It's all in the hands

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Falselife

Jul 28, 2011
So after looking over the UNI game, and rewatching the Iowa game, I have a theory.

My theory is simple, and pretty obvious. Steele doesn't have experience in cold games, and marginal experience in rain. It would explain his accuracy issues against UNI and how he looked like a different QB against Iowa.

The kid played high school football in Nevada. Then went to San Fran where he played almost exclusively west coast teams. Bad weather was likely extremely rare. I fear that Jantz will continue to struggle in inclement weather until he has some time to work through and understand the conditions and how they effect his grip, ball flight, etc. I'b curious to know how big his hands are, as small handed qb's across the board struggle in bad weather games.

That said, it looks to be a bit brisk in Hartford tonight, but luckily sunny up until kickoff and not a drop of precipitation.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Weren't small hands and playing in the rain Seneca's problem? Steele is 6'3" so hopefully he doesn't have the hand size issues. I think Steele's mechanics are a little inconsistent and that's why a lot of his balls go high.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
If this is true perhaps they can install some sort of giant walk-in cooler in the new football facility that Farniok and Jantz can practice snaps in.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
The kid played high school football in Nevada. Then went to San Fran where he played almost exclusively west coast teams. Bad weather was likely extremely rare.

Yah, because San Francisco is known for it's sunshine and lack of rain.

Seneca: it's too bad he didn't amount to anything. Those small hands have kept him from spending 8 years playing for NFL teams in cold, rainy environments. Wait, no they didn't. Seattle to Cleveland.

Last edited:

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Heres my theory and also a crazy one. It had nothing to do with the rain because it barely sprinkled. It had more to do with the line not getting the job done against UNI and not giving Steele enough time to make decisions. If it was because it was too wet and cold (which it wasn't) then he shouldn't play football.

CP44

Nov 27, 2006
Heres my theory and also a crazy one. It had nothing to do with the rain because it barely sprinkled. It had more to do with the line not getting the job done against UNI and not giving Steele enough time to make decisions. If it was because it was too wet and cold (which it wasn't) then he shouldn't play football.

u must be out of your mind! :jimlad:

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Steele will have his struggles this year, I don't doubt that but Im not sure weather will play a huge part alteast not until late in the year. But I don't think thats just a Steele Jantz issue, Blaine Gabbert was a first round pick and he struggled big time late in the year in Ames. Steele is still relatively raw, and he makes a lot of things happen on the fly. Inevitably thats going to get him in trouble somewhere along the line. 2 of his INT's against UNI were when tried a little too hard to create a play. He didn't make bad choices, just was off on his throws.

WaverlyCy

Oct 12, 2010

That's crazy talk right there!!

cyman1189

Aug 11, 2008
Akron, OH

BLASPHEMY!!! OFF WITH HIS HEAD!

Falselife

Jul 28, 2011

Damn, was preferring my approach as it kept some hope.

If we thought UNI massacred us on the line, why the hell is everyone so optimistic about tonight's game? Their DL is legitimate.

2020cy

Aug 7, 2006
So after looking over the UNI game, and rewatching the Iowa game, I have a theory.

My theory is simple, and pretty obvious. Steele doesn't have experience in cold games, and marginal experience in rain. It would explain his accuracy issues against UNI and how he looked like a different QB against Iowa.

The kid played high school football in Nevada. Then went to San Fran where he played almost exclusively west coast teams. Bad weather was likely extremely rare. I fear that Jantz will continue to struggle in inclement weather until he has some time to work through and understand the conditions and how they effect his grip, ball flight, etc. I'b curious to know how big his hands are, as small handed qb's across the board struggle in bad weather games.

That said, it looks to be a bit brisk in Hartford tonight, but luckily sunny up until kickoff and not a drop of precipitation.
I believe it was Mark Twain that said, " The coldest winter I ever experienced was a summer in San Francisco " or something along those lines.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Anyone who can swing out wide right out of the backfield and throw back across the field some a 35 yard rope must have big enough hands.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
Average days with rain: Sept - Oct- Nov
San Fanscisco - 3 - 6 - 8
Ames, IA 6 - 8 - 8

Average temp Sept- Oct- Nov
San Fransicso,CA 69 - 61 - 54
Ames, IA 64 - 52- 37

If there a differnce yes- Huge difference no. San Fransicso is same latitude as Kansas City and is on the coast. It is a fairly cool, damp climate. I don't think Jantz will be in for much of a weather schock until late November if at all.

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
Damn, was preferring my approach as it kept some hope.

If we thought UNI massacred us on the line, why the hell is everyone so optimistic about tonight's game? Their DL is legitimate.

Please tell me you're joking. Are you not aware that our 2 best OL played about 2 quarters TOTAL between the two of them? Hicks was suspended and KO played only half the game because of an ankle injury.

Our O-line was incredible against Iowa.

This is really a bad post. Also, have you ever been to San Fransisco? Do you know anything about the weather there? Hint, it's not in southern California.

This whole thread is terrible.

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006

Man, I Just had to read this again to get a full grasp of how bad a job the OP did here. :eek:

Waquoit

Aug 24, 2011
Seneca: it's too bad he didn't amount to anything. Those small hands have kept him from spending 8 years playing for NFL teams in cold, rainy environments. Wait, no they didn't. Seattle to Cleveland.

He did lose to to UConn, however.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver

I guess rule #1 on this board is never interrupt a Jantzgasm.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver

Did you not watch the first game? He threw some pretty ****** balls even when he had time. Plus, he was being pressured against Iowa and still threw well.