Xavier foster vs norwalk.

BurgundyClone

Apr 15, 2007
East of Omaha
And worrying about who he defends is a little silly after watching us try to defend pick and rolls and never closing out correctly on 3s all year. Give me a 5’5 guy that at least sstops short of the shooter and gives us at least one inside position on the rebound. Mike Jacobson is on the other side of half court or out of bounds on every 3 pointer he “defends” leaving us 4 on 5 every time and its never been corrected. Sigh...

Kurttr

Mar 19, 2006
The insanity that this season is breeding is just that - crazy. Some of you need to take a step away from the laptop and go outside for a while. You're actually arguing that we should have offered a schollie to a sub-6' shooter who has no other Power 6 offers. Can you imagine your response if Fran had done that?? We have a top-25 recruiting class coming in, so you're proposing replacing one of them with Born...

Our team has much to improve for next year, and Prohm will be on the hot seat, but I don't think he'll get it turned around by taking these suggestions...

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
So CyTwins, which player on last years team would Bolton have taken minutes from, in your expert opinion. Take a break, how about you answer my question.

You're on record saying Bolton is "horrible". I'm not arguing with you about him. I just don't know how someone could think Wigginton was very good but then think Bolton is horrible when they're basically the same player lol

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
You're on record saying Bolton is "horrible". I'm not arguing with you about him. I just don't know how someone could think Wigginton was very good but then think Bolton is horrible when they're basically the same player lol

In some ways I almost give Bolton the nod...he seems to do more with less and I don't recall him spilling into the lane in a pile too often.

LW, it's unfortunate we never saw him fully come to form.

• Agree
Reactions: CyTwins

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Hell, I never realized Bolton was that good of a player, 15th in the league in offensive efficiency. Which starter from last years team would have had to sit if he had been here? If not a starter, would he have beaten out Wiggington as the 6th player, and first off the bench?

We need points, this year, put him on last years team, and he is at best the 8th or 9th players to hit the floor. That would be with his production this year.

Bolton is a decent player, high volume shooter, but unless he can learn to finish at the rim, and play more of a team concept, we will struggle if we have to rely on him.

He's not just the 15th most efficient player on offense -- PRPG! is an attempt, as flawed as such things can be, to make a comprehensive "points above replacement" metric similar to WAR in baseball only for college basketball. That includes production on the defensive end, such as rebounding or blocked shots, not just scoring.

Bolton is roughly the 15th best player in the conference not just on offense. If we were to take Born and redshirt him, he would be quite the developmental success story if he becomes as good as Bolton is now by the time he was a fifth-year senior.

In some ways I almost give Bolton the nod...he seems to do more with less and I don't recall him spilling into the lane in a pile too often.

LW, it's unfortunate we never saw him fully come to form.

I would argue that Wigginton had some higher highs but also some lower lows. Wigginton went off a few times, but there were games he basically lost on his own, too, bricking shots and trying to force drives that were not really there.

Bolton is not quite as good of a shooter (though he has been much better in 2020 than in 2019) and is probably a better finisher/better at drawing fouls. Either way, these are relatively small differences. Their physical profile, style, play, efficiencies, and advance stats are all very similar to each other. Bolton replaced Wigginton in as close to a 1-to-1 fashion as you basically can at this level. Things might be pretty ugly (e.g., 0-10) without him.

What we did not replace was Horton-Tucker.

Last edited:

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
He's not just the 15th most efficient player on offense -- PRPG! is an attempt, as flawed as such things can be, to make a comprehensive "points above replacement" metric similar to WAR in baseball only for college basketball. That includes production on the defensive end, such as rebounding or blocked shots, not just scoring.

Bolton is roughly the 15th best player in the conference not just on offense. If we were to take Born and redshirt him, he would be quite the developmental success story if he becomes as good as Bolton is now by the time he was a fifth-year senior.

I would argue that Wigginton had some higher highs but also some lower lows. Wigginton went off a few times, but there were games he basically lost on his own, too, bricking shots and trying to force drives that were not really there.

Bolton is not quite as good of a shooter (though he has been much better in 2020 than in 2019) and is probably a better finisher/better at drawing fouls. Either way, these are relatively small differences. Their physical profile, style play, efficiencies, and advance stats are all very similar to each other. Bolton replaced Wigginton in as close to a 1-to-1 fashion as you basically can at this level. Things might be pretty ugly (e.g., 0-10) without him.

I don't even want to think about this team if Bolton didn't get his waiver

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Bolton is roughly the 15th best player in the conference not just on offense.

Bolton is not quite as good of a shooter (though he has been much better in 2020 than in 2019) and is probably a better finisher/better at drawing fouls. Either way, these are relatively small differences. Their physical profile, style play, efficiencies, and advance stats are all very similar to each other. Bolton replaced Wigginton in as close to a 1-to-1 fashion as you basically can at this level. Things might be pretty ugly (e.g., 0-10) without him.

Agreed--LW's explosiveness was pretty great, and him on a little jumper or floater were beautiful along with his ability to adjust mid-air for a clean shot. That just wasn't maximized enough for whatever reason.

Rehashing but there's really some big 'what ifs?' with just some more consistency and some guys having their **** together.

• Useful
Reactions: WesRuby

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018

You are the one that is in Bolton's corner, so I ask again, which starter on last years team would he replace?
Wigginton is at least bouncing around the NBA, do you see Bolton doing it?

• Funny
Reactions: CyPunch and CyTwins

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
You are the one that is in Bolton's corner, so I ask again, which starter on last years team would he replace?
Wigginton is at least bouncing around the NBA, do you see Bolton doing it?

Has Wigginton even dressed in the NBA?

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006

Bolton is not quite as good of a shooter (though he has been much better in 2020 than in 2019) and is probably a better finisher/better at drawing fouls. Either way, these are relatively small differences. Their physical profile, style, play, efficiencies, and advance stats are all very similar to each other. Bolton replaced Wigginton in as close to a 1-to-1 fashion as you basically can at this level. Things might be pretty ugly (e.g., 0-10) without him.

What we needed more than THT to replace was someone who could score consistently when we needed a basket: Marial Shayok.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
So do I get an answer to my question CyTwins or just a smiley face. Which starter from last years team would Bolton beat out for playing time, or which bench player that saw plenty of game time last year?

Its really a simple question, but you refuse to answer it.

Its none.

As to Born, I think he might have helped down the road, we lost 2 recruits this year before the season had even started. It sure would have been nice to have a player like Born on the bench this year, taking one of those scholarships.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Custer was a 4 star recruit. Born is a 2 star and I didn't even know 2 star recruits were still a thing
And Clayton was receiving offers from other Division 1 schools when he announced he was leaving Iowa State. He went to Loyola-Chicago because his best friend was on the team and he loved the fit there. I also think people are putting too much stock into his Final 4 run. Clayton was no doubt a big part of that team but the team as a whole was very very good. Credit to Clayton for making a couple of big shots in the tournament but let's not act like he was an unbelievable player. He averaged 12 points in his entire career at Loyola. He was a solid MVC player who made a couple of big shots in his career.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron