Why is our passing game hot garbage?

Billups06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 18, 2006
isu needs to work on man and pressure busters again after losing earlier this year to similar, tough defense for us because no butler or lazard, oline gotta get better, ramos out worked against ttu but not osu, sorry that was obvious this was gonna happen all week

Agreed. We tend to get stubborn on offense against man defense. At one point in the 4th quarter, Purdy had 8 straight incompletions (according to announcers, albeit one being the Kolar drop). We never appeared to change routes, and never gave Purdy simple throws. Taking something like a 2 yard completion > 8 incompletions, something to get Purdy in rhythm.

No more use reflecting on this game, on to the next.

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
I've learned one solid fact in my time at Cyclone Fanatic.

Win the game = our OC is God
Lose the game = fire the OC

Middle ground? Never heard of it.

In his defense, he called a really good game against OU and we dominated Tech. But today was awful and against TCU he wasn’t exactly great. Overall he’s been worse than CMC was at calling plays and he wasn’t exactly great at it

• Haha
Reactions: flycy

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
No one is saying Hall was the problem. What we're saying is taking out Hall's long runs which were likely flukes/aberrations (especially the second one) the offense was absolutely abysmal. Hall is like Montgomery, making plays in spite of the problems (scheme and/or lack of talent) around him.
Pretty much every game you could say the same thing, take Hubbard's long run out of the game or the missed field goals by ISU and we win.
The problem clear to anyone that watched the game, we needed Purdy to run the ball on RPO"s more often and for the receivers to catch the damn ball. We had to know the OSU was going to blitz us and we were never ahead of that.
How many 3rd and longs did we give up? Plus on the long run by Hall in first half we did not score points. That was a turning point in the game, score a TD there and we are up 14 - 0, but OSU held and then we missed the field goal.

Reactions: Snydes

jdubs

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 5, 2011
Pretty much every game you could say the same thing, take Hubbard's long run out of the game or the missed field goals by ISU and we win.
The problem clear to anyone that watched the game, we needed Purdy to run the ball on RPO"s more often and for the receivers to catch the damn ball. We had to know the OSU was going to blitz us and we were never ahead of that.
How many 3rd and longs did we give up? Plus on the long run by Hall in first half we did not score points. That was a turning point in the game, score a TD there and we are up 14 - 0, but OSU held and then we missed the field goal.

This is just false. Both teams averaged a very low yard per play but they moved it more consistently than we did. We had four explosive plays and all were pretty flukey. We flat out did not move the ball without lucky plays. Most games you don't depend on 4 plays for your 75%+ of your offense.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Because Campbell hires his buddies, and Manning is a trash OC who has basically pilfered 1M+ from ISU. You telling me we can't hire some creative dude from a lower level who can get more out of the best QB in school history (who has regressed), an NFL RB, and best TE in school history? Almost every loss in the Campbell era can be traced back to the offense not scoring enough. There has been a lot of talent on that side of the ball during that time (more NFL talent than on defense).

We as a fanbase don't talk enough about how we aren't maximizing the time we have with Purdy. Depending on what happens next year the best season we're going to have with the best QB in school history (and good/great defenses) is 8 wins? Unacceptable.

Meh. This is pretty ott on Purdy. I mean ya for ISU but it’s not like he’s Drew Brees or something.Like I said last week he’s the poor poor man’s Drew Brees. I’m not too worried about the future Dekkers has way more upside than Brock.

jdubs

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 5, 2011
Meh. This is pretty ott on Purdy. I mean ya for ISU but it’s not like he’s Drew Brees or something.Like I said last week he’s the poor poor man’s Drew Brees. I’m not too worried about the future Dekkers has way more upside than Brock.

I too, place more faith in a true freshman QB with no snaps and who played in the lower high schools levels of Iowa than I do over a guy who has proven to be an elite college QB.

Wait, no I don't because that's ridiculous lol.

EDIT

When in the hell is the "poor man's" version of a ******* NFL hall of famer a negative lmao.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I too, place more faith in a true freshman QB with no snaps and who played in the lower high schools levels of Iowa than I do over a guy who has proven to be an elite college QB.

Wait, no I don't because that's ridiculous lol.

EDIT

When in the hell is the "poor man's" version of a ******* NFL hall of famer a negative lmao.

No; POOR, POOR man’s. So like poor, but the bottom level of poor.

• Informative
Reactions: 83cy

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
hes is a bit short is one problem but not great when oline isnt great
manning is a top notch offensive coach the day his firing is called for by a majority of this website is the day i say good day sir

oline was a mess today

isu needs to work on man and pressure busters again after losing earlier this year to similar, tough defense for us because no butler or lazard, oline gotta get better, ramos out worked against ttu but not osu, sorry that was obvious this was gonna happen all week
Kinda like your grammar.

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
You cannot be good on offense without at least an above average OL.... and we haven't had one since CMC has been here.... or before him for that matter.

We've always had fairly decent skill guys..... but an OL that can't block for s**t.... and until that's fixed we can't expect much from that side of the ball.

As CW said after the game.... we really didn't run the ball well either today outside of two runs.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
My amateur opinion(s):

1. In the OSU game, it had to do with the lack of protection. Our OL looked over-matched.
2. It seems that our talent is not as good at WR as I had hoped -- Scates and Shaw are almost non-factors. Maybe it would look different if Milton were available and drawing attention.

Landing Hutchinson turned out to be VERY significant.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
This is just false. Both teams averaged a very low yard per play but they moved it more consistently than we did. We had four explosive plays and all were pretty flukey. We flat out did not move the ball without lucky plays. Most games you don't depend on 4 plays for your 75%+ of your offense.
Football is won by the big play, watch the Alabama's and Clemson's of the world and they get big play after big play. Most team cannot just chip it out and go down the field time and time again in 3 to 5 yard carries. The game has now become which team can make the long scoring pass/run and which defense can prevent it.

The OSU QB had a field day because we allowed him to comfortable in pocket and he got into a rhythm, OSU did the opposite, with their blitzes, never allowed Purdy to get comfortable and his games was off because of it.

Dannynoonan

May 5, 2015
Simple. We don’t have good enough lineman and our OC refuses to roll out our mobile quarterback. He drops straight back and tries to do it all himself. Roll him out and let him make a play.
Bootlegs would be nice. Counter action. Screens/draw here and there.

Reactions: Spanky

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
I would like to have seen more QB Roll-outs and more option for Purdy to run. Early in the game when Purdy called his own number, he had success because the defense was mainly keyed in on Breece. We are simply not playing to our strengths on offense.

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: wgleason and Snydes

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
My amateur opinion(s):

1. In the OSU game, it had to do with the lack of protection. Our OL looked over-matched.
2. It seems that our talent is not as good at WR as I had hoped -- Scates and Shaw are almost non-factors. Maybe it would look different if Milton were available and drawing attention.

Landing Hutchinson turned out to be VERY significant.

Someone who can actually analyze what happened rather than have an emotional melt down. I salute you!

Getting Milton back and any O-lineman would be very helpful. The young lineman have out played their experience in past games, but the excellent OSU defensive line was able to take advantage of them. Compare the time Purdy had to pass to Sanders. Most successful pass plays were after Purdy shuffled around in the pocket to buy any time. Drops today didn't help. Hopefully Milton is available before our final pod of games as those are the toughest remaining.

Manning is a good coordinator even after loses. Not perfect, but one of the best we've ever had.

• Agree
Reactions: I-stateTheTruth

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron