Will the BIG10 Reverse Their Decision?

kcbob79clone

While visiting with a neighborhood dog-walker this morning, he mentioned he was moving a son to college today (don't know where the kid is going, walker was wearing a Nebraska shirt). I asked if he would be OK? Walker scoffed and said his other son had already gotten covid through work and only lost taste and smell for a few days - that half of people college age don't know they have it. So positive test numbers among general college population may explode, but probably have no effect on behavior overall. Seems like main problem teams will have is absences when a player tests positive - especially if the heart link is not pervasive.

Does anybody know if antibodies present will count as a case or just those that have it at the time of the test?

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I think most 18-22 year olds have already been exposed through normal brazen activities this summer and the spike might not be what people think it will be when they get to campus, but we'll see...

I think this is true across the board. I’ve been pretty consistent on not having a widely available and fast antibody test is the worst part about this entire response to the virus.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
The Big 10 will continue to call on the Athletic and SI to provide as much negative publicity to the other conferences as possible between now and mid-September. If the other Power 5 conferences proceed and actually complete the season successfully then the PAC-12 is completed ruined and a distant 5th in the Power 5. The Big 10 will survive but they will take a major hit on the recruiting trail and a fight from within the conference will continue to fester.

The Big 10 doesn't even have to call on those publications. The bias is already baked in. If the other three conferences get through the season, we're not going to see articles like "How the Big 12 Got It Right". It will be "This Season Wasn't The Same Without Big 10".

You can already hear it on the college football podcasts. They can't wait to say "I told you so". The media has clamored for leadership, safety protocols, plans, and transparency. Then we barely hear a peep when the Big 12 presented their testing protocol plan, including how they were approaching the heart condition and an acknowledgment that they're willing to change course if needed.

Now the media has shifted to the narrative that the Big 12 is rushing into an inevitable disaster. Do they want plans and rationale for what constitutes safe play, or are they tired of the Big 10 being the clown (for one whole week)?

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
They may have cherry picked some 'experts' but they are not going in line with the wide majority of medical opinion. Especially with regards to the presence of fans. Theyve also been repeating some outright garbage, such as the idea that somehow players are safer playing football than not, which is absurd, and really calls into question the advice theyre being given.

Hell, look at JP and his childishness after the county health board implored no fans, and he ran to twitter to post a picture of the stadium and "can't wait to have all the fans here". Lost a ton of respect for him with that move.

It's not "absurd" to say that they players are safer playing. Not at all. If they are just normal students going to class, going to parties, living the college life, they are much more likely to get the virus. Right now, there is a carrot in front of them not to do that stuff and that is football. Without that carrot and the 3x a week testing, they are more likely to catch and spread the virus. They are not likely to get it by playing if both teams test the day before a game. And don't even get me started on the risk if these players go home and take online classes with no testing or no medical support. If the players are going to be in Ames, they are safer playing due to all the protocols in place and the prioritization of team over partying.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Who is running the test samples? If the team is taking up 300-400 tests per week, is that hurting the testing capacity for other "regular" sick people who might need the test more, or is that easily absorbable?

ISU is doing its own testing at the VDL. Supposedly they are getting results to people in around 3 hours. They've had all summer to plan for this, you can bet that they're not just playing it by ear.

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
ISU is doing its own testing at the VDL. Supposedly they are getting results to people in around 3 hours. They've had all summer to plan for this, you can bet that they're not just playing it by ear.
It is my understanding, the VDL's machine can process 1,200/day and EIU's med school's machine can do 300-400 per day. The VDL has been helping the med school process results for some time now.

Main reason tmk - we have 12-13 million (??) heads of cattle, chickens, turkeys, hogs, etc. and the VDL has greater caoacity for all the obvious reasons.

Jonyrose

Oct 5, 2017
It is my understanding, the VDL's machine can process 1,200/day and EIU's med school's machine can do 300-400 per day. The VDL has been helping the med school process results for some time now.

Main reason tmk - we have 12-13 million (??) heads of cattle, chickens, turkeys, hogs, etc. and the VDL has greater caoacity for all the obvious reasons.

AHF

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Does anybody know if antibodies present will count as a case or just those that have it at the time of the test?
I know of two people, family members, who were positive for ABs but never tested for the active virus. Both of their physicians, different individuals, told them they would not be counted as infected and recovered.
Edit: by “not counted” they meant never counted. Both physicians were at University Hospital in IC.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: isutrevman

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
The Big10’s arrogance and knee-jerk reaction to the latest Covid scare of the week (Myocarditis) lead them to shutting down the season. They never consulted the other conferences on this decision and expected the other P5 conferences to fall in line and cancel too. Only the PAC did.

Now that the the Big10 and PAC have had their “oh sh17” moment after learning the Big12, SEC and ACC are moving ahead with their seasons, will they reverse their decision and actually work with us or are they too proud to change their tack?

It would be great to have a full football season, although modified.
No, they will not reverse their decision.
I will be shocked if our season goes as planned. Tough to say, but I think we are on the wrong side of history. I think the b10 and P12 made the correct decision.
I just hope that if we try to play that we have no fans. Never much doubt the confederacy was going to play regardless of the consequences.

cywr89

May 14, 2009
They may have cherry picked some 'experts' but they are not going in line with the wide majority of medical opinion. Especially with regards to the presence of fans. Theyve also been repeating some outright garbage, such as the idea that somehow players are safer playing football than not, which is absurd, and really calls into question the advice theyre being given.

Hell, look at JP and his childishness after the county health board implored no fans, and he ran to twitter to post a picture of the stadium and "can't wait to have all the fans here". Lost a ton of respect for him with that move.
This post is garage. Another sheep following the media narrative. This country is falling apart. Out.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
It would take a massive hit of Covid to cancel games. And they have planted bye weeks and leeway to move/postpone games if needed. Same games could get very interesting if a few stars test positive and an elite team loses a game they probably wouldn’t have.

This could be a year the dice roll in our favor.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010

From what I've read, antibody cases are usually included in the total case count, but not in the situation where "active cases" are being tracked. Which makes some sense.

Sparkplug

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Central Iowa
From what I've read, antibody cases are usually included in the total case count, but not in the situation where "active cases" are being tracked. Which makes some sense.

Donated blood last Friday. Was told to login to my account in a few days and check test results. Expected to just see updated information but saw serology test results

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Donated blood last Friday. Was told to login to my account in a few days and check test results. Expected to just see updated information but saw serology test results

If you were COVID positive for antibodies, the Red Cross will be interested in contacting you about convalescent plasma donations. I was told you can be paid up to $200 for each donation.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I know of two people, family members, who were positive for ABs but never tested for the active virus. Both of their physicians, different individuals, told them they would not be counted as infected and recovered.
Edit: by “not counted” they meant never counted. Both physicians were at University Hospital in IC.

If they never tested positive for the Rona. Why would they be counted as a positive?

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
At this point, the 3 conferences realize it as well. I don't think anything is going to slow them down now barring a complete collapse in COVID controls with most teams.
This is the main reason why I’m not upset if not allowed to attend games I will be just fine. Just play the damn games and get through a full season and I’ll be tickled pink.