Work Boots

do4CY

Aug 30, 2020
I have a pair of columbia newton ridge plus II. Have had them over a year, they are falling apart but are still working. They are around $80 1605969672076.png

Beernuts

Nov 9, 2017
Another vote for Redwings 953's from Weaver's. I preferred the 6" boot vs. the taller boot. Easier to get on and off....but I think they dis continued that model?

By the way Weaver's is by far the best shoe store in all of Iowa. Great family and I love how they write the receipt on the top of the box. Four generations of my family have purchased shoes at Weaver's, to the point Tim knows our shoe sizes. It is worth the trip to Buffalo Center to buy your shoe's there.

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
I wear Redwing 2408s daily. Been my boot of choice for 10+ years now. I'm a field engineer in heavy civil / marine construction so I'm a mix of office / field work. Some days it's all office, some days it's 12hrs straight outside in all sorts of conditions (not a ton of winter, but I did wear them through 4 NYC area winters). Technically this is my third pair (I've had them resoled once or twice as well). I typically wear through the soles completely. Never had an issue with the uppers.

I typically don't wear waterproof boots. If it's going to be that wet, I switch to muck/rubber boots. Just my preference. I think waterproof boots make your feet hot and sweat more. I wouldn't go stand in 6" of water for hours, but if I'm just stomping around a muddy jobsite with puddles they are just fine.

The Red Wing uppers do take time to break in. I've been in my current pair in more of an office setting for about 2 months now and I think they are just starting to feel broken in.

On the flip side, I had a good friend/coworker who swore by his $60 walmart steel toes and just bought a new pair every 9-12 months (sometimes as little as 6) when they inevitably fell apart at inopportune times

Last edited:

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Red wing 2239s. Softer leather so you don’t need to break them in much at all, a decent grip on the bottom the boot, water proof, and a fiberglass toe for lightweight. Bought from weavers.

Reactions: NWICY

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
I’m pretty brand loyal to red wing. I have to wear metatarsal style boots at work and the pair I have now is 5 years old. I have a pair of plain steel toes that I used to wear everyday but now just occasionally that are probably 15 years old. I don’t do anything special to take care of them but oil them twice a year and if they get muddy I clean them when I get home for the evening.

farm85

Mar 23, 2016
Flekkefjord, Norway
I love my keen steel toes. Not necessarily boots, but they're super comfortable in the office and the shop. Typically last about 2 years as a daily wear for me.

I agree with the durability of Keen shoes. You can buy replacement insoles. They are a bit pricey but very comfortable. Many styles (also boots) to choose from: https://www.keenfootwear.com/steel-toe/

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
Add another vote for Red Wing 953’s. Won’t wear any other boot.

Edit.
Forgot to add the great thing about them is you can re-sole them. I generally get 3-5 years out of a pair with a resole in the middle. The full grain leather forms to your feet and are insanely comfortable after broke in.

I also own two of their heritage boots for business casual meetings, every day use, etc. When it comes to boots my opinion is the simpler the design the better.

Last edited:
Reactions: mramseyISU

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
I love my keen steel toes. Not necessarily boots, but they're super comfortable in the office and the shop. Typically last about 2 years as a daily wear for me.

I like Keen as well. I need a safety toe shoe that breaths otherwise my feet sweat so bad in full leather boots.

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
these were my last work boot from Danners. loved them for the comfort and fit. only reason I stopped wearing them is the tread wore down enough they became hard to climb with. co-worker has the Quarry and likes them if the stitching went bad within the year on them they should have been warrantied.
I have a pair of Thorogood GenFlex series 6 boots now that are less then a year old and I can not wait till my boot reimbursement is back for work for the year to replace them. they felt great in the store but they have broken down fast. I only put them on when we go out to the tower anymore and just wear my Nike boots in and around the shop. will go back to Danner's if I can find the ones I want (Trackwelts) around here or will give Timberland Pros a try.
Annotation (3).png

Reactions: Scott34

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
these were my last work boot from Danners. loved them for the comfort and fit. only reason I stopped wearing them is the tread wore down enough they became hard to climb with. co-worker has the Quarry and likes them if the stitching went bad within the year on them they should have been warrantied.
I have a pair of Thorogood GenFlex series 6 boots now that are less then a year old and I can not wait till my boot reimbursement is back for work for the year to replace them. they felt great in the store but they have broken down fast. I only put them on when we go out to the tower anymore and just wear my Nike boots in and around the shop. will go back to Danner's if I can find the ones I want (Trackwelts) around here or will give Timberland Pros a try.
View attachment 78157

Thats the one bad thing I have read reviews onThorogoods is they don't last long. Now that I have heard someone with first had experience, I will probably stay away from Thorogoods. The current boot that I decided to try is Durango. They seem to be pretty decent but haven't had em super long.

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
Thats the one bad thing I have read reviews onThorogoods is they don't last long. Now that I have heard someone with first had experience, I will probably stay away from Thorogoods. The current boot that I decided to try is Durango. They seem to be pretty decent but haven't had em super long.
the exterior of the boot has held up pretty well. but the interior padding is shot around the ankle and heel. might try some new insoles in them for now. if it wasn't for the fact they feel like they are 10 lbs a piece I would be using the still mostly new Danner steel toes I have left over from the marines for now. the other thing I will try is a carbon toe boot if I can find one.

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
I quit buying high quality footwear a few years ago. I have wide feet and weigh about 240. I think those things together just wear out whatever shoes/boots I get quickly. I now buy cheap and replace.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
I've worked at John Deere for 16 years now and have flown through boots. A few years ago I moved into a salary job and these are pretty good for metatarsal boots.
I hated my Redwings. A lit of others at Deerr like cowboy style safety boots, but not for me.
Rockport

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I'm a big fan of Doc Martens 1 size larger than my foot size with a Dr. Scholl's custom insert inside of it, but that's just me.

Covenant Clone

Aug 30, 2006
Clive
Keen Cincinnati...best boots I’ve ever owned. Took me a minute to get used to a 6” boot (usually wear 8”) but they are really comfortable. Have read good things about longevity but time will tell (had them for about 2 months). Wedge boots changed my life...so much more comfortable than normal arched sole boots.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron