Woodworkers Thread

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
What kind of wood glue do people recommend? I hardly use it and probably should more. I am not patient enough most times to screw with it but probably should be.

I glue almost everything I’m putting together. It makes a strong joint that much stronger. It really depends on what you’re making. Most of the time I just use the traditional red tite bond.

That being said there are waterproof glues and such that need to be used for certain applications.

These are the PVA type glues used in most applications. Basically blue for outdoors or anything that can get wet and red for indoors. There are some epoxys and such out there but I’ve never screwed with them.

wood-glue-01.png

Reactions: JM4CY

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
A pretty simple way to switch it up is to make an end grain cutting board. Just cut into strips on the table saw, rotate them 90 degrees and find a pattern you like. Then just glue and clamp. They don’t dull knives as easy and they hold up way better to regular use.

You’ll end up with something like this.

birch-end-grain__04904.1545322494.png

True but I think you missed the part about me being a carpenter and not a woodworker. ;)

My table saw is also on the weak and cheap side, old Craftsman 137 10" with a pretty small sized top deck. Okay for ripping soft woods but **** for hardwood of any size. For real work cutting 2" and 1-1/2" hardwood I'd really need a saw with a big surface top like a cabinet saw.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
True but I think you missed the part about me being a carpenter and not a woodworker. ;)

My table saw is also on the weak and cheap side, old Craftsman 137 10" with a pretty small sized top deck. Okay for ripping soft woods but **** for hardwood of any size. For real work cutting 2" and 1-1/2" hardwood I'd really need a saw with a big surface top like a cabinet saw.

Gotcha. Was just throwing it out there as a suggestion because if you had the table saw to do it, it’s really only a bottle of glue and a couple clamps on top of the tools you already named. Scratch that idea.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Gotcha. Was just throwing it out there as a suggestion because if you had the table saw to do it, it’s really only a bottle of glue and a couple clamps on top of the tools you already named. Scratch that idea.

It IS something I've thought about. Might even try it in August. I have contractors coming to do a bath remodel and I need to be out of the house (social distancing etc) so could setup in the driveway and try this. Would know it it's going to work after a couple of cuts. Think you'd also need a large passthrough planer which I do have.

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines
The other comment with the 2X lumber is when you get it home take it to wherever you'll be doing the work and stack it with thin strips between the layers on the stack (called stickering) and leave it for at least 2 weeks. You'd be shocked by how much it'll move as it acclimates to the humidity level in your house/shop.
Edit: You should do this with any wood not just 2X material, and when you get setup with a jointer/planer it's always a good idea to plane it down to close to your final thickness and sticker your boards for a couple days before planing to final thickness because stuff will move on you no matter how dry you think it is.

Wish I had read this a month ago lol. I had some scrap decking material and really needed a table for my Ooni pizza oven on the deck. I bought some new lumber and let it sit for a few days but it was just so bloody humid I think it probably picked up more moisture. Built this beautiful table with cuts that matched up perfectly! Then it dried lol. Still looks good, but not as "perfect" as I know it once was.

On a positive note the fiance had no idea that I liked building that type of stuff or was even capable. She completely supports me buying more tools if I build her things!

Reactions: Cytasticlone

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
It IS something I've thought about. Might even try it in August. I have contractors coming to do a bath remodel and I need to be out of the house (social distancing etc) so could setup in the driveway and try this. Would know it it's going to work after a couple of cuts. Think you'd also need a large passthrough planer which I do have.

You should read a little more into putting an end grain cutting board through a planer before you do it. I’ve always heard that it’s a no go and it should be flattened some other way, either through sanding or a router with a flattening bit. There’s a lot that can go wrong with a planer.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
You should read a little more into putting an end grain cutting board through a planer before you do it. I’ve always heard that it’s a no go and it should be flattened some other way, either through sanding or a router with a flattening bit. There’s a lot that can go wrong with a planer.

True. The planer is hard enough to manage going with grain.

Reactions: wintersmd

wintersmd

Jul 2, 2014
Here is a glider swing I just completed for the back deck. Make out of Hickory. Wife wanted it stained, but I think it would look better with a clear finish. Guess if doesn't matter, Happy Wife Happy Life.

tLIOxwiPif1PPYEzrdNVH2CuEdf_Rscna_KYp3RTdaxL13xCfy9s3mNf08-y03u1M9G6RVJzGwz7bxXw807XfNeNF5WhKlI75juEQYjFGGhh_X7Dq8kznUEbN2eoCwxdocmCmVXe9_eMUICeOgQ2QroNUTdqmRAsl0ABdaKzD98uIB68CDG8-9GY4I2Z2zx7icdBNV4pD4peFn68JZZd4VL33CAaY0dWUAIHNe9NAMEql9m45uoYWmbeHpxf7NHK0gkdJG16qYqus461vADoATAzpT_53_B2K-9dsEgjPClBMmmOYvCP6lG3x1Ka6Bx7Xwfhn8eEaVGFtYvGdJQfRe9KQvTVO1Wo1sts0t-YD3iTkxMiecOFDZG2ny8Zkcts9935zJ1celnE7wZt5ZBeljbIeqS7AbI8iCEgHNRwExIugigjTU7uA1UOVNK3cqFstQ5g0k-SbnIkEb88tBpZe0bsa6hHA1WUODs2S7dcz_7wXy8F5mrmYK6EUwH393-FsftSxaVKPvbdH7eMg3bsFK_1C3ezaFhnHbbl87wtfv8qhZNNViC31op98_tmAehclsMMg9bIUekoCerN-jkeAQuIY5XJGA8FFmIRjK3UmFLS3yIYMmXxqZWQxkvaoe7EULrm3jBGtWhoMijUz_bUfb8cVhbriA_h5SNQc2YM1UWgCYWRwHJwpp46XMPmSA=w856-h625-no

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Pileated Woodpecker! I see these and hear them from my home. Nearly as big as a small crow they are pretty cool. Resembling an Ivory-billed Woodpecker they are on different branches of the woodpecker limb of birds.
Skimming past I thought it said Woodpecker Thread

NewClutteredComet-size_restricted.gif

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Made a 11x14 frame for a relative. Scrap wood and got the glass from ace for 12 bucks. 65A14BFE-4628-487E-B864-8715FC641747.jpeg

didn’t have plans I followed just kinda went for it. Turned out better than I thought. Thanks to those earlier in the thread on the tips for woodglue. Life changer right there for smaller joints

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN

This makes me think of a question for the group here...anyone here own a SawStop? I'm a moderately serious woodworker looking to get much more serious. We just bought an 1899 home that I plan to make lots of furniture and built-ins for. I'm looking at the SawStop saws, specifically the Pro version with accessories. It has a hefty price tag ($3k +/-) so I want to make sure I'm getting what I need (and also not going overboard).

Anyone own them and have experience to share?

CyJeans

Apr 18, 2017
Beaverdale, IA
This makes me think of a question for the group here...anyone here own a SawStop? I'm a moderately serious woodworker looking to get much more serious. We just bought an 1899 home that I plan to make lots of furniture and built-ins for. I'm looking at the SawStop saws, specifically the Pro version with accessories. It has a hefty price tag ($3k +/-) so I want to make sure I'm getting what I need (and also not going overboard).

I am also looking at upgrading to a saw stop. Everything I have read though is that it is not just about the safety, it is a high quality saw as well.

Reactions: throwittoblythe

CycloneBob

Aug 9, 2010
Ames
I purchased a 3 HP cabinet Sawstop a few years ago. After nicking my left thumb on the saw i had at the time (first saw accident in like 50 yrs.), I sprung for it quickly. Although I bought it with the safety issue in mind, it is a very, very well built saw. I'm not thrilled with the dust collection but other aspects are very good. Yes, not cheap, but well worth it as a long term investment. I'd recommend it and buy it again.

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA

For what it's work where I used to work had an accident with an older Powermatic saw. They had a bunch of them because at one time they were owned by the same parent company in the 70's and 80's. After that accident they sold all of them and replaced them with Sawstop saws because that one accident cost the company more than buying 6 of those Sawstop saws.

I plan on buying one for myself eventually when I upgrade my table saw. I've had a Ridgid one for about 10 years now and it's on ok saw but the fence isn't great. When you look at those higher end cabinet saws like powermatic, sawstop, delta or whatever they're all pretty comparable in the build quality and accuracy of the fence. For me I'm good with spending an extra $300 for those safety features in the Sawstop.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014

No experience with the saw but they’ve pretty much become the standard for cabinet saws. If you want to feel them out, they have a range of models on the floor at the Woodsmith Store. They also have a bunch of the optional attachments displayed on them as well like the outfeed table, dust collection, roller stand, etc.

They have a contractor saw on the floor but by the time you upgrade the fence and stuff you’re at the price of the cabinet saw.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I've gotten away from using my table saw as much and use a track saw a lot now for ripping.