Why Gravity Is Different

Althetuna

Ducky was the best dog.
SuperFanatic
Jul 7, 2012
Somewhere in the Minneapolis Area
I thought it'd be nice to have something other than discussions on protests, COVID-19 and Trump

https://www.quantamagazine.org/why-...her-forces-20200615/?utm_source=pocket-newtab

The hypothesis of locality has been tested very well in ordinary settings, and it may seem natural to assume that it extends to the very short distances that are relevant for quantum gravity (these distances are small because gravity is so much weaker than the other forces). To confirm that locality persists at those distance scales, we need to build an apparatus capable of testing the independence of degrees of freedom separated by such small distances. A simple calculation shows, however, that an apparatus that’s heavy enough to avoid large quantum fluctuations in its position, which would ruin the experiment, will also necessarily be heavy enough to collapse into a black hole! Therefore, experiments confirming locality at this scale are not possible. And quantum gravity therefore has no need to respect locality at such length scales.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I thought it'd be nice to have something other than discussions on protests, COVID-19 and Trump.

Wait a second.

There are things about life that are *not* about the outrage of the daily news cycle?

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
Thank you. Very interesting to say the least. So, the best method for calculation is accurate differential sampling of data from other worlds. Cool. Now if we can only master cognitive reincarnation, then I'd be able to experience the wonder of such discoveries.

Reactions: StratCY

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
giphy.gif

Reactions: Althetuna and bos

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron