Who would be the best next Coach?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IP Guy

Jun 16, 2007
I'll throw a new twist on an old theme with a different hypothetical than most pose for our future.

Let's say things DO actually pan out for Coach Prohm. Next year, Harris is eligible and learns the PG ways from a great PG coach, Bolton takes a huge next step, JCL thrives in the Hilton Magic environment, Johnson/Dubar/Blackwell/Foster provide a solid and diverse 4 for the team and Solo/Conditt/Foster provide a deep and talented 5. Our increased athleticism improves our defense. We make the NCAA tournament and generate a little buzz before losing in the second round.

That momentum helps us in recruiting, and we are top half of the Big 12 for quite some time.

After a decade or so, Coach Prohm hires a former Cyclone legend as an assistant. That assistant gains coaching experience for a few years, and then Coach Prohm either retires or moves on. We hire that assistant as our next coach.

Which Cyclone legend would you want as your next coach in that scenario?
  1. Georges Niang
  2. Matt Thomas
  3. Monte Morris
  4. Naz Long
  5. Tyrese Halliburton
  6. Other?

Reactions: isutrevman

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
giphy.gif

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I'll throw a new twist on an old theme with a different hypothetical than most pose for our future.

Let's say things DO actually pan out for Coach Prohm. Next year, Harris is eligible and learns the PG ways from a great PG coach, Bolton takes a huge next step, JCL thrives in the Hilton Magic environment, Johnson/Dubar/Blackwell/Foster provide a solid and diverse 4 for the team and Solo/Conditt/Foster provide a deep and talented 5. Our increased athleticism improves our defense. We make the NCAA tournament and generate a little buzz before losing in the second round.

That momentum helps us in recruiting, and we are top half of the Big 12 for quite some time.

After a decade or so, Coach Prohm hires a former Cyclone legend as an assistant. That assistant gains coaching experience for a few years, and then Coach Prohm either retires or moves on. We hire that assistant as our next coach.

Which Cyclone legend would you want as your next coach in that scenario?
  1. Georges Niang
  2. Matt Thomas
  3. Monte Morris
  4. Naz Long
  5. Tyrese Halliburton
  6. Other?

I may be crazy, but I could see Monte and Tyrese still being in the league in 10 years.

So out of that group, I'd probably say Naz. Dude's a natural leader and I could see him wanting to get back into working with young people.

Reactions: mikeiastat

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I think Naz is the obvious choice. I’m not sure if he is IowA states future coach, but I am sure that he will coach in the future.

Reactions: mikeiastat

g4ce

Feb 6, 2018
1. Monte (I think he has the best understanding of the game, has legit NBA cred)
2. Naz (Very outgoing and natural leader, also seems very humble)

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Naz seems like he would be the best coach out of the ones listed.

Last edited:

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Monte by a long shot. Opens up the Michigan recruiting grounds again.

Also think Chris Babb would be a flyer pick for me.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Odd thread. At some point Bryan Petersen will land a P5 assistant coaching job.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
If this is the hypothetical of former players, Bryan Petersen is the obvious, and maybe only, answer.
I was typing the same thing. I was trying to see if he went to Vegas but it looks like he stayed @ SDSU.

Reactions: DSMCy

Tom Buch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 23, 2020
Horny had his chance. He fancies himself as too big for ISU

Status
Not open for further replies.