Will the BIG10 Reverse Their Decision?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

helechopper

Loyal Son Forever True
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2006
Chicago
The Big10’s arrogance and knee-jerk reaction to the latest Covid scare of the week (Myocarditis) lead them to shutting down the season. They never consulted the other conferences on this decision and expected the other P5 conferences to fall in line and cancel too. Only the PAC did.

Now that the the Big10 and PAC have had their “oh sh17” moment after learning the Big12, SEC and ACC are moving ahead with their seasons, will they reverse their decision and actually work with us or are they too proud to change their tack?

It would be great to have a full football season, although modified.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Good luck from a liability standpoint if you go back to playing after acknowledging it's not safe.
The ONLY way they could get out of what you just said, would be if there was "new information" presented to them in which they were able to re-evaluate their decision.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
The Big10’s arrogance and knee-jerk reaction to the latest Covid scare of the week (Myocarditis) lead them to shutting down the season. They never consulted the other conferences on this decision and expected the other P5 conferences to fall in line and cancel too. Only the PAC did.

Now that the the Big10 and PAC have had their “oh sh17” moment after learning the Big12, SEC and ACC are moving ahead with their seasons, will they reverse their decision and actually work with us or are they too proud to change their tack?

1597346066741.png

Reactions: helechopper

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I think the Big 10 is probably surprised the other conferences didn't follow them. However, I'd imagine they stand by their assessment that the potential liability outweighs the benefit of playing.

I'm not sure the right answer here, but I'd imagine they are thinking "what are they thinking?" more than they are thinking "boy, we screwed up."

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
I think the Big 10 is probably surprised the other conferences didn't follow them. However, I'd imagine they stand by their assessment that the potential liability outweighs the benefit of playing.

I'm not sure the right answer here, but I'd imagine they are thinking "what are they thinking?" more than they are thinking "boy, we screwed up."

The thing is, if we lose even one coach or player (not ISU but all of college football that plays this year), then the Big 10 probably made the correct decision.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Does anyone here really think that we will be playing a FULL season of games. We will get started, and before long, one or two teams will come down with the virus and that will be the end of it.

By moving the schedule back, the Big 12 and the rest are trying to buy time, nothing more.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

Its not 'arrogance' or a 'knee-jerk reaction'. It is following the advice of experts. Most conferences are following the experts. A few are ignoring them because their salaries are dependent on ignoring that advice.

The B12\ACC\SEC are the few conferences in all of college sports to ignore the experts and push ahead. Not surprisingly, because they are heavily based in states that have ignored experts all the way along which has contributed immensely to our situation being as bad as it is.

Its highly likely before all is said and done the remaining few conferences with football cancel anyway.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Its not 'arrogance' or a 'knee-jerk reaction'. It is following the advice of experts. Most conferences are following the experts. A few are ignoring them because their salaries are dependent on ignoring that advice.

The B12\ACC\SEC are the few conferences in all of college sports to ignore the experts and push ahead. Not surprisingly, because they are heavily based in states that have ignored experts all the way along which has contributed immensely to our situation being as bad as it is.

Its highly likely before all is said and done the remaining few conferences with football cancel anyway.

See, I hate this statement. It completely oversimplifies it.

I genuinely don't think Jamie Pollard or Bob Bowlsby or Greg Sankey or whoever else are trying to line their pockets. These guys have more money than they'd ever need. Not playing football would have significant ramifications on many, many people other than that. There are programs that would be cut. There are scholarships kids would not receive in the future. There are jobs that would be lost. There are local businesses that would suffer. There are kids that will not have a chance to show they can play professionally. Let's not act like billions in revenue can be lost and the only people that would feel it are the ADs and Commissioners.

I can appreciate the play/don't play debate from a medical standpoint. That's fine. But quit acting like this is all being done to make some administrators rich.

Last edited:

ISUTex

May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.

The ACC, Big 12 and SEC are listening to medical experts who are telling them that they "can" play this fall.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
The ACC, Big 12 and SEC are listening to medical experts who are telling them that they "can" play this fall.

They may have cherry picked some 'experts' but they are not going in line with the wide majority of medical opinion. Especially with regards to the presence of fans. Theyve also been repeating some outright garbage, such as the idea that somehow players are safer playing football than not, which is absurd, and really calls into question the advice theyre being given.

Hell, look at JP and his childishness after the county health board implored no fans, and he ran to twitter to post a picture of the stadium and "can't wait to have all the fans here". Lost a ton of respect for him with that move.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013

Not that it makes the decision to proceed right, but I think it's important to note that for the most part nearly every conference/school in that "no fall football" row operate football at a deficit. 98% of FCS programs operate in the red, and I believe on average lose over $2M/year. When the big conferences all but eliminated non-con, G5 teams like in the MAC were also staring at operating football at a loss this year.

Obviously the Big 10 and the PAC are losing a lot of money. For everybody else it's going to save them money. For small DIII and JUCOs football is a good means of boosting enrollment, so you could see some harm to the schools if kids end up deciding not to enroll because there's no football, but probably not enough to justify the risk and operating cost.

But the reality is for almost everybody on that board other than the P5, playing a season is all risk and little to negative reward financially.