Recruiting: Taylor Greenfield down to 2

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Doesn't necessarily mean she's down to two, but I'd be surprised if she went anywhere other than ISU or Stanford.

I wish we weren't in the middle of all of this conference demolition stuff because right now we can't honestly tell a recruit what conference we will be in. I guess the good news is we should know something on the conference stuff very soon.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
I wish we weren't in the middle of all of this conference demolition stuff because right now we can't honestly tell a recruit what conference we will be in. I guess the good news is we should know something on the conference stuff very soon.

I've been convinced that Greenfield is ours - but that was assuming we were still in the best women's bb conference in the country.
If the Big 12 dissolves, I don't like our chances. She wants to play the best.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
I've been convinced that Greenfield is ours - but that was assuming we were still in the best women's bb conference in the country.
If the Big 12 dissolves, I don't like our chances. She wants to play the best.

This is probably a bad time for me to point out that most of the good WBB programs in the Big 12 may be joining Stanford's conference.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
This is probably a bad time for me to point out that most of the good WBB programs in the Big 12 may be joining Stanford's conference.
Cool your tool. You may jinx us. You and TO.:wink:

mhalb

Apr 11, 2010
Iowa
I think we have a big chance. She's already knows what we can do. Even if we get switched to a crappier conference, nothing will change about our program. We'll still be good. Sure, we are going to have to work harder in the non conference season, so that we can get recognized. I don't think that will be a decision in her choosing. We'll give her NCAA tournaments, and it won't be just a first or second round run. They'll be sweet sixteens and elite eights, and hopefully more. She's going to look at our previous seasons not what conference we're in. Also, we have already made ourselves known around the nation for our women's basketball program, so a conference switch won't do much.

Legend12

May 9, 2008
I think we have a big chance. She's already knows what we can do. Even if we get switched to a crappier conference, nothing will change about our program. We'll still be good. Sure, we are going to have to work harder in the non conference season, so that we can get recognized. I don't think that will be a decision in her choosing. We'll give her NCAA tournaments, and it won't be just a first or second round run. They'll be sweet sixteens and elite eights, and hopefully more. She's going to look at our previous seasons not what conference we're in. Also, we have already made ourselves known around the nation for our women's basketball program, so a conference switch won't do much.

That all depends on what conference ISU ends up in. Anything other than a BCS level conference and the program will be undergoing major changes.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
That all depends on what conference ISU ends up in. Anything other than a BCS level conference and the program will be undergoing major changes.

What major changes - a mass exodous of players, Fennelly leaving? First, Fennelly is not going anywhere. He's had plenty of chances (Wisconsin, Ohio State), and he chose to stay here. Second, players play for coaches, and if you look at the players Fennelly recruits, they are not typically top 25 kids. Third, Stanford is not going to be the big fish in the pond if you add the six schools from the B12. Baylor, A&M, OU and TX are all going to give Stanford a run for their money. The Pac-10 is VERY weak in womens basketball and Stanford has been able to control the league, that won't happen when you add the B12 schools. The B12 schools won't have to play each other twice in the Pac 10, they would only play once, since they'll have to play everyone at least once in conference play. Suddenly Stanford has to travel to Norman, Waco, College Station, and Austin, things are different for them, and they don't have this great record because they have to play against more than just one or two decent schools in the Pac 10.

I am amazed at all the people who have thrown in the towel with our athletic programs if the B12 dies. If I didn't know any better from reading some of the posts on here, you would be led to believe our athletic department is going to shut down completely.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
What major changes - a mass exodous of players, Fennelly leaving? First, Fennelly is not going anywhere. He's had plenty of chances (Wisconsin, Ohio State), and he chose to stay here. Second, players play for coaches, and if you look at the players Fennelly recruits, they are not typically top 25 kids. Third, Stanford is not going to be the big fish in the pond if you add the six schools from the B12. Baylor, A&M, OU and TX are all going to give Stanford a run for their money. The Pac-10 is VERY weak in womens basketball and Stanford has been able to control the league, that won't happen when you add the B12 schools.

Um, yeah, except for the fact that Fennelly himself has said a million times that "playing in the best women's bb conference in America" is one of his biggest recruiting pitches, right behind our tremendous crowd support. He challenges recruits by asking if they want to play against the best. He put that question to players at the Elite Camp last week. He has put the question to Greenfield. Now it may have no meaning at all. Now Stanford can say "come play against the best." As if they need any more help.
We will lose all of our big rivalry games - OU, Texas, Nebraska. And you don't think that will hurt recruiting? Are you kidding?

