Community

Pitt_Clone

Nov 15, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
So... this season has been kind of disappointing huh? It has it's moments but overall it's just not the same. I think losing Dan Harmon was big. Fortunately Parks & Rec is still killing it.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Yeah, it's still good, but just hasn't been quite the same. Luckily they still have an amazing cast, so it's still better than 98% of what's out there, but just not quite what it was.

Couldn't agree more about Parks & Rec. So many times a marriage can kill a show, but it hasn't hurt this one at all.

D

DistrictCyclone

So... this season has been kind of disappointing huh? It has it's moments but overall it's just not the same. I think losing Dan Harmon was big. Fortunately Parks & Rec is still killing it.

Dan Harmon leaving was huge, not only because the writing isn't as good, but because he created the characters to represent different parts of his personality; it's only natural that the new writers don't know how to write for the characters as well.

I think the show would have slipped anyways; there has been next to ZERO character evolution on that show. Everyone's almost exactly like they were in Season 1, and as funny as they are, that's a recipe for growing stale (Parks and Rec is an interesting contrast in this way, since they've been able to keep the show fresh with big plot lines, like Ben and Leslie's marriage, Chris and Ann, Tom becoming responsible, etc.).

ISpyCy

Sep 17, 2011
Harlan, IA/Lincoln, NE
This may seem out of the ordinary for a Community fan such as me, but I feel like there should be more of a focus on stuff that happens to the cast in a college setting, rather than the "1,000 ways to record/dub/movie-spoof/animate/claymate/puppetize/cartoonize/8-bit a cast" method they have saturated the show with. Those episodes were good (Digital Estate Planning is one of my favorites), but IMO, they're overdone.

...oh, and there's the loss of Chevy and Dan Harmon. One of them gone probably wouldn't have changed much in the show, but both? yeah, it's not the same.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
I actually liked it so far. A couple seasons ago was bad. I quit watching it for a while and went back to it due to lack of shows to watch. The video game episode cracked me up and brought me back.

Pitt_Clone

Nov 15, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Yeah, it's still good, but just hasn't been quite the same. Luckily they still have an amazing cast, so it's still better than 98% of what's out there, but just not quite what it was.

Couldn't agree more about Parks & Rec. So many times a marriage can kill a show, but it hasn't hurt this one at all.
Yes it's definitely still better than most of the other stuff out there. They just set the bar pretty high in earlier seasons.

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
Agreed, this season hasn't been much. The first three seasons are among the best sitcom seasons I've ever seen, but with Dan Harmon gone, and the lead writer being hired away to Modern Family, it just hasn't been the same. Thursday's episode was as close to season 2/3 as season 4 has ever gotten, and that's saying quite a bit. It was also written by Jim Rash (the guy who plays the Dean).

I had to watch Remedial Chaos Theory again today. Amazing how great that episode was.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I like Community. I think it is good that Harmon is coming back. And it is not like NBC has anything to lose, every show they have has terrible ratings.

I will also add that one of my favorites is Parks and Rec and I will never understand why more people dont' watch it. Consistently the funniest show on network TV. And yet crap like Two and a Half Men or Big Bang Theory or Mike and Molly get incredible ratings.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
I was just thinking the other day, that if Community had not been picked up for Season 5 by NBC, it would have been a great candidate to go the Netflix route a la Arrested Development.

Not really relevant to the Dan Harmon news but I was just thinking about it

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
I wonder if this is at all related to Chevy Chase's leaving, or vice versa.

Either way, who cares. Dan Harmon is an addition. Chevy Chase leaving is addition by subtraction. Nowhere to go but up.

My guess is Chevy leaving made Harmon coming back was an option. Since Chevy left during shooting this past season I doubt Harmon coming back was the reason for him not being on the show anymore.
My biggest questions:
1. Where do you go now the Jeff graduated? It'll be interesting to see if that sort of transition is handled well, could really make or break the show for me.
2. Do they add a new member to the group to replace Pierce or just stick with the remaining members of the study group. My only hope is that they don't make Chang the full replacement. Talk about a character that hasn't found any sort of footing since season 1. Season 1 Chang frequently stole the show. Everything since has been average at best.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
My guess is Chevy leaving made Harmon coming back was an option. Since Chevy left during shooting this past season I doubt Harmon coming back was the reason for him not being on the show anymore.
My biggest questions:
1. Where do you go now the Jeff graduated? It'll be interesting to see if that sort of transition is handled well, could really make or break the show for me.
2. Do they add a new member to the group to replace Pierce or just stick with the remaining members of the study group. My only hope is that they don't make Chang the full replacement. Talk about a character that hasn't found any sort of footing since season 1. Season 1 Chang frequently stole the show. Everything since has been average at best.

Honestly, I sort of see them having Jeff a part-time professor. He was talking a lot in that final episode about teaching and stuff, and he didn't seem to want to do the cutthroat thing anymore. Just my guess, though.

I agree on Chang. I used to love Chang cameos, now it's just sort of meh.

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
Honestly, I sort of see them having Jeff a part-time professor. He was talking a lot in that final episode about teaching and stuff, and he didn't seem to want to do the cutthroat thing anymore. Just my guess, though.I agree on Chang. I used to love Chang cameos, now it's just sort of meh.
Jeff did end up getting his degree in, wait for it ... education.Spanish teacher Chang was awesome. Remember the episode where everyone thought he had died in the motorcycle crash, only to see him walk back in the classroom with his own entrance music ("I am Señor Chang, and I'm so ill - this is a warning, I can't be killed")? Paintball/Tony Montana Chang was triple awesome. The student/dictator/fake-amnesia Chang? Not at all awesome.

Last edited:

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Jeff did end up getting his degree in, wait for it ... education.Spanish teacher Chang was awesome. Remember the episode where everyone thought he had died in the motorcycle crash, only to see him walk back in the classroom with his own entrance music ("I am Señor Chang, and I'm so ill - this is a warning, I can't be killed")? Paintball/Tony Montana Chang was triple awesome. The student/dictator/fake-amnesia Chang? Not at all awesome.

Exactly. I really see them taking that angle with it, so that he can stay on, it would be really contrived otherwise.

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
I'll give this last season's showrunners some credit, I thought fake amnesia Chang was better than dictator or student Chang.

I'm pretty sure at one point in season 1 or 2 Harmon talked about, if the show last long enough, transitioning the show past the college scene. You wouldn't even have to lose a character like Dean Pelton by doing so since he lives next to Jeff.