Hit and Run Victim

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CykoAGR

Dec 16, 2008
Waukee, IA
That is horrible. Sounds like she is fortunate to be alive.

Im not a lawyer but the driver of the car should be charged with the most aggressive charges possible (Attempted murder?)

Thats really chicken @#$( to hit a person and just keep driving.

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
I'm guessing it was someone who wasn't licensed to be behind the wheel in the first place.

Boxerdaddy

Oct 19, 2009
Beaverdale, IA
I hope they find the person(s) responsible. Glad she's on the road to recovery and although her injuries are serious....really happy they aren't life threatening.

I'd be contacting every bodyshop in town letting them know about this. And pulling every car over that has a missing grill.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I'm so sorry, what an awful situation.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
That is horrible. Sounds like she is fortunate to be alive.

Im not a lawyer but the driver of the car should be charged with the most aggressive charges possible (Attempted murder?)

Thats really chicken @#$( to hit a person and just keep driving.

Its a horrible situation. This happened to my dad a long time ago. At about midnight one Sunday night, some guy drove down our rather quiet residential street, and was throwing empty beer bottles out the window. My dad went out into the street to try and flag the guy down to see what the heck was going on and get him to clean up the mess. The guy ended up hitting the gas pedal, swerving and hitting my dad, and took off. My dad got lucky and came away with just a few scratches and bruises.

They ended up catching the guy in Iowa City (where he attended college) the next night, and they were only able to charge him with leaving the scene of an accident and littering. Since my dad went into the street, they had no way to charge him with anything more serious.

BKLYNCyclone

Sep 16, 2007
Twin Cities, MN
Glad she will recover. For those of us that run on streets, please, please remember to run against traffic. (wearing reflective clothing is good too!) I don't know what your friend's sister situation was (she could have been running facing traffic), but the circumstance is pretty typical for those that run/walk with traffic instead of against it.

My sister-in-law was killed 3 years ago while jogging with her 3-month old daughter on a residential street in a St. Paul suburb. Amazingly, my niece survived with only a scratch (she was in a car seat, in a jogging stroller which absorbed much of the impact).

Two, very avoidable factors played a part in the tragedy. First, she was running with traffic instead of against, and was hit from behind. And second, the driver had failed to defrost his windshield fully before leaving (in a hurry on his way to school). A lot of us are guilty of both circumstances at least a few times in our lives. This is something that is easily avoidable, so I hope everyone here will take a few extra moments to let their windshields defrost, or just remember to jog facing traffic instead of with your back to it.

Me State

Oct 19, 2007
I'm not blaming the victim, but people need to stop running in the street especially at night. There is a reason the streets are lined with sidewalks.

aauummm

March is National Celery Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
A very good friend's sister was the victim of a hit and run while she was jogging. I feel pretty helpless but figured this would be a good place to send the story with the number of Des Moines area members on CF. Let police know if you see any vehicle resembling the description in the story.
Left for dead: Runner hit by car | Local News - KCCI Home

So it looks like they are looking for a silver Toyota sedan with a missing front grill. Also it was headed east on Douglas Avenue from 56th street. I would guess that the car is now hidden in someone's back yard or in a garage somewhere in the neighborhood east of 56th and Douglas. Hopefully the car will be spotted by either the police or by an alert neighbor.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
I'm not blaming the victim, but people need to stop running in the street especially at night. There is a reason the streets are lined with sidewalks.

There's a time and a place for everything...but this is probably not either, considering the circumstances. Not wrong in content, but timing and placement.

BKLYNCyclone

Sep 16, 2007
Twin Cities, MN

In the suburb where my sister-in-law was killed there are no sidewalks, anywhere.

Furthermore, when is one supposed to run this time of year. It's still dark when I go to work, and it's dark when I get home. Pretty sure my bosses wouldn't be happy with me running at noon and not having enough time to shower afterward.

Last edited:

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
There's a time and a place for everything...but this is probably not either, considering the circumstances. Not wrong in content, but timing and placement.

I kind of disagree, call me an ***, ban me, whatever, but this brings to light, imo, a growing problem, especially in my community. People jogging of all hours of the night and early morning, in pitch black, in the middle of the street. OK, let's find the driver first, sure and charge them for a hit and run, but there is more to this than just a bad, dumb driver.

I feel terrible for this person, no one should ever get hit by a car, especially in a hit and run incident, but this is a good time for people to realize that it's less likely you will get hit jogging if you are doing it on the sidewalk as opposed to the street. I've never understood why jogging in the street is considered accepted behavior, if you are in an area with sidewalks.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
I kind of disagree, call me an ***, ban me, whatever, but this brings to light, imo, a growing problem, especially in my community. People jogging of all hours of the night and early morning, in pitch black, in the middle of the street. OK, let's find the driver first, sure and charge them for a hit and run, but there is more to this than just a bad, dumb driver.

I feel terrible for this person, no one should ever get hit by a car, especially in a hit and run incident, but this is a good time for people to realize that it's less likely you will get hit jogging if you are doing it on the sidewalk as opposed to the street. I've never understood why jogging in the street is considered accepted behavior, if you are in an area with sidewalks.

Key statement there. Not every neighborhood has sidewalks on every street. I have to run almost 2 miles on the road before I get to the bike bath.

Me State

Oct 19, 2007
In the suburb where my sister-in-law was killed there are no sidewalks, anywhere.

Furthermore, when is one supposed to run this time of year. It's still dark when I go to work, and it's dark when I get home. Pretty sure my bosses wouldn't be happy with me running at noon and not having enough time to shower afterward.
If the city doesn't have sidewalks then there is no other option and all drivers should be well aware of that. Des Moines has plenty of sidewalks.

I'm not saying people shouldn't run outside at night. I'm saying runners need to understand that it is sometimes difficult for drivers to see them and they need to be very careful.

These incidents are very sad but also usually avoidable.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
At night the road is generally more lit up than a sidewalk is...helping prevent shredding your knees/ankles on potentially crappy sidewalk.

And the fact that the person apparently hit the grill leads me to believe that's an absolutely atrocious driver. This isn't a time the runner got clipped by the side mirror.

That said, when running on the road, make it easy to see yourself. When I run at night I always have reflective clothing and shoes which make me pretty damn hard to miss.

ricochet

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2008
At night the road is generally more lit up than a sidewalk is...helping prevent shredding your knees/ankles on potentially crappy sidewalk.

And the fact that the person apparently hit the grill leads me to believe that's an absolutely atrocious driver. This isn't a time the runner got clipped by the side mirror.

That said, when running on the road, make it easy to see yourself. When I run at night I always have reflective clothing and shoes which make me pretty damn hard to miss.

When you run on the road, which side do you run on?

Nov 6, 2010
Blacksburg, VA

This. This is a time you want to stand out like a sore thumb. It may save your life. This also applies to bicycles and motorcycles.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I'm surprised more cities don't require lights when walking and jogging. Bicycles are required to have both front and back at night so why not extend that to anyone using the road such as joggers? This is an inexpensive piece of equipment to attach to a belt.