Hope for Lucca

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
ESPN - Report: G'town's Mescheriakov to miss 10 games - Men's College Basketball

Georgetown freshman forward Nikita Mescheriakov violated NCAA rules by playing briefly with a pro team in his native Belarus and will miss the Hoyas' first 10 games of the season, according to a published report.
The Washington Post reported Thursday that the 6-foot-8 Mescheriakov, who was not paid for his service to the pro team, will be eligible to return to game action for a Dec. 31 home contest against Fordham.
Mescheriakov wasn't expected to contribute immediately to the fifth-ranked Hoyas, according to the paper, but several teammates have spoken highly of his shooting ability.
The Hoyas start their season Saturday against William & Mary.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I don't see that as good news, exactly. It says he played "briefly" and I think I read on the Dogus Balbay threads that the rule is to suspend the player one game for each game they played on the "professional" team. Lucca got the max because he played on the "professional" team for three years.

clones26

Nov 8, 2006
Urbandale
hope...more like proof he is getting the short end of the stick. I saw this on ESPN.com and had to read it twice just to make sure I read it right.

ahaselhu

Sep 10, 2007
Clarinda, IA
I'm not sure that makes me too much more hopeful. It says this guy only played a "few" games, and got a 10 game suspension. As I understand it, Lucca played 3 years.

I hope I'm wrong, but this sounds like bad news to me.

CloneCubbie

Sep 14, 2007
Gods Country (Ames), Iowa
I just finished reading your other thread with the email responce that you recieved, and felt like we were doomed... now I have a glimmer of hope. Although I must maintain that I am a Cyclone fan, and will expect the worst...

IF Lucca is also suspended for 10 games. He'd be back for the Dec 17th Bethune Cookman game i assume. I'm guessing that the first two games so far would be 'time served'.

He'd miss the Iowa game by one! I'm pulling for a 9 game suspension!!!!

=============================
Edit: Okay, okay, maybe I didn't read it all the way through... I see what you guys are saying and now I'm sad again...

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Ok, here's something else I just thought of. What about these guys that go to NBA draft camps and workouts to test their draft stock but still stay eligible if they pull their name out of the draft? They are playing with professional players and to me that is even more shady that what Lucca did because you have agents and pro scouts associating with you trying to convince you to go pro.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Ok, here's something else I just thought of. What about these guys that go to NBA draft camps and workouts to test their draft stock but still stay eligible if they pull their name out of the draft? They are playing with professional players and to me that is even more shady that what Lucca did because you have agents and pro scouts associating with you trying to convince you to go pro.

The problem, as the NCAA sees it, isn't that Lucca played with professional players, it's that he played on a "professional" team, with them defining "professional" as any team that plays any of its players any amount of money, above some invisible line. No one is paid to play at the draft camps, or in the summer leagues. Which is why, again as the NCAA sees it, Lucca's case deserves suspension and the other things you cite don't.

I think any appeal by ISU and Lucca would have to focus on the "professional" status of the team and Lucca & ISU's reasonable knowledge of that status and not on the fact that Lucca wasn't paid anything.

bootcy

Apr 12, 2006
Waukee
However, Dogus Balbay spent several years on a professional team in a completely professional league in Turkey with no suspension on ineligibility to show for it.

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
However, Dogus Balbay spent several years on a professional team in a completely professional league in Turkey with no suspension on ineligibility to show for it.

A couple weeks ago someone posted the questionairre that Lucca and Dogus and other foreign nationals have to complete to become certified by the NCAA. As I recall, the form of the questionairre could lead two players with the same or similar backgrounds to answer the same question in a different manner. For example, I'm thinking that Lucca answered "I don't know" to questions about the amateur status of his teammates while Dogus was more definitive (but not necessarily accurate) with his answers.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
The NCAA can shove it. I think a good example (and this is even giving the NCAA the benefit of the doubt) would be Tiger Woods. When he was in college he played in the US Open and I believe the Masters and did not take money (even if he had placed) so he kept his amateur status. Even if this was "a pro team", Lucca never took money, therefore he never was a professional. This is a joke.

kg-cyclone

Oct 30, 2006
All I know is that the staff is pissed today- no details, but doesn't sound good.

bootcy

Apr 12, 2006
Waukee
A couple weeks ago someone posted the questionairre that Lucca and Dogus and other foreign nationals have to complete to become certified by the NCAA. As I recall, the form of the questionairre could lead two players with the same or similar backgrounds to answer the same question in a different manner. For example, I'm thinking that Lucca answered "I don't know" to questions about the amateur status of his teammates while Dogus was more definitive (but not necessarily accurate) with his answers.

So, you are stating that because Dogus lied out his a$$, he is eligible and Lucaa is not.

jahfg

Apr 19, 2006
Ames
There is no hope for Lucca folks, it is over.

I'm not saying you are wrong, but why do you act is if you are in the know on this situation. Throughout this whole thing, you have been acting as if you know something the rest of us don't. Do you have inside info or what?

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I don't have inside information but putting all of the little pieces together...I'm thinking there is a 80%+ chance he is gone for the year. Which means he likely will never put on an ISU jersey.

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
To be honest, if the NCAA goes through with this, I hope he tells them to F off and goes back to Europe, plays for coin there, and then ends up in the league here.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron