Why is our passing game hot garbage?

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Bootlegs would be nice. Counter action. Screens/draw here and there.

We ran a bunch of screens. Even RB screen. This thread is pointless, the title should be “our offensive line got blown up”. That’s it. Just that. That’s the answer. That’s why the passing game looks like hot garbage. There’s no adjustment to be made by the coaching staff in game for that.

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
We ran a bunch of screens. Even RB screen. This thread is pointless, the title should be “our offensive line got blown up”. That’s it. Just that. That’s the answer. That’s why the passing game looks like hot garbage. There’s no adjustment to be made by the coaching staff in game for that.
Agree. People calling for Tom Manning’s job are ridiculous. He’s not going anywhere. Let’s look at the body of work and stop being so reactionary

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
I think the difference in the game came down to OSU willing to actually call QB runs and we refuse to even roll Brock out let alone call running plays for him. Brock running the ball more loosens up Hall's running game and the passing game because the DBs have to be aware that Brock could be running up their backs.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Because Campbell hires his buddies, and Manning is a trash OC who has basically pilfered 1M+ from ISU. You telling me we can't hire some creative dude from a lower level who can get more out of the best QB in school history (who has regressed), an NFL RB, and best TE in school history? Almost every loss in the Campbell era can be traced back to the offense not scoring enough. There has been a lot of talent on that side of the ball during that time (more NFL talent than on defense).

We as a fanbase don't talk enough about how we aren't maximizing the time we have with Purdy. Depending on what happens next year the best season we're going to have with the best QB in school history (and good/great defenses) is 8 wins? Unacceptable.

We've had Rosenfels, Wallace (both better than Purdy) and maxed out at 9 games. Davis bros? Losing records. Iowa State has the same problem Iowa has. Overall lack of talent. ISU has had more talent at QB and WR, but Iowa has been better at OL/TE/LB. If ISU could somehow figure out how to upgrade talent at OL, and turn them into an NFL farm system, we would be world beaters. But........we haven't, so we are basically Iowa right now. 6-8 win seasons. :(

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
The passing game is always going to look bad when there is constant pressure up the middle. Real bad.

Don't agree. With a good OC.... teams can destroy blitzes all day long with pressure up the middle. It creates huge advantages all over the field for you if you know how to scheme against it.... which Manning has no clue how to do.

The play where Purdy gets called for grounding was a prime example.... I almost couldn't believe my eyes.... the play was there for the TD to Hall with a dump off over the line of scrimmage, but Purdy clutched it too long.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Maybe someone that actually played football at a high level or coached at decent level could tell us if it’s a good idea to have your QB roll out when your Oline is getting trounced?

I could see that not being a great idea but seems to be the consensus of the CF hive mind right now.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
I felt like this was a continuation of the ISU vs. OSU game last year. Offensive gameplan was terrible and ISU decided to stick with it no matter how bad ISU was doing. OSU knows how to shut ISU down and ISU has no answer. Might want to have the OC do something about that.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Someone who can actually analyze what happened rather than have an emotional melt down. I salute you!

Getting Milton back and any O-lineman would be very helpful. The young lineman have out played their experience in past games, but the excellent OSU defensive line was able to take advantage of them. Compare the time Purdy had to pass to Sanders. Most successful pass plays were after Purdy shuffled around in the pocket to buy any time. Drops today didn't help. Hopefully Milton is available before our final pod of games as those are the toughest remaining.

Manning is a good coordinator even after loses. Not perfect, but one of the best we've ever had.
Thank you for the salute. (Believe it or not, there are larger issues than kids wearing our school colors tossing around a pigskin).

Purdy indeed had to move around to buy time vs. OSU.

We can't overlook OSU's D, either. They returned 10 starters and have some really good players on that side of the ball. That talent vs. what have been typical ISU teams over the years wins 50-10.

Let's hope we get that Milton Magic back soon.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006

I totally disagree with the bolded above. Yes, our OL isn't very good and the blitzes up the middle were killing us.... but you can totally abuse teams that are doing that to you if you know what to do.

I can't remember which NFL team it is.... but on some of their plays, their OL doesn't even move when the ball is snapped, and they just allow all the rushers a free path to the QB.... who then just drops it off to the RB or WR in behind the OL (basically a screen) for HUGE gains. So in that case, they aren't even really getting a chip on the pass rushers, just letting them come totally free.... and then burning them big time.

There are tons of creative ways to burn teams that blitz you all day and force them to stop blitzing you. Happens ALL the time. If there were no solutions to it, then defenses would just always do it. But instead we keep Purdy in the pocket holding onto the ball and waiting for our WRs and TEs to run slow developing routes that Purdy has no time to wait for them to develop.

Reactions: HouClone

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Agree. People calling for Tom Manning’s job are ridiculous. He’s not going anywhere. Let’s look at the body of work and stop being so reactionary
I agree with this but everytime I read the phrase “body of work”, I just cringe.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Maybe someone that actually played football at a high level or coached at decent level could tell us if it’s a good idea to have your QB roll out when your Oline is getting trounced?

I could see that not being a great idea but seems to be the consensus of the CF hive mind right now.

Repeating but I thought OSU's pursuit and coverage yesterday was likely too good to just 'do' that like it was the only answer. You generally have to have someone who can get out and protect the QB. It's the same reason you can't just dial up a bunch of receiver screens without the speed and angles from the O-line (and speed/agility from the receiver).

Maybe more was there to the outside for Kene or Hall but it still wasn't a 'go-to' as OSU seemed really good at backside pursuit.

People seem to think because Purday can scramble a bit that he's Russel Wilson and he isn't. I do think he's at his best when he can move around a bit but he really didn't even have time to do that yesterday.

Reactions: SpokaneCY

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I totally disagree with the bolded above. Yes, our OL isn't very good and the blitzes up the middle were killing us.... but you can totally abuse teams that are doing that to you if you know what to do.

I can't remember which NFL team it is.... but on some of their plays, their OL doesn't even move when the ball is snapped, and they just allow all the rushers a free path to the QB.... who then just drops it off to the RB or WR in behind the OL (basically a screen) for HUGE gains. So in that case, they aren't even really getting a chip on the pass rushers, just letting them come totally free.... and then burning them big time.

There are tons of creative ways to burn teams that blitz you all day and force them to stop blitzing you. Happens ALL the time. If there were no solutions to it, then defenses would just always do it. But instead we keep Purdy in the pocket holding onto the ball and waiting for our WRs and TEs to run slow developing routes that Purdy has no time to wait for them to develop.

Who out of ISU's receiving corps is fast enough to do this?

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Who out of ISU's receiving corps is fast enough to do this?

To do what? Slip in behind the OL and take a quick dump off pass? That doesn't take any speed whatsoever.... and once you catch the dump off... you have 4-5 OL in front of you.... I could run behind that and get huge yards.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
To do what? Slip in behind the OL and take a quick dump off pass? That doesn't take any speed whatsoever.... and once you catch the dump off... you have 4-5 OL in front of you.... I could run behind that and get huge yards.

Do you think ISU has the speed at OL to consistently do this? Was there much for seams in OSU's defense?

OSU was bringing pressure while also covering up those areas.

Your plan works if the talent is available to do it against an undisciplined defense. OSU knew what they were doing and did it well.

And to your earlier assertion that Hall was open on that grounding call...I just watched it; he was covered until Purdy was getting hit.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Do you think ISU has the speed at OL to consistently do this? Was there much for seams in OSU's defense?

OSU was bringing pressure while also covering up those areas.

Your plan works if the talent is available to do it against an undisciplined defense. OSU knew what they were doing and did it well.

And to your earlier assertion that Hall was open on that grounding call...I just watched it; he was covered until Purdy was getting hit.

Yep.... you're right..... there's nothing ISU could do to take advantage of OSU's aggressive defense because we just don't have the talent or the speed..... so teams should just copy what OSU did to us and we'll never win another game again...... got it.

• Dumb
Reactions: SpokaneCY