Mountain Lion shot in Des Moines

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
What's with the big tent thing? It's not like it's some crime scene where they have to call in CSI. Cop shot an animal. I understand why it's a big story, don't understand why it's a big deal for the authorities.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
What's with the big tent thing? It's not like it's some crime scene where they have to call in CSI. Cop shot an animal. I understand why it's a big story, don't understand why it's a big deal for the authorities.

I don't think the police put it there...sounds like there was some sort of greenhouse already on the property and I'm assuming this was just part of it.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Wow...that is pretty scary.....lucky no one was hurt, etc.

On a side note, if I'm that "greenhouse" owner, I'm seeing if I can stuff that thing to drive business to my struggling greenhouse. :twitcy:

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
You mean the greenhouse on the property?

I don't think the police put it there...sounds like there was some sort of greenhouse already on the property and I'm assuming this was just part of it.

I guess it could have been that. I saw the reference to the greenhouse in the article, just didn't think greenhouse when I looked at pics 4 and 6. Talking about the netting thing.

Nevermind, carry on...

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
There is a dog in my neighborhood that I wish the cops would do the same thing.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
I'm not a tree hugger or anything but why do they have to kill them? Couldn't they tranquilize and relocate it?

EDIT: Oops. I guess I'm in the why couldn't they tranquilize it crowd now. No, but seriously, it's an honest question. I'm not an animal rights activist and I have no problem with hunting or any of that.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
I'll address the tranquilize question.

How many police officers carry tranquilizers? Zero.

Don't think they will wait for Blank Park Zoo to answer their need.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
Jack Hanna, the wildlife expert, addresses the issue well when all those animals were lose in Ohio:

Jack Hanna on Zanesville, Ohio, Animals: ‘We Would Have Had Carnage’ - ABC News

Hanna said tranquilizing wild animals is not as easy as many people believe.
“I’ve been out all over the world tranquilizing animals,” he said. “Can you imagine trying to tranquilize an animal in the dark. Fine, we have a spotlight. We hit it. You don’t know exactly: Did you hit a muscle? Did you hit a bone? If you hit the bone, the plunger might not work and put the medicine in. So what do we do? Then we send a veterinarian or the sheriff up there to see if the animal is down, right? What’s gonna happen if the animal is just sitting there not even asleep? You’re dead.”

Obviously the "night" aspect is specific to this case but the rest of it holds true.

Local police are not trained in proper usage of tranquilizers.

longtimeclone

Dec 8, 2009
Up north
I'm not a tree hugger or anything but why do they have to kill them? Couldn't they tranquilize and relocate it?

EDIT: Oops. I guess I'm in the why couldn't they tranquilize it crowd now. No, but seriously, it's an honest question. I'm not an animal rights activist and I have no problem with hunting or any of that.

My question is where do they relocate it. A zoo or back to the wild?

It is probably a lot easier to kill the animal then dispose of the body.

Oct 14, 2007
Ames
I'm sure in cities that have mountain lions and bears regularly wandering into town, there are a lot more officers trained in how to deal with that kind of situation. In Des Moines, animal control is usually being called in for raccoon and possums. And even if they did tranquilize it, what then? It's natural habitat is hundreds of miles away and transportation is difficult and expensive. It's unfortunate, but putting it down was simply the right thing to do.