MLB: What happened?

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
I used to love baseball. I remember "being able to smell it", and craving...wanting that smell. For some reason, I just don't give a dump anymore, but I can't put my finger on why. I'm a Cub fan, so it's not like losing is the problem. I have a couple thoughts, but I'm not sure if they are enough to completely shut me off the game I once enjoyed more than them all.

Anybody else feel the same?

Reactions: Rogue52

geburgess

Jan 19, 2010
WDM, IA
Do you dig the long ball? Because it's definitely more of a pitchers game now, with more emphasis on defensive in the field to limit runs than just trying to out-hit the other team like the late 90's was.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Do you dig the long ball? Because it's definitely more of a pitchers game now, with more emphasis on defensive in the field to limit runs than just trying to out-hit the other team like the late 90's was.

No, not really. I like(d) baseball. National League guy, meaning I think the DH is stupid, but I'm not old enough to know what baseball is like without the DH. I am old enough to have seen Andre Dawson win an NL MVP for a last place team, while leading the league with something like 37 HRs. His average was below .300.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I've never really been much of a baseball fan. Like golf, it's fun to play but not all that great to watch on tv. Anyway, the most interest I ever showed in it was during the steroid era. I got hooked on the Sosa/McGwire HR chase and then lost interest again some time around the season after Schilling's bloody sock game in the World Series. It's just my opinion, but the game was more entertaining when players were juicing. Having said that, I'm glad MLB cleaned it up....who knows what kind of long term damage those players did to themselves with all the junk they were ingesting/injecting/etc.?

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
No, not really. I like(d) baseball. National League guy, meaning I think the DH is stupid, but I'm not old enough to know what baseball is like without the DH. I am old enough to have seen Andre Dawson win an NL MVP for a last place team, while leading the league with something like 37 HRs. His average was below .300.

.287, 47 homers, 137 RBIs, if I remember right.

I loved my "Awesome Dawson" T-shirts:yes:

I'm still excited for baseball. At the same time, I'm usually doing something while I watch the game, so there's some balance there.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
.287, 47 homers, 137 RBIs, if I remember right.

I loved my "Awesome Dawson" T-shirts:yes:

I'm still excited for baseball. At the same time, I'm usually doing something while I watch the game, so there's some balance there.

Yeah...I just looked it up and he hit 49 home runs in '87. Damn, that was a long time ago, but still, my fault for not doing the research up front. I thought I could count on my old *** memory :smile:

Still, I think my disinterest really just started this year. I think I blame Jim Hendry and these god awful contracts (i.e. Soriano, Fukudome, Smardjia (sp?)), for the most part. A few others:

- ESPN: It's all Yankees and Red Sox...all the time...and I can't stand guys like Orel Hershiser doing the color commentary. Also, I was watching BT last night, and Nomar Garciaparra, along with Mark Mulder as analysts?? They're terrible. I can't stand guys like Tim Kirkjan anymore, either.

- Steriods/PEDs: The game, and it's innocence, exposed in a big way. Now, when you turn the TV on, all you see, if it's not Yankees/Red Sox drivel, is Barry Bonds and/or Manny Ramirez. Maybe I'm ****** because I feel I've been duped all these years.

- The passing of Ron Santo: A couple of things here. There is no excuse for MLB to have not put this man in the HOF before he died. NONE. That, and I miss guys like him calling games. Once Jack Buck goes, that breed will have died off, to never return.

- The money grab, in general: This is not only aimed at large-market teams. "Small-market" organizations do it to, but under the muse they aren't. I remember reading a few years back something like 4 franchises turn a profit, while everyone else loses money each and every year. This is abslutely false. I be willing to bet the owners of the so-called "small-market franchises" are making more than anyone else, while using their "predicament" of being in KC, Pittsburgh, Milwaukee, for example, to gouge their fan bases without the worry of putting a winner on the field.

- Absence of a salary cap: If it works for the NFL (and, no, this is not a reason for the current lock-out), it should work for MLB. Is anybody really worth, or need, the $30+ million Pujols is going to "demand" on the open market next year??

There are probably more reasons, but I think I have proven myself jaded enough for one morning.

Reactions: CycloneErik

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Not enough parity.

This excuse is a poor one, only one repeat World Series winner in the last 10 years and all but 5 teams in the playoffs in the past 5 years(Toronto, Orioles, Royals, Pittsburgh, Washington) and I actually believe most if not all of the 25 remaining have been in the past 5. I'm not denying the playing field is uneven but baseball certainly has its share of parity.

SwirlingFloater

Dec 19, 2008
West Des Moines
When I was a kid I used to read the box scores in the paper every morning, I can't remember the last time I even looked at the standings. A big part of that for me is likely the fact that I have always been a Royals fan and they haven't mattered since 1985.

I miss the days of George Brett, Tony Gwynn, Cal Ripken Jr., Ryne Sandberg and other players that spent the majority of their career with one club.

I think the huge contracts that the Yankees, Phillies, Red Sox and other big market clubs can afford to offer hurt the league overall. I was thrilled for Twins fans last year that they were able to keep Joe Mauer.

CYVADER

Nov 16, 2006
Cornfields
what happened? this:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEcHZAXSBzc&feature=related]YouTube - The boring game of Baseball - this is what the game looks like 90 % of the time ;)[/ame]

CloneCone21

Mar 11, 2009
Ames
I started watching baseball in 01 (I'm 17) and I've been a yankees fan my whole life. For me I've noticed the same thing with not caring as much. I liked in 01-05 ish when teams had identities, and it seemed like teams just cared more. Tons of player fights, crowd participation (who's your daddy? for big papi) and intense moments like 03 aaron boone and 04 comeback as much as i hated it. Now though it seems like the players are just playing for the money. They move around So much, it seems like teams lose their identity. Heck Mariano Rivera said in an interview he considered playing for the red sox if they had offered him a little more money. It's ridiculous. I wish players cared more about the team and less about the money. The passion just seems to be gone.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
I started watching baseball in 01 (I'm 17) and I've been a yankees fan my whole life. For me I've noticed the same thing with not caring as much. I liked in 01-05 ish when teams had identities, and it seemed like teams just cared more. Tons of player fights, crowd participation (who's your daddy? for big papi) and intense moments like 03 aaron boone and 04 comeback as much as i hated it. Now though it seems like the players are just playing for the money. They move around So much, it seems like teams lose their identity. Heck Mariano Rivera said in an interview he considered playing for the red sox if they had offered him a little more money. It's ridiculous. I wish players cared more about the team and less about the money. The passion just seems to be gone.

This makes me feel better, thank you. I was wondering if I was just becoming the old, crotchety guy who was now out of touch.

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
I used to love baseball. I remember "being able to smell it", and craving...wanting that smell. For some reason, I just don't give a dump anymore, but I can't put my finger on why. I'm a Cub fan, so it's not like losing is the problem. I have a couple thoughts, but I'm not sure if they are enough to completely shut me off the game I once enjoyed more than them all.

This is how I felt a lot when Pinella was the coach. As much as I loved him I didnt care for many of the players. There was no excitement brought to the Cubs in those years (other than the two NL Central Championships). I'd much rather be a fan of a team who is exciting to watch and enjoys baseball than a team who is a bunch of all-stars who don't care if they win as long as the paycheck rolls in. I have a new sense of excitement for the cubs this year b/c of Matt Garza, Andrew Cashner, Darwin Barney, and Starlin Castro. I love watching the young guys go at it with passion that trumphs all of the all-stars. I've payed more attention to the Cubs this year than I did in each of the Pinella years.

cyfreddy

Oct 15, 2006

I think in a way fantasy baseball has hurt baseball. My wife, cannot understand how I root against the Cub players all of the time, it is because I do not have very few of them on my team.

I think Free Agency has hurt the sport, and so many games on tv. I remember growing up on a farm listening to WGN radio fade in and out, but love listening to that. I think maybe technology has also hurt the sport.

Another thing that hurts baseball is the length of the season, it starts in late March and goes into November. When I was growing up the season was over by the middle of October. Back then they play allot of back to back double header's, which I loved to go to.

CYVADER

Nov 16, 2006
Cornfields

that was directed toward pedro, not big papi, since he said he had to tip his cap to them and call them his daddy.

RandomFan

Aug 11, 2009
Yeah...I just looked it up and he hit 49 home runs in '87. Damn, that was a long time ago, but still, my fault for not doing the research up front. I thought I could count on my old *** memory :smile:

Still, I think my disinterest really just started this year. I think I blame Jim Hendry and these god awful contracts (i.e. Soriano, Fukudome, Smardjia (sp?)), for the most part. A few others:

- ESPN: It's all Yankees and Red Sox...all the time...and I can't stand guys like Orel Hershiser doing the color commentary. Also, I was watching BT last night, and Nomar Garciaparra, along with Mark Mulder as analysts?? They're terrible. I can't stand guys like Tim Kirkjan anymore, either.

- Steriods/PEDs: The game, and it's innocence, exposed in a big way. Now, when you turn the TV on, all you see, if it's not Yankees/Red Sox drivel, is Barry Bonds and/or Manny Ramirez. Maybe I'm ****** because I feel I've been duped all these years.

- The passing of Ron Santo: A couple of things here. There is no excuse for MLB to have not put this man in the HOF before he died. NONE. That, and I miss guys like him calling games. Once Jack Buck goes, that breed will have died off, to never return.

- The money grab, in general: This is not only aimed at large-market teams. "Small-market" organizations do it to, but under the muse they aren't. I remember reading a few years back something like 4 franchises turn a profit, while everyone else loses money each and every year. This is abslutely false. I be willing to bet the owners of the so-called "small-market franchises" are making more than anyone else, while using their "predicament" of being in KC, Pittsburgh, Milwaukee, for example, to gouge their fan bases without the worry of putting a winner on the field.

- Absence of a salary cap: If it works for the NFL (and, no, this is not a reason for the current lock-out), it should work for MLB. Is anybody really worth, or need, the $30+ million Pujols is going to "demand" on the open market next year??

There are probably more reasons, but I think I have proven myself jaded enough for one morning.

Your comment about ESPN is a big reason in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, I'm still a huge baseball fan, but I hardly ever watch ESPN. It is such a love-fest for Red Sox and Yankees, it is pathetic.

I still love listening to games on the radio and going to games. To me going to a Cubs game and sitting in the bleachers is just about a perfect day (and I'm not even a Cubs fan).

If you're really wanting to get that love of baseball back, get some friends together and head out to Wrigley. Guaranteed cure.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Your comment about ESPN is a big reason in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, I'm still a huge baseball fan, but I hardly ever watch ESPN. It is such a love-fest for Red Sox and Yankees, it is pathetic.

I still love listening to games on the radio and going to games. To me going to a Cubs game and sitting in the bleachers is just about a perfect day (and I'm not even a Cubs fan).

If you're really wanting to get that love of baseball back, get some friends together and head out to Wrigley. Guaranteed cure.

I've been to Wrigley about 15 times, and it was awesome every time, which brings another possible reason to the surface. I have 2 young kids. The chances of going again in the near future are slim to none.

cyclonestate

May 4, 2009
I'll tell you what's happening for me. The older I get, the more I realize that there are more important things in my life than sports. I'm still a huge sports fan, but I no longer live and die with my favorite team's next game. I'm still a cyclone fanatic, though!

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron