Why does Iowa do the Florida gator chomp?

RedStorm

Apr 11, 2006
If you watch a game of Iowa's they are always do the Florida Gator Chomp. No I am not sure what a HawkEYE has to do with Chomping like a Gator but my real question is where did it come from. Did they start it after playing Florida in a bowl game? I could see if they did it kind of like OU and A@M do the Longhorn upside down symbal but The HawkEYE's just look dumb doing it for some reason. Maybe because they don't have a chomping type mascot.

Funny thing is...they think they were the first one to do it.

tube1

Oct 19, 2006
Funny thing is...they think they were the first one to do it.

They do? I haven't heard that one before.

Frickin Wisconsin copying our 'Jump Around' thingy.

Frickin BoSox for copying Sweet Caroline.

Frickin every major team from the '80s for copying our smoke as the team enters the field.

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
Abso-freakin-lutely. Not only is it all the know, they never stop playing it either.

Have to admit, it probably works for them. I was about ready to run to the top and jump off the upper deck half way through the 3rd quarter :arghh:

anytime I hear fans complain about something the other team does that is annoying...I think it must be working exactly as planned and worth keeping.

Cloned4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 5, 2006
Ankeny
This is a classic "Pot, meet Kettle" thread.
I'm a season bball ticket holder and I can never recall one single time I've done a chomp motion or seen other fans doing it, at least not like the suckeye eyes do on 3rd downs. That's supposed to be Pac Man? With Star Wars music? Huh?? It's douchiest thing they do, and that's sayin something.

• Agree
Reactions: DaHiltonHaus1

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
And like we don't copy Nebraska's tunnel walk now . . .

That is the only thing I think about when we do the camera on the team as they walk to field, complete with red carpet a la Nebraska.

Sorry, but that is just how I feel about the tunnel walk and it has no bearing on the Iowa "Gator Chomp".

Nebraska calls the Allen Parsons Project known to most as the Jordan Bulls intro "the Husker song". Dead serious. Also I'm sure dozens of teams have had tunnels to walk through, my high school had a tunnel going under a street to the gym.

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
Sorry to break it to everyone, but ISU fans do the Gator chomp at basketball games. Why do our fans do it?
Yeah but Cyclone fans have been doing that for YEARS...so it doesn't count now. ;-)

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Why bump an old thread? I've never seen the gator chomp at any Iowa State basketball game.