***OFFICIAL BIG 12 EXPANSION THREAD 2.0***

Status
Not open for further replies.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
Obviously. I was just pointing out that they've held this for so long that it's strange to let it go considering they still hold the TM to Big 8. My guess is they've determined the value of the Big 12 brand outweighs the stupidity of having more (or less) teams than 12 but why let the TM go is my question. (Not that I expect an answer here to the question.)

Complete speculation, but maybe they realized they never want to have 14 (either 10, 12, or 16), and don't see the value of that name. Keeping Big 8? That is a historical name that the conference wouldn't want to see picked up by someone else and devalued/ruined/confused. There's no history with the big 14, just potential need or value.

dunar

Aug 31, 2007
West Des Moines, IA
Obviously. I was just pointing out that they've held this for so long that it's strange to let it go considering they still hold the TM to Big 8. My guess is they've determined the value of the Big 12 brand outweighs the stupidity of having more (or less) teams than 12 but why let the TM go is my question. (Not that I expect an answer here to the question.)

Who owns "Big 16"? That's where all the speculation is leading (Big 12 or someone else, likely B1G or SEC...)

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
I will laugh my *** off if the new York cable companies refuse to get the BTN. Scout.com: Does Rutgers really bring in the NYC market?

I don't think the Big Ten ever thought that Rutgers would bring in the NYC market. That's why they waited until the Fox Sports-YES deal was done before announcing the new additions. They will be able to strong arm the BTN onto a basic tier by using the YES network as leverage. There are a lot of Yankees fans in the NYC area.

HandSanitizer

Apr 19, 2006
Bondurant, IA
end-of-first-quarter.jpg

Duke is not going to happen..

colbycheese

Jun 11, 2010
Kansas
twitter.com
end-of-first-quarter.jpg

Duke is not going to happen..

Duke home football games are like minor league baseball games around here. Tickets are dirt cheap. They frame it as a "family atmosphere". They have a friggin track around their field.

You should have seen it when Alabama came to town a year or two ago. Tide fans showed up the Monday of game week in RVs and camped all week. The stadium was filled... with red.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Nothing says Big 12 like Duke. LOL. These WVU guys are great entertainment.
It wouldnt surprise me at all if Duke contacted the big 12.

However, the only response they would have gotten was likely laughing, unless ESPN was also on conference call wanting to protect one of their favorite programs.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
It wouldnt surprise me at all if Duke contacted the big 12.

However, the only response they would have gotten was likely laughing, unless ESPN was also on conference call wanting to protect one of their favorite programs.

Does that mean that Dukie V. would finally make a game in Hilton :jimlad:

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
I would bet every single Big East and ACC school has contacted the Big 12 outside of Maryland and Rutgers.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Total speculation here. Don't think that any of this will happen, but what the heck.

Let's say UVA and UNC are the Big Ten's next goals. If SEC wanted to go to 16, who would they get? Virginia Tech seems obvious, but beyond that, they apparently have a thing about not adding another school that in a state they are already in. Would West Virginia be on the line? If so the Big 12 is in an interesting situation.

To even get to 14 you'd have to think that Florida State, Clemson, Georgia Tech, NC State, Duke, Louisville would all be options. But the Big 12 could certainly survive.

If the Pac-12 wanted to join in the fun they would be much more limited in their options. BYU, Colorado State, Fresno State, San Diego State, Nevada, Boise State all are options to get to 16.

A strange mix of the Big East/ACC leftovers would form for a fifth conference.

Big 12 with sixteen teams in pods:

Texas
TCU
Baylor
Texas Tech

Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Kansas
Kansas State

Florida State
Georgia Tech
Clemson
Duke / Miami?

Iowa State
West Virginia / Duke
Louisville
NC State

Would certainly be interesting... Never gonna happen though

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
Let's say UVA and UNC are the Big Ten's next goals. If SEC wanted to go to 16, who would they get? Virginia Tech seems obvious, but beyond that, they apparently have a thing about not adding another school that in a state they are already in. Would West Virginia be on the line? If so the Big 12 is in an interesting situation.

SEC would be all over teams in NC to come with Virginia Tech IMHO. I wonder if UNC is in the middle of a bidding war between SEC and Big Ten?

Round that map out:
Mizzou-to-SEC-map.jpg

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
MHver3 ‏@MHver3
In a move to even divisions and further solidify basketball it looks like the ACC will add Uconn in all sports and St Johns and GT in bball

MHver3 ‏@MHver3
Not saying it is a done deal. Far from it at this point. We will know in a matter of days if not hours though. Like jury deliberations.

I love when these random bloggers throw out timelines. I laugh every time.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Duke home football games are like minor league baseball games around here. Tickets are dirt cheap. They frame it as a "family atmosphere". They have a friggin track around their field.

You should have seen it when Alabama came to town a year or two ago. Tide fans showed up the Monday of game week in RVs and camped all week. The stadium was filled... with red.

Perhaps Texas and Oklahoma will set up some sort of home and home deal if they join the league. Every year Duke goes to UT and OU in football, and UT and OU play at Duke in basketball. It's a win-win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Help Support Us

Become a patron