XBox Question

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
Looking at getting an Xbox for the kids for Christmas. I’m completely illiterate on anything gaming. I see there is a new Xbox One X for 499. Or there is an Xbox One S that is 189 on Cyber Monday. I’m aware that the X is the latest and greatest and the S is now the “newest old” version. Mai. Question is will the S still run new games going forward. Mainly will be Madden, NBA, kids games, etc.

Is the X really needed or will we be fine with the S?

TIA

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Looking at getting an Xbox for the kids for Christmas. I’m completely illiterate on anything gaming. I see there is a new Xbox One X for 499. Or there is an Xbox One S that is 189 on Cyber Monday. I’m aware that the X is the latest and greatest and the S is now the “newest old” version. Mai. Question is will the S still run new games going forward. Mainly will be Madden, NBA, kids games, etc.

TIA
Yes, the Xs biggest difference "game wise" is it has the capability to run games in 4K. The S will still have all of the same games going forward but just not as "high quality" even though they are still very well done.

• Agree
Reactions: ISC

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
Yes, the Xs biggest difference "game wise" is it has the capability to run games in 4K. The S will still have all of the same games going forward but just not as "high quality" even though they are still very well done.

So basically things that an 11, 8, and 5 year old wouldn’t notice? They’ve been happy with the free games on Apple TV so far.

Thanks for the info. Was leaning towards the S and think I will go that route.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames

TIA
The One S is still a great machine even with the release of the One X and $189 is a hell of a deal so I'd go with that. For the foreseeable future anyways they'll both run all the same games.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
So basically things that an 11, 8, and 5 year old wouldn’t notice? They’ve been happy with the free games on Apple TV so far.

Thanks for the info. Was leaning towards the S and think I will go that route.
Yeah, no need to go all out for the X if you have kids just looking to have some fun playing video games. Also the S has just as many/if not all of the same online features, apps, services, so it can be used for more than just gaming for your kids :)

ImperialCyclone

Sep 11, 2012
As others have stated, the Xbox S will play the same games as the Xbox X. However, the Xbox X will play games in 4k and render graphics better on regular HD tv sets. Basically, the X will run games smoother. You are limited by the TV you have as well. If you have a 4k ultra HD TV, then you will see a big difference. However, I really don't think the Xbox X is worth the price tag for you and your family. Target has the best deal right now on an XBOX S for 189 plus 15% off if you order online today (plus an extra 5% if you have a target card). There is also a bundle for 189 that includes battlefield (which is a game probably not suited for kids).

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
I would buy the S if I were buying it for my kids. My kids (5 & 3 year) love playing the Lego games on my original Xbox One.

The Xbox One S also supports 4K on certain games and also 4K blu-ray playback - the Xbox One X does it more efficiently.

Playboi Carti

May 7, 2017

TIA
Get the S. I got the xbox one when it first came out in 2013 and it still works fine. No need to pay $500.
Also $189 is a steal for an Xbox one

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
Thanks for the info everyone. I had 20 bucks worth of points to use at Best Buy so I just got the S for essentially 169. Not bad for a gift to all 3 kids.

We know we are getting our 11 year old Madden and NBA2K and another controller for Christmas. Does anyone have any recommendations for games for 11, 8, and 5. Plant vs Zombies has already been brought up by one of them but I have no clue what’s out there.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
The real question is why aren't you buying them a playstation? ;)
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006
We know we are getting our 11 year old Madden and NBA2K and another controller for Christmas. Does anyone have any recommendations for games for 11, 8, and 5. Plant vs Zombies has already been brought up by one of them but I have no clue what’s out there.

My 7 year old loves Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare 2. He is also getting into Minecraft

sunset

Oct 18, 2006
San Diego, CA
My 9yo likes Plants v Zombies and Minecraft. He'll play Injustice (DC superhero fighting game that isn't too over the top).

theantiAIRBHG

May 25, 2011
Hiawatha, IA
Thanks for the info everyone. I had 20 bucks worth of points to use at Best Buy so I just got the S for essentially 169. Not bad for a gift to all 3 kids.

Get them the new South Park game. It will prolly be fine.

Dante

Dec 23, 2015

I would sign up for EA access instead of buying games. Maybe just invest in an external HD for additional storage is needed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EA_Access

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
What could go wrong with giving kids The Fractured But Whole!

My kids love the Lego games. They ask to play Lego Marvel Avengers and just run around New York smashing into things as The Hulk. Lego Marvel Superheroes 2 just came out a few weeks ago. They also like Lego Star Wars (the Xbox 360 game that is backwards compatible on Xbox One).

It's kind of hard to find age appropriate games for the younger kids. I let my 5 year old play Batman: Arkham Knigh tand she did a decent job of beating up thugs in the street and flying around Gotham - but anything more than that and she would get super frustrated.

Maybe look at Rare Replay, which is a collection of 30 games made by developer Rare. You get classic games like Banjo Kazooie, Battletoads and Viva Pinata - but beware you also get games like Killer Instinct, Perfect Dark, Conker's Bad Fur Day which wouldn't be appropriate for your youngest.