Freshman Advice Thread

cobraclone71

Jan 3, 2011
Don't buy all your books for class until you are told you really need them. Not even being sarcastic.

This...and when you do buy them, it's never a bad idea to shop around for the best price. I was a devote half.com customer.

Jordanj6502

Jan 9, 2010
Ames
For the academics side, DON'T SKIP CLASS. Seriously, it makes a huge difference between passing classes and being on academic probation.

Seriously... DON'T SKIP CLASS. Not even once. The first time you skip class will open the flood gates to skipping on a regular basis.

CarlHungus

Feb 19, 2012
Ankeny
Don't buy all your books for class until you are told you really need them. Not even being sarcastic.

To expand on this, find out what books you need by going to the bookstore and write the title and IBSN number down. Then go to dealoz.com and get your books on there. You will save lots of $ on books by buying them used off the internet

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
Try and play/participate in a couple intramurals every year. Great way to make friends, especially if your floor puts a team together.

I strongly agree with this, although I would say participate in as many intramurals as possible. Everything from Curling to Flag Football to Basketball to Broomball to etc.

F5cy

May 1, 2011
Washington, D.C.
Greetings from a former Helser (Elwood House) resident '01-'02. Congrats on achieving your life goal, but perhaps you can edit that goal a bit and make it your new life goal to actually graduate from the fine institution that we all love. And props to you for being excited enough about it to bring along some friends.

I didn't have much advice given to me prior to moving in besides making sure to manage my time wisely. It's definitely the most important thing you'll have to do in order to be successful at ISU. cmjh10 pointed out that you need to decide what's important to you and go with it, because essentially, that's time management.

Go to class. Sit next to the 'hot chick' so that if one day you decide you want to sleep in or skip class you'll have a reason to get your *** in gear and get there. Sounds like you're a pretty motivated individual, but never know after a long weekend or just a bad day or something, you might need that little extra kick to make sure you don't miss something big. [essentially, make a friend the first day of class to buddy up with]

Besides that, play intramural sports (broom ball!). If you're a partier, be smart. You did mention you'd know at least 11 people at ISU, but you should definitely get to know people from places far and wide. I'm still good friends with about 6 guys from my floor of freshman year whom I didn't know until I moved in.

I don't think I need to mention attend sporting events, since you're here already.

Have a blast, and make sure to bring a good fan for that Helser dorm room. Even if it's not quite 90 this week, it'll be hot in there!

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Things not to do to avoid looking like a freshman:
Look at campus maps like you're lost, especially those in the middle of campus.
Don't dress up for class. (keep it casual/gym shorts)
Don't wear your destination ISU shirt, if you get one.
Don't carry around that key chain thing that all freshman seem to have, especially around your neck on a lanyard (That red card holder for your ISU card and white access card, should you have one)
When on the bus, don't pull the stop cord for obvious stops.
Don't walk around on the weekends with your entire dorm floor with back packs on full of booze looking for a house party.
Don't buy your books until you must have to. I always went and asked the professor on the first day of class if anything from the test will be from the textbook and not from class notes. The majority of the time, books are for supplemental instruction, not required.

Things TO DO:
Go check out where your classes are before classes start so you know exactly where you're going. You won't get lost that way and won't look stupid.
Leave your dorm room door open to make friends and be sociable.
Go to athletic events.
Play intramural sports.
Take food from the UDCC for evening snacks.
Try to find friends that live off campus, if you don't already, for a nice place to party on the weekend.
Tailgate for every home game. (be careful about drinking in the students lots, they'll get ya especially in the earlier games when they are checking a lot of people for ID's.)
At football games, if you sit in the student section, participate in the "Cowbell" actions. Don't be that one guy standing up, when everybody else is getting lower, because you feel you're too cool to do those actions.
Stay caught up in course work and don't save it all for when it's due, otherwise you'll be overwhelmed during finals week or mid terms.
Party. It's college. Meet girls, have fun, it's one of the best 4-5 years of your life.

GingerNinja

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2012
Omaha

I decided that was the best option but will the bookstore have all the textbooks I need once I figure out? That's the only thing that worries me.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
At least one person on your dorm floor will fail out. Don't be that person.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
I decided that was the best option but will the bookstore have all the textbooks I need once I figure out? That's the only thing that worries me.
Yes, they should. And if possible, always buy used books. Not new. Otherwise you'll get raped even more.

GMan

Jun 13, 2008
Minneapolis
Keep your door open for awhile, easiest way to meet people.

This. I wasn't very social when I got to college, but honestly, this little trick helped me meet tons of people.

You probably don't have to worry about this your first semester, but start thinking about and researching things like various career paths (while knowing that they twist and turn through the course of one's life), how to find a job, broad trends/issues, and the business side of whatever industry or field you are currently planning on entering. The sooner you do this stuff, the better prepared you will be when you graduate as it always takes more work than anyone thinks it will, and it's stuff not taught in class. Yes, it's tough to do on top of classes/clubs/social life (all very important), but even regularly doing this a little bit early in your academic career helps.

cobraclone71

Jan 3, 2011
Seriously... DON'T SKIP CLASS. Not even once. The first time you skip class will open the flood gates to skipping on a regular basis.

Agreed. Skipping class once is the gateway drug to skipping a lot of classes. It's a slippery slope.

cloneswereall

Aug 12, 2010
Yes, they buy enough copies for everyone enrolled in the class. Plus, there are 2 book stores. CBS and the University book store. Between the two of them they'll have a book for you if you decide to buy on/near campus. My last 2-3 years I always bought online, so I don't know if it's changed. However, I was always able to get what I needed through those two and half.com.

Jordanj6502

Jan 9, 2010
Ames
If you have a smartphone, there is an Iowa State app. 'MyState' it is nice if you feel that you want to have a map with you, but seriously within the first week you probably will not need a map ever again.

The app also has dining hall menus/hours, laundry machine availability, lab availability, cyride schedules and other random potentially helpful things.

Jordanj6502

Jan 9, 2010
Ames
Yes, they buy enough copies for everyone enrolled in the class. Plus, there are 2 book stores. CBS and the University book store. Between the two of them they'll have a book for you if you decide to buy on/near campus. My last 2-3 years I always bought online, so I don't know if it's changed. However, I was always able to get what I needed through those two and half.com.

CBS closed.