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Um, yeah, except for the fact that Fennelly himself has said a million times that "playing in the best women's bb conference in America" is one of his biggest recruiting pitches, right behind our tremendous crowd support. He challenges recruits by asking if they want to play against the best. He put that question to players at the Elite Camp last week. He has put the question to Greenfield. Now it may have no meaning at all. Now Stanford can say "come play against the best." As if they need any more help.
We will lose all of our big rivalry games - OU, Texas, Nebraska. And you don't think that will hurt recruiting? Are you kidding?

While I agree, but how did UWGB give us a game? Or Utah knock us out of the NCAA's 10 years ago? It can be done, but BF will be forced to change his recruiting pitch.

Last edited:

ISU_REV

Apr 21, 2006
While I agree, but how did UWGB give us a game? Or Utah knock us out of the NCAA's 10 years ago? It can be done, but BF will be forced to change his recruiting pitch.

Wow...I did not remember this and it happened in 2005. I was all ready to correct you but thought I had better do some research.

Legend12

May 9, 2008
If ISU drops down to a non-BCS level conference what do you think happens to the budgets of the athletic department in general and women's basketball specifically?

What impact do you think the lower budgets may have on the program? On the staff..both on who is on staff and the number of staff they can afford.

A few examples:

ISU (Big 12) - Women's Operating Budget - $1,940,940 (lost $900,00)
Bowling Green (MAC) - Women's Operating Budget - $754,629 (lost $643,000)
San Diego State (MWC) - Women's Operating Budget - $1,277832 (lost $900,000)

Can ISU continue to spend $1,900,000 per year when the revenue generated is not as great as it has been?

Of course Fennelly turned down OSU and Wisconsin (among others)...but that was when ISU was on a level playing field...that is not going to be the case if they don't end up in a BCS conference. (And no, I am not implying that he will leave for another school.)

The change from a BCS conference to a non-BCS conference would have far reaching effects well beyond simply who the teams lace 'em up against.

For the record...this data is from 2004-2005, but it give you an idea of the differences.

Last edited:

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
Stanford is not nearly as appealing when they aren't winning the Pac-10 every year. Sudddenly when they are finishing third, or fourth, its not nearly as fun, as winning the conference every year by five or six games, and having a guaranteed trip to the final four every year because the selection committee makes sure you play close to home in the regionals. Hard to draw a number one seed when you don't win the conference every year.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA

And Xavier almost beat Stanford too. Yet, the programs operate in totally different worlds. Close games happen. That doesn't mean the programs are comparable in talent or budgets.
So let's compare Iowa State and UWGB. Their budget is less than half of ISU's - their coach said so. I'm sure there is not a single player on Green Bay's team that Fennelly recruited - we're on a different level. The best players want to play against the best, and that recruiting pitch may be gone.
The recruiting of Greenfield will be very telling. As I have said, up to now she has been a virtual lock for us...

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
And Xavier almost beat Stanford too. Yet, the programs operate in totally different worlds. Close games happen. That doesn't mean the programs are comparable in talent or budgets.
So let's compare Iowa State and UWGB. Their budget is less than half of ISU's - their coach said so. I'm sure there is not a single player on Green Bay's team that Fennelly recruited - we're on a different level. The best players want to play against the best, and that recruiting pitch may be gone.
The recruiting of Greenfield will be very telling. As I have said, up to now she has been a virtual lock for us...

I guess we will have to wait and see what happens to ISU and the conference stuff. I am very scared right now for WBB, Volleyball and Wrestling, though Wrestling is more of an independent thing these days.

Legend12

May 9, 2008

UWGB - Women's Operating Budget - $961,611 (lost $464,368)

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
If ISU drops down to a non-BCS level conference what do you think happens to the budgets of the athletic department in general and women's basketball specifically?

What impact do you think the lower budgets may have on the program? On the staff..both on who is on staff and the number of staff they can afford.

A few examples:

ISU (Big 12) - Women's Operating Budget - $1,940,940 (lost $900,00)
Bowling Green (MAC) - Women's Operating Budget - $754,629 (lost $643,000)
San Diego State (MWC) - Women's Operating Budget - $1,277832 (lost $900,000)

Can ISU continue to spend $1,900,000 per year when the revenue generated is not as great as it has been?

Of course Fennelly turned down OSU and Wisconsin (among others)...but that was when ISU was on a level playing field...that is not going to be the case if they don't end up in a BCS conference. (And no, I am not implying that he will leave for another school.)

The change from a BCS conference to a non-BCS conference would have far reaching effects well beyond simply who the teams lace 'em up against.

For the record...this data is from 2004-2005, but it give you an idea of the differences.

If you are going to pick a team from the Mt. West, SDSU is a poor comparison. Did you look at their ticket sales $13,000. To have a fair comparison, you have to look at New Mexico, they are a huge draw in the Mt. West 9th in overall attendance for 2010.
Revenue - $1,138,659
Expense - $1,336,073
Lost $197,414

NCAA Financial Reports Database | IndyStar.com

Help Support Us

Become a patron