official ruled the runner was down and still had control of the ball. There is no question the runner ends up on the ground, and there is no question that eventually an Iowa State player ends up with the ball. However, after reviewing the video evidence it is impossible to tell with certainty when the runner loses control of the ball and at that point was he down or not.

The conference would acknowledge in this unique situation if a mistake were made, but we do not have the video evidence to prove that one occurred.

The play involving Mr. Davis is being addressed in accord with the Conference’s Sportsmanship and Ethical Conduct Policy."

All of the above is from Ames Tribune

huntt26

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
They should have shown him the ESPN angle had on TV - clear as day.

Hopefully, at the very least, Davis is out a game. That was cheap

SerenityNow

Dec 4, 2009
Central Iowa
I am shocked that this would be their response. Can't help but wonder if the teams were reversed, the response would be different.

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
"However, after reviewing the video evidence it is impossible to tell with certainty when the runner loses control of the ball and at that point was he down or not."

BAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA is this joker serious? It's clear as day that the ball is out before he hits the ground. Holy crap this announcement will do nothing but further ignite this situation by refusing to acknowledge they made a mistake. Wow, just wow.

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
I can't help but read that statement like the Matthew McConaughey closing argument in A Time to Kill.

"... now imagine the team recovering the ball is Texas."

cyfan964

Oct 22, 2006
I didn't think anything they responded with could make me more upset than I already was.... I was wrong. It's time for a change in administration. We may be the little guys, but we still matter. This **** can not continue to stand. Jaime Pollard, I'm looking at you, Paul Rhoads took a stand. It is time for you to take one as well. If we're going down like this might as well do it as one cohesive unit. If I was another team in the B12 I would be embarrassed. When this happened to OK St. last year, I was embarrassed. How can we continue to allow this to happen?

weR138

Feb 20, 2008

The conference would acknowledge in this unique situation if a mistake were made, but we do not have the video evidence to prove that one occurred.

Funny, ESPN and the JTS jumbotron did...