USA Today Loves the Big 10....again

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
As expected the media is once again salivating over the Big 10. Apparently Missouri was the only bball school we had in the Big 12 and it'd departure is the only noteworthy item for this year.

Five things to watch for college hoops season

I don't usually read the USA Today but it was the free paper at the hotel.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Yeah, yeah they love them some Big Ten yet not one word about the rising juggernaut in that league.

madcityCY

Nov 29, 2006
Madison, WI
As expected the media is once again salivating over the Big 10. Apparently Missouri was the only bball school we had in the Big 12 and it'd departure is the only noteworthy item for this year.

If you're taking a cursory look at the conferences (as the article is), the loss of Missouri does hurt the Big12 at the top. Last year, it was KU - MU, the ISU - BU. the top player (names) are gone (TRob, Royce, PJ3, etc.), so they're really isn't much to say.

at least in the preseason, I'm not sure what other conference to hype? It might not be deserved, but I don't think we know that yet.

for the record, I think the Big 12 will be tough 1-8, with quite a bit of parity. But on paper, I don't think it has a championship caliber team.

Jay_Clone

Mar 26, 2006
Johnston
I dont have any issues with this acticle. You read it in the free hotel paper and then searched it out online? Why waste your time if you didn't enjoy it the first time?

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
We have some of the most insecure fans in the country. The B10 was the best basketball conference in the country last year, and there is a good chance they will be again.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota

Big10 should only be stronger than last year, and last year they were the best. RPI proves it. 2011-2012 Men's College Basketball Conference RPI - WarrenNolan.com

NCAA Basketball RPI Ratings - NCAA BB Overall RPI Rtg Conference Ratings on TeamRankings.com

NCAA College Basketball Conference RPI - CBSSports.com

RealTimeRPI.com Men's College Basketball Rating Percentage Index (RPI) Ratings - A leading sports ratings and resources community on the Internet

So, what's your issue?

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK

RPI doesn't prove anything. There are only about 100 articles by basketball experts across the country that illustrate how bad the model is. Not saying the Big10 was not good, but you can't just say RPI says so and go about your day.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I see nothing wrong with that article. The Big 10 was one of the better conference in Basketball last season and should be even better this season. Also, losing Missouri does hurt the Big 12.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
From last year the Big 12 loses:

Misery (RPI 12)
Aggy (166)
Average of 89

They replace them with:
WVU (61)
TCU (119)
Average of 90

Looks pretty much like a wash. Not as strong at the top but more depth. Obviously these are last year's numbers and they don't predict what these squads are going to do this year. Missouri isn't perrenially that strong but why quibble about it. The Big 12 doesn't look greatly affected by the change.

As far as the Big 10, they were RPI #1 last year and a 81% non-con win percentage (Div 1 only). Big 12 was #3 with a 79% non-con win percentage.

I'm not sure what the problem is. It looks to me like the Big 10 was the clear #1 last year.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
RPI doesn't prove anything. There are only about 100 articles by basketball experts across the country that illustrate how bad the model is. Not saying the Big10 was not good, but you can't just say RPI says so and go about your day.

It's not just RPI. The Sagarin rankings had the B10 number one last year, as did KenPom.

USA TODAY

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
It's not just RPI. The Sagarin rankings had the B10 number one last year, as did KenPom.

USA TODAY

I like KenPom, and I am not saying they weren't. I just hate using RPI exclusively as the decider. The Big10 was good last year. That being said, as dependant as BB is on incoming freshman, I don't think anyone can say who the top conferences are going to be this year. And Mizzou lost alot from last years team.

Hawkeye11en1

Apr 22, 2011
Colorado
I like KenPom, and I am not saying they weren't. I just hate using RPI exclusively as the decider. The Big10 was good last year. That being said, as dependant as BB is on incoming freshman, I don't think anyone can say who the top conferences are going to be this year. And Mizzou lost alot from last years team.

So did ISU....

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
How did the dance shake out last year?

Well, the Big Ten had the same number of bids, and one more win than the Big 12.

Big Ten 11-6
Big 12 10-6
SEC 10-3 (thanks to Kentucky).

Again, what's your point? Not only was the BIG rated #1 in RPI, Kenpom, and Sagarin, but they had the second best conference tournament record (behind Kentucky). Oh, and they had the highest SOS and the best OOC winning percentage. What's your argument again?

Last edited: