Your draft pick, your stategy, and your final grade

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Arkansas Cyclone

Nov 25, 2006
Bentonville, Arkansas
We drafted this morning and I had the no. 4 pick

Strategy: take a top 5 RB (probably Ray Rice) and come back with an elite QB with the 2nd pick followed by a WR

Here's what happened: Got Ray Rice but second pick came down to Peyton Manning or Maurice Jones-Drew. Took MJD due to all the talk about Peyton Manning's neck surgery. Yeah, I know he'll be big but do you really pass on two elite RBs? The elite QBs are gone so I'm looking at mids.

Final Result: QB: Roethlisberger, Freeman, Cutlar (although I may drop Cutlar for Flaaco). RBs: Ray Rice, MJD, Jacobs, Sproles, Pierre Thomas.: WR: Hakeem Nicks, Danny Amendola (we're in a PPR and return league so don't laugh), Mario Manningham, and Jacoby Ford (think return yards again) TE: Dallas Clark

My final grade: C. definitely not ideal but definitely could be worse.

Rank your draft...

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
We did a snake draft and a PPR league.
I got Ray Rice at pick #8 and then got Rivers with my next pick. I was happy with that.

Then I got Desean Jackson and Antonio Gates (who I had last year, and I love). Gates missed 7 games last year and was still the #2 fantasy TE. Plus the Rivers to Gates connection will be awesome.

Then Cedric Benson and Felix Jones. Taking Gates basically cost me a slight downgrade on my last RB, but I think the production is worth it.

I got the Patriots D/ST, and I was really close to getting the Ravens who I wanted but they got taken from under me.

My final picks were Julio Jones, Santana Moss (I couldn't believe he was still available with all the targets he will get), LT, Robert Meachem, Lee Evans, Donovan McNabb, Demarco Murray, Bernard Berrian, and Sebastian Janikowski.

I'd give myself a B because of Rice, Rivers, and Gates, but nothing too special happened where I got a huge steal or anything.

Arkansas Cyclone

Nov 25, 2006
Bentonville, Arkansas
We did a snake draft and a PPR league.
I got Ray Rice at pick #8 and then got Rivers with my next pick. I was happy with that.

Then I got Desean Jackson and Antonio Gates (who I had last year, and I love). Gates missed 7 games last year and was still the #2 fantasy TE. Plus the Rivers to Gates connection will be awesome.

Then Cedric Benson and Felix Jones. Taking Gates basically cost me a slight downgrade on my last RB, but I think the production is worth it.

I got the Patriots D/ST, and I was really close to getting the Ravens who I wanted but they got taken from under me.

My final picks were Julio Jones, Santana Moss (I couldn't believe he was still available with all the targets he will get), LT, Robert Meachem, Lee Evans, Donovan McNabb, Demarco Murray, Bernard Berrian, and Sebastian Janikowski.

I'd give myself a B because of Rice, Rivers, and Gates, but nothing too special happened where I got a huge steal or anything.

I'd be pretty good with your picks. My original hopes were to get a decent RB and then, fingers crossed, get Brady with my second pick. Didn't happen. You and I think somewhat alike with you going Rivers/Gates. Me, I was thinking Manning/Clark as Clark seems to put up WR numbers. My second to last pick, I went with the Patriots for a D which I thought was a steal. I think you're B rating is legit. I may move mine to C+, possibly B-.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
I'd be pretty good with your picks. My original hopes were to get a decent RB and then, fingers crossed, get Brady with my second pick. Didn't happen. You and I think somewhat alike with you going Rivers/Gates. Me, I was thinking Manning/Clark as Clark seems to put up WR numbers. My second to last pick, I went with the Patriots for a D which I thought was a steal. I think you're B rating is legit. I may move mine to C+, possibly B-.

We didn't get anywhere near that for defenses that is a definite steal. I had to take them with my 7th pick, which was too early but I wanted to get a defense before they were all gone. I didn't really like the RBs available at that pick anyway which was my other option.

I usually steer clear of any Colt besides Manning just because he spreads it around so much. Clark is a good bet though you are right.

Your draft is fine I think except for you getting a bit unlucky with the QB situation. Why do you have 3 QBs? I usually just stockpile WRs and RBs.

Cyznutz

Jan 6, 2009
Illinois
In a PPR, I drafted at 10,so I took the best WR available and then on the snake took the best RB available. I took P. Rivers in round 3 knowing he wouldnt be there on the snake, but Bowe was still there in round 4, so i was happy. My first 5 picks look like this:
1. R. White -Atl
2. R. Mendenhall - Pitt
3. P. Rivers - SD
4. D.Bowe - KC
5. P. Garcon (sp?) - Ind

StormnClone58

Jan 24, 2008
West Des Moines
12 team ppr
qb - flacco
wr - wallace
wr - wayne
wr - collie
rb - rice
rb - chris johnson
te - witten
w/r - wells
k - cundiff
def -baltimore

overall id grade my draft as a B+ ... had the 7th pick and almost crapped myself when rice was sitting there with the 7th pick ... wanted a wr on the way back down but couldn't pass up the value on cj2k ... only thing holding me back from giving myself an A is my qb ... wanted shaub but he went 2 picks before me to someone who already had a qb (amatuers) ...

jrastrel

Apr 25, 2006
San Diego, CA
10 team ppr
QB - Ben Roethlisberger
RB - LeSean McCoy
RB - Matt Forte
WR - Andre Johnson
WR - Hakeem Nicks
TE - Jason Witten
RB/WR/TE - Miles Austin
Kicker - Jason Hanson
DST - Patriots
Bench: Wes Welker, Jay Cutler, Knowshon Moreno, Reggie Bush, Danny Amendola, Chris Cooley

I ended up having the 10th pick. I wanted to get a top end WR and a RB who gets a lot of receptions since it is a PPR League. There were 3 QBs in the first 4 picks and none of those were Aaron Rogers or Michael Vick so I knew it was going to be a crazy draft. I couldn't believe that McCoy dropped to 10 and no WR were taken in the first round of a ppr league.

I'd give myself an A-. I hurt myself a little bit by drafting Cooley because he has the same bye week as Witten and he's banged up. I'm hoping he'll go off at least one game before his bye week and I can try to package him in a trade. I also didn't really like drafting both Austin and Witten but I will use Welker a lot of weeks instead of Austin.

Funniest Pick - Brady Quinn in the 2nd round haha I think she meant to get Tom Brady

woodiemiller

Sep 6, 2011
12 team ppr
qb - flacco
wr - wallace
wr - wayne
wr - collie
rb - rice
rb - chris johnson
te - witten
w/r - wells
k - cundiff
def -baltimore

overall id grade my draft as a B+ ... had the 7th pick and almost crapped myself when rice was sitting there with the 7th pick ... wanted a wr on the way back down but couldn't pass up the value on cj2k ... only thing holding me back from giving myself an A is my qb ... wanted shaub but he went 2 picks before me to someone who already had a qb (amatuers) ...

Wayne & Collie? Who's going to throw to them, Kerry Collins?

StormnClone58

Jan 24, 2008
West Des Moines
Wayne & Collie? Who's going to throw to them, Kerry Collins?

this draft took place two weeks ago so i was assuming manning would be out for a week or two and id be set ... probably will still play wayne as he did his usual without manning but will replace collie with either jacoby ford or mike thomas ...

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
10 team 16 round snake draft with draft re-order every 2 rounds (re-order by drawing playing cards). I had the 10th pick in first, 5th in third, 7th in 5th, 6th in 7th, 5th in 9th, 8th in 11th, 4th in 13th, and 1st in 15th. It's a pass-heavy league with point distribution, except there aren't any points per reception.

Team:

QB: Flacco, Bradford, Fitzpatrick
RB: Ray Rice, DeAngelo Williams, Felix Jones, Pierre Thomas
WR: Calvin Johnson, DeSean Jackson, Steve Johnson, Mike Sims-Walker
TE: Dustin Keller, Aaron Hernandez
D/ST: Chargers, 49ers
K: Janikowski

I'd say I'd grade it a B.