Freshman Advice Thread

GingerNinja

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2012
Omaha
Long time reader, first time posting since who wants to hear a high schooler's opinion anyway. Back on point though, I'm finally achieving my life goal of attending Iowa State and I talked 11 people from my school(out of 52!) in to coming down with me.

I'm living on the 4th floor of Helser and I move in this Wednesday. Since I don't really have any experience at college, I figured I would come to my go-to spot for information CyFan and figure out the best way to avoid being a really obvious freshman.

Since most of you have had experiences with this stuff I'm banking on you all, as a community, coming together to help me be the best freshman at not being a freshman. Any advice would be awesome!

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
Also, you can only choose two of these three:

Sleep
Social life
Good grades

Figure out which two are important to you.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
Wear your high school letter jacket to class so everyone knows how awesome you are. This also applies to prom shirts/sweatshirts.

Start dating a sophomore in high school and talk to her on the phone at all times and go home to visit her every weekend.

These two things will guarantee a great freshman year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Farnsworth

cloneswereall

Aug 12, 2010
Do your best to familiarize yourself with where you're going before day 1. Also, don't walk into a 400 level course only to realize you're in the wrong room. That was kind of embarrassing.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
Long time reader, first time posting since who wants to hear a high schooler's opinion anyway. Back on point though, I'm finally achieving my life goal of attending Iowa State and I talked 11 people from my school(out of 52!) in to coming down with me.

I'm living on the 4th floor of Helser and I move in this Wednesday. Since I don't really have any experience at college, I figured I would come to my go-to spot for information CyFan and figure out the best way to avoid being a really obvious freshman.

Since most of you have had experiences with this stuff I'm banking on you all, as a community, coming together to help me be the best freshman at not being a freshman. Any advice would be awesome!

get used to the bus system. don't pull the lever on your way to class. Obvy freshman sign.
little red backpack you get, don't wear it around.
Act like you know your way around campus.

GingerNinja

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2012
Omaha
Wear your high school letter jacket to class so everyone knows how awesome you are. This also applies to prom shirts/sweatshirts.

Start dating a sophomore in high school and talk to her on the phone at all times and go home to visit her every weekend.

These to things will guarantee a great freshman year.

I'm kind of questioning this strategy, but with your experience and expertise I will trust you and go out to purchase a letter jacket right now (they aren't cool anymore). But thanks for pointing out the prom shirt I probably would have brought one :twitcy:

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
DIS will give you a lanyard, a drawstring bag, a map, and a shirt. Only 2 of these are acceptable to use, but only if the lanyard isn't worn around your neck.

CarlHungus

Feb 19, 2012
Ankeny
For the academics side, DON'T SKIP CLASS. Seriously, it makes a huge difference between passing classes and being on academic probation.

For the social life side of college, meet as many people as you can. Go to parties on a Tuesday night, go to the bars on a Wednesday night when you're 21, and hook-up with a lot of girls before you start dating someone seriously. You're only this age once, enjoy it while you can.

cloneswereall

Aug 12, 2010
get used to the bus system. don't pull the lever on your way to class. Obvy freshman sign.
little red backpack you get, don't wear it around.
Act like you know your way around campus.
Eh, I'd argue that one. When I was a sophomore through senior when I rode the bus, and had to take classes where there were no people at the stop, I rang that bell a lot. I knew the driver would just keep going if I never pulled it.

2020cy

Aug 7, 2006
Don't buy all your books for class until you are told you really need them. Not even being sarcastic.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
on cyride, the wire to signal you want off at the next stop. the buses will stop everywhere when class is going on.

Jordanj6502

Jan 9, 2010
Ames
Don't pull the lever?

Nearly every bus stop will be stopped at on Campus anyways, so there is usually no need to signal the bus driver that you want off at a stop. You really only need to pull the cord when no one waiting at the stop and it is not a mandatory stop.

cobraclone71

Jan 3, 2011
Try and play/participate in a couple intramurals every year. Great way to make friends, especially if your floor puts a team together.