Yanny or Laurel?

Do you hear Yanny or Laurel?

• Total voters

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Literally hearing something different almost every time I play it now. Also played it for my parents and didn't tell them what word they should be listening for. Mom immediately heard Laurel and my dad said "I hear yarry" so somehow he's hearing a combination of the two

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Yanny sounds like a high-pitched whisper when Laurel is being said, and Laurel sounds like a demon from the grave when Yanny is being said. Things you realize when high.

My brain must be programmed to ignore high-pitched voices because I heard the high-pitched Yanny and then transitioned to the low-pitched one Laurel.

This is informative. I must inform women that they should speak to me in a low voice.

• Funny
Reactions: Tailg8er

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
I'm going to smoke a couple bowls and see how it sounds. For science. Also, what's this about a dress?

What color is this dress:

220px-The_Dress_%28viral_phenomenon%29.png

*Hint- if you don't say blue & black, you're wrong.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
If there are other forms of intelligent life out there things like this must have them laughing their ***** off.

k123

Sep 14, 2011
Iowa
The shelf life of this viral excitement is expiring, but this tool is helpful to hear both with adjustments if you remain incredulous that there are two options:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/05/16/upshot/audio-clip-yanny-laurel-debate.html

I first heard yanny, I assume because I had a headphone in one ear, etc so did not get full 'frequency'...since the apparently this was recorded on a phone from computer speakers from and then compressed through instragram and then reddit and twitter - or as they say on the internet, recorded with a potato.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
It will depend on how the sound is filtered - if the higher frequency noises are eliminated, you will hear "Laurel". If the lower frequency noises are eliminated, you will hear "Yanny".

BTW, I was out after 10,000HZ.
I couldn't hear past 6000Hz. I can only hear laurel.

My wife had me get my hearing checked at a doc appointment a few years back. I heard one sound. When the doc came back in and asked the nurse how I did, she said,"Yeah, he's deaf." I said, "Hey, I heard that!"

Last edited:

urb1

Jan 23, 2010
Urbandale
Both my wife and I have heard Laurel and Yanny. I heard them both from my phone and computer. I was able to hear up to 11,000 HZ,BTW.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Our family went out to dinner last night. In the car, we played it. I heard Laurel and they all heard something that sounds like Yarie but they said it sounded more like Yanny. We tried it at the restaurant and everybody heard Laurel.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron