Who do we Replace Iowa WIth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
BOR will make ISU and UI help keep UNI athletics afloat like they have in the past.

Both Iowa and ISU are going to be facing severe budget holes by the time all is said and done themselves, there's not going to be much appetite to make that hole deeper when UNI's program doesnt look all that sustainable to begin with.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I agree with your point, however, I imagine it is more about limiting exposures and keeping the bigger money games. I doubt it matters, because I think they will all get cancelled anyway.

and in theory maybe they think they’ll spread games out more.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
@FieldYates
·
9m
Canceled games as a result of the Big Ten's conference only schedule include:
* Ohio State-Oregon
* Michigan-Washington
* Penn State-Virginia Tech
* Iowa-Iowa State
* Miami-Michigan State

Well I see 4 other teams who now have a spot available to play a game.
Miami, VT, Washington Oregon

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
and in theory maybe they think they’ll spread games out more.

There was some talk they might move the conference games up, and leave space at the end of the season to try to reschedule games that get cancelled due to positive tests.

Reactions: Statefan10

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Iowa should brand itself as the photosynthesis capital of the world.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Football won’t happen till there is a vaccine. What makes you guys think spring will happen?

honestly it could happen without a vaccine if we would take it seriously and not pretend it’s some minor thing. The virus could also weaken.

but if it doesn’t weaken and/or this society continues to ignore it, then yes we have to wait.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Football won’t happen till there is a vaccine. What makes you guys think spring will happen?

Blind optimism. For better or worse, nobody knows what this is all going to look like in six months. There's nothing wrong with hoping for spring football but I wouldn't exactly bank on it, either.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
conference games start about a month later (usually, not always) than non-conference, that's probably what the NCAA will throw out as an excuse. The reality is this is step 1 towards no games. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
Some Big 10 games actually start week 1. I think they're going to totally redo the scheduling here. These teams usually play 9 conference games no? So 1 more game is going to have to be added. Also, I just saw a tweet saying their going to schedule divisional games heavily in the first few weeks in case there are interruptions.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
The Season:

swnRdgI.gif
This creativity is not getting the recognition it deserves!

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
@FieldYates
·
9m
* Ohio State-Oregon
* Michigan-Washington
* Iowa-Iowa State
* Miami-Michigan State

I'd actually like to play any of those other 4 team.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
@FieldYates
·
9m
* Ohio State-Oregon
* Michigan-Washington
* Iowa-Iowa State
* Miami-Michigan State

Give us the Ducks!

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
honestly it could happen without a vaccine if we would take it seriously and not pretend it’s some minor thing. The virus could also weaken.

but if it doesn’t weaken and/or this society continues to ignore it, then yes we have to wait.

Yep. Plenty of other countries that smashed their levels down and are now able to hold sports, albeit without fans. 7-8 months might be plenty of time to get the US down to those levels if we actually got serious about it.

GrappleCy

Aug 7, 2018

I feel like the ship has probably sailed on sports for this fall but I'm hopeful that will be the catalyst needed for people to take the steps so that we can have sports in the spring.

Reactions: Statefan10

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa

I might trip and fall into a pot of gold on my way home tonight

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
So the real question is, when the Big 12 cancels non-conference games, who will Iowa State double up on in order to play 10 games? I think Kansas is going to get a lot of calls.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
This hurts and is going to have catastrophic consequences for college sports -- ones that I do not think people really understand at this point. And I mean that in two ways. People do not appreciate it, and I do not think anybody knows how bad it could get.

But I guess that is no different than many other industries right now.

I am afraid you are going to be right.
I say good. Maybe intercollegiate athletics can go back to what made them so great in the first place instead of the stupid arms race it has been. Hopefully this absolutely kills the thought of paying athletes to compete as well.

20eyes

May 15, 2020
the bubble was gonna pop eventually, covid decided to speed up the process.

Agreed.

And I, for one, am glad it happened this way.

I don't take pleasure in the financial hit the P5 is taking but it is comforting that we're all in it together for the most part.

I think on the other end of this the P5 will be stronger than ever (perhaps a relative term) while FCS and below will look hard at scaling way, way back on athletics. The MAC and the Ivy's have already telegraphed this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron