XFL

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
I’ve watched Walking Tall like 3 times in the past few months so I like to think I contributed to The Rock being able to buy the XFL.

Reactions: dawgpound

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Dwayne Johnson for America 2028!

If he can make spring football work where everyone else has failed I might vote for him. <jimlad, kind of>

Reactions: Cycho1

BigTurk

Dec 17, 2013
I never understood why these start-up leagues insist on spreading their teams across the country. The Arena league did that and look what happened? The same with when the CFL expanded in the '90s, the AAF, and then the XFL. The travel expenses has to astronomical. If the teams are relatively close to each other the travel expenses would be less, so I understand wanting teams in under served cities it doesn't make sense to have them located all over the country. The league should focus on one geographical area, say SEC country, to keep travel expenses down.

dawgpound

Retired Billy the Barnstormer
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2011
Des Moines, iowa
I never understood why these start-up leagues insist on spreading their teams across the country. The Arena league did that and look what happened? The same with when the CFL expanded in the '90s, the AAF, and then the XFL. The travel expenses has to astronomical. If the teams are relatively close to each other the travel expenses would be less, so I understand wanting teams in under served cities it doesn't make sense to have them located all over the country. The league should focus on one geographical area, say SEC country, to keep travel expenses down.

I would argue is the obsession with being in a well established NFL city that hurts these ventures. They keep trying to make New York or LA work for these, when cities like St Louis in the XFL, and San Antonio in the AAF did awesome and were well attended. But the key is making the TV product viable or getting the NFL to foot the bill and make it a true developmental league.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
They do it because you have no chance getting fans to have "their" team by limited yourself to a regional area. They need mass appear and full stadiums to survive. You need metropolitan areas for that. They need national viewing for ratings and selling advertising.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I liked how Baltimore decided to roll with the "Colts" name.

CFL ball should be fun, but it just isn't quite football. Like arena ball....

Football-ish

I am sad we never got to see the Miami Manatees take the field.

miami-manatees-e1506444636151.png

Not a bad uniform -- kind of has a Wyoming Cowboys feel about it.

Reactions: dawgpound

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Weird color scheme for South Beach, though. That's a midwest or rust belt look if I've ever seen one.

New Orleans wears it very well down south -- then again, their black is for the Louisiana oil industry and their gold has a royal feel about it, so it works for them.

BigTurk

Dec 17, 2013
I would argue is the obsession with being in a well established NFL city that hurts these ventures. They keep trying to make New York or LA work for these, when cities like St Louis in the XFL, and San Antonio in the AAF did awesome and were well attended. But the key is making the TV product viable or getting the NFL to foot the bill and make it a true developmental league.

Ok, I understand what you are saying, but the NFL doesn't need a development league. It has NCAA football for that. Now, having said that, if there is room for an alternative league why not something with college aged kids? There has to be enough kids that can play but cannot make it at college, or shouldn't be in college, or some such. It doesn't have to be a big league, but maybe an eight team league? One thing I hate about the XFL (or AAF) is I don't want to watch Trent Richardson or some other NFL washout play anymore.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Ok, I understand what you are saying, but the NFL doesn't need a development league. It has NCAA football for that. Now, having said that, if there is room for an alternative league why not something with college aged kids? There has to be enough kids that can play but cannot make it at college, or shouldn't be in college, or some such. It doesn't have to be a big league, but maybe an eight team league? One thing I hate about the XFL (or AAF) is I don't want to watch Trent Richardson or some other NFL washout play anymore.

I do think this was part of the plan for the XFL from things I had read earlier on. Of course they were never able to hold an actual post season draft with how things worked out.

I still like the idea and think it can work, giving players one year deals and allowing them to prove themselves for the NFL without being a direct feeder league is a good idea. There are a lot of players who do not have the NFL measurables to get drafted who can make plays in a league like that. And if the money were close, a player might be better off, in terms of showcasing themselves for NFL GM's, by playing in the XFL than getting stuck on a non-roster NFL practice team.

Last edited:

dawgpound

Retired Billy the Barnstormer
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2011
Des Moines, iowa

Absolutely the NCAA fills that role and the NFL doesn't have to pay a dime. What i was saying is the XFL (or any other league) really needs the NFL to foot the bill or have a great TV deal. Honestly the XFL was on the right track where they didn't have a ton of NFL washouts (which the AAF did as you pointed out). A lot of the success stories in this short XFL season actually signed onto NFL teams. You get real tape, and hopefully won't be stuck on a practice squad for eternity.

CyclonesRock

Jan 1, 2018
Iowa
XFL now being in partnership with the NFL is actually kind of a big deal.

I actually was really enjoying the XFL in 2020 before COVID came along and ruined everything. Not the NFL but it doesn't need to be. I would love to see some former ISU players get a shot to continue playing the game at a "next" level if they desire. The NFL is a really tough league to crack for all but the elite.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Bring back the end zone to 50 yard line dash to the ball to start the game.

They literally scrapped that after week 1 after someone got seriously hurt doing that. That is never coming back in any form of football, especially in an era where the focus is on player safety - nor should it. And I don't know why people keep saying it should. Yeah, it was a fun concept - until, like I said, someone got seriously hurt on a novel idea.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
XFL now being in partnership with the NFL is actually kind of a big deal.

Yep. The NFL picked the spring football winner. Not sure how the USFL makes it long term now.

ricochet

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2008
They literally scrapped that after week 1 after someone got seriously hurt doing that. That is never coming back in any form of football, especially in an era where the focus is on player safety - nor should it. And I don't know why people keep saying it should. Yeah, it was a fun concept - until, like I said, someone got seriously hurt on a novel idea.
Somebody did get a separated shoulder the first week but I can’t find anything that says they scrapped it after the first week. Are you sure they got rid of it? I agree the whole idea is best left on the scrap heap of history.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Somebody did get a separated shoulder the first week but I can’t find anything that says they scrapped it after the first week. Are you sure they got rid of it? I agree the whole idea is best left on the scrap heap of history.

I could have sworn they got rid of it, but I guess the truth of that will be forever lost to the internet. It was 20+ years ago now, after all.

Help Support Us

Become a patron