Why no automatic 1st down on defense holding....

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

coyoteclone

Jan 7, 2009
My football official son read me the NCAA rule 9-3-4: Defensive holding carries a 10 yard penalty that is awarded the offense as well an an automatic first down. He says officials screwed up by not awarding a first down

• Informative
Reactions: aauummm

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
My football official son read me the NCAA rule 9-3-4: Defensive holding carries a 10 yard penalty that is awarded the offense as well an an automatic first down. He says officials screwed up by not awarding a first down

page FR 99 says the automatic first down only applies to defensive holding on a pass play where the pass crosses the neutral zone. (I just looked it up)

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid

That rule is for passing plays. Rule 9-3-3 was applied in this case and does not include an automatic first down.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
I was at the game and was confused as well, but it took about 10 seconds on a google search to figure out that the rule was applied correctly

• Informative
Reactions: aauummm

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
How about the refs ******* up that spot on I believe Jones. Should’ve been a 1st down, instead 4th and 1 and then we got stopped. That completely flipped the momentum as I think we would’ve gone up 3 scores if we converted that drive with a TD.

Can’t believe the booth didn’t at least replay that.

Also that should have been a TD by Pettway after the offensive PI call reversal.

Last edited:

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
It's just so stupid that you wouldn't give a first down on a defensive hold regardless if a throw is made as the hold may result in the qb holding on to the football. Dumb rule.

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
Your football son has all the makings to be a Big 12 official. ;-)
An automatic first down for defensive holding only applies if it is a passing play where the ball crosses the neutral zone. In this case we ran the ball. So, still 2nd down.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
How about the refs ******* up that spot on I believe Jones. Should’ve been a 1st down, instead 4th and 1 and then we got stopped. That completely flipped the momentum as I think we would’ve gone up 3 scores if we converted that drive with a TD.

Can’t believe the booth didn’t at least replay that.

Also that should have been a TD by Pettway after the offensive PI call reversal.

Yeah, but why are we in shotgun on 4th and inches as well? Just stupid