Gun Enthusiasts: Please advise

madcityCY

Nov 29, 2006
Madison, WI
I've decided to purchase a handgun for home defense reasons. It's possible it will be used for concealed carry in the future (but it wouldn't be often), but compactness is not a big priority, as long as its not huge.

In a CCW situation (or even home defense for that matter) it would most likely be for my other half, so a gun that fits her hand, and is comfortable to shoot (no crazy recoil) is really the primary criteria. Price range, as you will see by the chosen options below is $400 - $500, base (not necessarily including accessories). I think I am targeting the .380/ 9mm/ .40 caliber range.

I am already a gun owner (.270 hunting rifle), but don't however know that much about handguns. My frame of reference is about 30 trigger pulls on a Springfield XDM 40, which I really like, but I think that might be 1.) a little more power than she would be comfortable with, and 2.) a bit out of my price range. Also, I would like to note that she will be taking a class(es) about handgun care, use, safety. I might enroll myself as well - not sure yet.

So, with no further ado, these are some options. Anyone have any experience with these models or makers? Another model I should consider that meets my criteria?

Gander Mountain® > CZ-USA CZ P-07 Duty Handgun with Tactical Light - Firearms > Handguns > Semi-Auto Pistols :

Gander Mountain® > Ruger SR40c Handgun - Firearms > Handguns > Semi-Auto Pistols :

Gander Mountain® > Walther PK380 Handgun - Firearms > Handguns > Semi-Auto Pistols :

Gander Mountain® > Ruger SR40 Handgun - Firearms > Handguns > Semi-Auto Pistols :

Gander Mountain® > European American Armory Witness Handgun - Firearms > Handguns > Semi-Auto Pistols :

Gander Mountain® > Ruger SR9c Handgun - Firearms > Handguns > Semi-Auto Pistols :

Gander Mountain® > Taurus Model 92 Handgun - Firearms > Handguns > Semi-Auto Pistols :

Gander Mountain® > Smith Wesson SD40 Handgun - Firearms > Handguns > Semi-Auto Pistols :

Gander Mountain® > Taurus Model PT-100 Handgun. - Firearms > Handguns > Semi-Auto Pistols :

FYI- my mind is made up, so please don't lecture me about getting a dog (we have one) or anything else. Also, I don't intend this to be a gun rights/ political thread - so create a new one in the cave if you want to rail on some aspect of that. Thanks in advance.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I dont know anything about handguns, but a laser light would be fun. As soon as the red dot hits them, they know something is gonna follow if they dont change their tone.

jj-cyclones

Dec 26, 2007
Ames
I have a Smith Wesson 40. Love it, but it has a very long trigger pull that pry wouldn't be the best for your other half.

If you want the most simple gun on the market, I would go with a Glock. They make a 40 and a 9mm in a mini size, that will fit anyone's hand.

Rugers are good guns, but I had some problems with rust, so make sure to clean it often.

BigLame

Feb 6, 2008
Western IA
My personal preference would be to stick with a 9mm. It has the most choices for plinking/target shooting ammunition as well as the top-notch stuff for self-defense. 40-cal has more jump/recoil, & 380 may not have the 'lethality' needed & at times the ammo has been extremely high even though it is the smallest of the 3. To be honest, I am not too familiar with the 380 & do know they have become more popular with more people going with concealabe weapons.

Understand your price range, but if you go with a little more you could add Sig. Can't go wrong with a Sig out of the box & I think they started to offer a 380 in the past year or so that has been a popular seller. While most firearms have pretty good reliability, as with most important things in life, you may get what you pay for - fwiw

Kyle

Mar 30, 2006
Check into a Glock 19. If you can go somewhere that you can actually shoot the guns prior to purchase that is highly recommended.

Reactions: JBone84

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Most people say a shotgun for home defense. I don't own a gun and am not a gun guy, but that's what I've read on the internet, so it's true.

JBone84

Nov 30, 2006
Rochester, MN
Best gun for home defense = shotgun.

That said, Glock 19 or 17, both 9mm. You can go pick one up for $500 new in box (not at Gander Mountain, Scheels, etc - they will charge you $575 or so). Will shoot anything you put through it, won't fail, no external safety for your significant other to forget to flip off when SHTF. Will also work great for conceal carry if you decide to go that route.

You don't want .380 as your only defense load. .380 is good for carrying in the summer when you don't have any concealment options (with your carry license, of course) and for a backup gun.

JBone84

Nov 30, 2006
Rochester, MN
If you like the Springfield XDM, you can get a very similar model - the XD - for about $75 or $100 less. You don't get the match grade barrel and sacrifice some ergonomic / aesthetic "improvements".

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
Check into a Glock 19. If you can go somewhere that you can actually shoot the guns prior to purchase that is highly recommended.

If you can test guns out prior to buying, you'll be much more satisfied. For example, I was looking to get a Ruger LC9 (9mm ultra concealable single stack). Thought for sure that was the gun for me. Tried it out and discovered I hated it with a passion.

I did pick up a Ruger LCP (380 Auto) for ultra concealability. As others have noted, thed .380 Auto cartridge isn't the most powerful in the world, but I carry hollow points, plus a typical encounter where you'd need to use the gun is going to be close quarters anyway.

I also have Smith & Wesson M&P 9c. That's a sweet-shooting gun. It's a compact 9mm (which means it's still decently sized). Smooth trigger pull, easy to be accurate with. FWIW, it's the gun they issue to ICE and some other federal agencies.

My brother picked up a Kimber 40. Haven't shot it yet, so couldn't give any insight into it.

All that being said, I think you'd be fine with a 9mm for home defense. The kick isn't bad at all. Get hollow point ammunition to put in it.

JBone84

Nov 30, 2006
Rochester, MN
If you can test guns out prior to buying, you'll be much more satisfied. For example, I was looking to get a Ruger LC9 (9mm ultra concealable single stack). Thought for sure that was the gun for me. Tried it out and discovered I hated it with a passion.

I did pick up a Ruger LCP (380 Auto) for ultra concealability. As others have noted, thed .380 Auto cartridge isn't the most powerful in the world, but I carry hollow points, plus a typical encounter where you'd need to use the gun is going to be close quarters anyway.

I also have Smith & Wesson M&P 9c. That's a sweet-shooting gun. It's a compact 9mm (which means it's still decently sized). Smooth trigger pull, easy to be accurate with. FWIW, it's the gun they issue to ICE and some other federal agencies.

My brother picked up a Kimber 40. Haven't shot it yet, so couldn't give any insight into it.

All that being said, I think you'd be fine with a 9mm for home defense. The kick isn't bad at all. Get hollow point ammunition to put in it.

This would also be a good candidate, essentially the same size as the Glock 19. Can get with or without external safety depending on preference.

Storkenheimer

Oct 2, 2011
If you are not stuck on a semi auto, check into a .38 special revolver. Something like a Smith and Wesson 638 is good for concealed carry, has manageable recoil (for your wife), and is simple to operate. Reliability and simplicity could be good for someone who is new to handguns.

Otherwise I would recommend a Springfield XD 40 with a 5 inch barrel. The extra weight out front helps to reduce recoil and muzzle flip.

Just my $.02 from my limited experience. Good luck.

JBone84

Nov 30, 2006
Rochester, MN
My personal preference would be to stick with a 9mm. It has the most choices for plinking/target shooting ammunition as well as the top-notch stuff for self-defense. 40-cal has more jump/recoil, & 380 may not have the 'lethality' needed & at times the ammo has been extremely high even though it is the smallest of the 3. To be honest, I am not too familiar with the 380 & do know they have become more popular with more people going with concealabe weapons.

Understand your price range, but if you go with a little more you could add Sig. Can't go wrong with a Sig out of the box & I think they started to offer a 380 in the past year or so that has been a popular seller. While most firearms have pretty good reliability, as with most important things in life, you may get what you pay for - fwiw

I missed this in your post earlier - I have a Sig P238 which is the .380 you're referring to. It is awesome, like a mini-1911.

JBone84

Nov 30, 2006
Rochester, MN
If you are not stuck on a semi auto, check into a .38 special revolver. Something like a Smith and Wesson 638 is good for concealed carry, has manageable recoil (for your wife), and is simple to operate. Reliability and simplicity could be good for someone who is new to handguns.

Otherwise I would recommend a Springfield XD 40 with a 5 inch barrel. The extra weight out front helps to reduce recoil and muzzle flip.

Just my $.02 from my limited experience. Good luck.

Good advice here - I'm a semi-auto guy myself but a simple wheelgun is great for newbies.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
Find a place she can hold and test fire them. How they feel in her hand and when firing is most important.

IF there's a good firearms store near you that's where I'd purchase as Gander/Cabela's/etc are generally over priced.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
Find a place she can hold and test fire them. How they feel in her hand and when firing is most important.

IF there's a good firearms store near you that's where I'd purchase as Gander/Cabela's/etc are generally over priced.

Also a good idea - if you are expecting your better half to be the one wielding the gun, she better be comfortable with it. My GF is terrified of guns. Took her to the range, she was fine with a .22, but when we moved up to a .380, she decided that was too much. It's all about building confidence at that point.

A gun store will also give you better customer service, I have found. At least here in Texas, the gun store employees all carry (open carry is allowed on private premises - i.e. the gun shop) and all have quite a bit of experience with various guns and can give you their perspective. At a larger retailer, the person "helping" you might have never fired the guns you are interested in.

Storkenheimer

Oct 2, 2011
If you are not stuck on a semi auto, check into a .38 special revolver. Something like a Smith and Wesson 638 is good for concealed carry, has manageable recoil (for your wife), and is simple to operate. Reliability and simplicity could be good for someone who is new to handguns. Otherwise I would recommend a Springfield XD 40 with a 5 inch barrel. The extra weight out front helps to reduce recoil and muzzle flip.Just my $.02 from my limited experience. Good luck.

I forgot to mention that the Smith and Wesson .38 special airweight revolvers that I mentioned can be bought for about $330. Plus you don't need to buy a lot of extra mags and stuff.

S&W revolvers are some of the best IMO.

DeBruzzio

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
Fort Dodge native
Remington 870 12 gauge, 3 inch magnum chamber, 20 inch Deerslayer barrel, loaded with double-aught buckshot. Take the duck plug out and you have 5 shells at the waiting and then maybe just the distintive sound of the pump action cycling a shell into the chamber could ward off the intruder.

JBone84

Nov 30, 2006
Rochester, MN
I forgot to mention that the Smith and Wesson .38 special airweight revolvers that I mentioned can be bought for about $330. Plus you don't need to buy a lot of extra mags and stuff.

S&W revolvers are some of the best IMO.

I would agree about S&W revolvers. The revolvers will tend to be less expensive than the semi-autos - that is a good point.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Get a shotgun and a hacksaw, preferably both at the same time. Then play Straight Outta Compton for your wife to get her in the right frame of mind.

Help Support Us

Become a patron