Preseason Expectations for 2012-13

What are your expectations for this year?

• Deep NCAA Tournament Run

Votes: 12 10.9%
  • NCAA Tournament Bid

Votes: 92 83.6%
  • NIT/CIT Bid

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • No Postseason Bid

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Move Over Kentucky! The New Champs Are Here!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cydline2cydline

Sep 17, 2011
Altoonaville
Not sure if a poll has been started about this, but I haven't seen one. I remember last year CW put a poll up asking what everyone's expectations were for last year.

I am thinking we are a tournament team, but maybe I am coming down with Hok syndrome, IDK.

What do you think?

Last edited:

cydeeps

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 7, 2010
Re: Expectations this year

I expect an NCAA tournament bid and I'm hoping for top 4 in the conference like last year.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
20-21 wins and a 5 seed in the big 12 tournament.

Best wins:mad:Iowa, Baylor @Texas

Bad losses: @Oklahoma, Texas

nallen34

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 9, 2010
Ankeny, IA
Considering the conference as a whole is better this year I expect us to make a step back placing 5th. But I also think this is a better team and that we will get a better seed in the NCAA tournament. I think we will get a 7 seed and make it to the sweet sixteen.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
I voted for NCAA bid - but wondered what people consider a "Deep Run" in the tourney?

IMO it means sweet 16 or better - which is surviving the first weekend, assuming not being involved in any of those stupid play-in games. Sweet 16 teams all get a lot more pub that week after winning their first two games, which is always sweet.

mjhavlo76

Jun 23, 2009
This team will hit some road bumps there is no doubt about that. We have a talented team, but Iowa State is playing in an improved Big XII conference, and they must beat a non-conference formidible opponent (UNLV,BYU, Iowa, or a Cincinnati), and NOT lose to team like Campbell or Yale to gain the respect of the NCAA tournament selection commitee. I think that the NCAA tournament is an attainable goal for the Cyclones though.

Rebounding, defense, and a healthy team will be key factors whether the Cyclones will be near the top of the conference standings when March comes along. Their offense I believe will be better than last season.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I voted for NCAA bid - but wondered what people consider a "Deep Run" in the tourney?

IMO it means sweet 16 or better - which is surviving the first weekend, assuming not being involved in any of those stupid play-in games. Sweet 16 teams all get a lot more pub that week after winning their first two games, which is always sweet.

That is a vague detail within the poll choices, leaves it open to some interpretation. I'd go with your definition, Sweet 16 or beyond, considering realistic hopes and recent levels of success. (If this was a 20th-ranked preseason team, "deep run" might mean Elite 8).

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I think simply making the NCAA tournament is a worthy goal. A run would be fantastic, but realistically, in Fred's third year, he is ahead of schedule. Another tournament appearance will solidify the national impression that Fred is building something special, and make Ames appear to be a basketball destination for recruits around the country. If Freddie can get that going, and continue to win the highly rated recruits like Niang, Morris and Thomas, watch the hell out.

kevdiv48

Apr 21, 2011
Houston
Not sure if I'm drinking the kool-aid or what, but I see no reason we shouldn't be solidly better than last year. Sweet Sixteen for sure. If we didn't shoot ourselves in the foot last year in the big 12 tourney and get the matchup with friggin UK we'd have been in the sweet 16 for sure. I think the team this year will be better even without Royce, Scotty and CA. I personally didn't think Royce was as great as many thought he was. Still appeared really raw and should have come back for his junior year hands down. But with a more conventional offense this year and a good amount of experience and depth, we should be able to go deep, even with a tougher conference and out of conference schedule.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Not sure if I'm drinking the kool-aid or what, but I see no reason we shouldn't be solidly better than last year. Sweet Sixteen for sure. If we didn't shoot ourselves in the foot last year in the big 12 tourney and get the matchup with friggin UK we'd have been in the sweet 16 for sure. I think the team this year will be better even without Royce, Scotty and CA. I personally didn't think Royce was as great as many thought he was. Still appeared really raw and should have come back for his junior year hands down. But with a more conventional offense this year and a good amount of experience and depth, we should be able to go deep, even with a tougher conference and out of conference schedule.

I repectfully disagree. Not only was Royce the leader in a whole bunch of areas for ISU (scoring, rebounding, assists, etc.) but with him ISU was able to play unconventionally which really made it more difficult for other teams to defend ISU. Now teams will be able to defend ISU like they do every other team; it won't require developing a drastically different game plan. Losing senior leaders and great shooters is no small matter either. Those three may have had their warts but it is still a lot to lose. Really being simply as good as last year is a pretty ambitious goal. Not to say that they might not be capable of more. Clyburn is certainly going to have to show more than he did in the exhibition game for them to have a chance at that. Depth in the post may be a problem against some Big 12 competition as well.