Where should I move?

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
2019 we bought a place in Wake Forest, edge of Raleigh. Love the area.
Let me know your interests.
I like to go to concerts and sporting events. Other than that I'm kind of a homebody anymore. I'd prefer living where there's a lot of diversity and young people.

Reactions: WGO

cyputz

Jul 26, 2006
I like to go to concerts and sporting events. Other than that I'm kind of a homebody anymore. I'd prefer living where there's a lot of diversity and young people.

Obviously lot of concerts and sports in the area - the Triangle - Duke, NC and NC State, lot of activity. PRO is within a some hours, as well. Wake is growing nicely.
Golf courses etc.

• Informative
Reactions: deadeyededric

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
I am truly surprised by the amount of people recommending southern states. I don't know the OP's background or personality, but I do spend a lot of time in the Twin Cities and most people I know there would have a serious culture shock moving to Tennessee or North Carolina. Texas or Alabama would kill them. A lot of the cities mentioned are really great places to visit, but as someone who served his sentence in the South, I can honestly say I wouldn't want to live there again.

That being said, different people have different tastes and to quote Too Short, "You gotta get in where you fit in."

I moved from North Dakota, to Iowa, to north Texas (25 years ago). I'm still alive. What exactly is this "culture shock" in Texas that is going to kill northerners?

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Probably been said somewhere in this thread before but I’m jealous of those of you that have the flexibility to relocate so freely.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I moved from North Dakota, to Iowa, to north Texas (25 years ago). I'm still alive. What exactly is this "culture shock" in Texas that is going to kill northerners?

The only thing that I've always thought was a little weird about Texas/Texans in general is their love obsession with letting everyone know their from Texas. One of the woman that I went to high school with actually works in a shop that sells nothing but Texas memorabilia. If you're driving around in a truck with Texas license plates, I'm going to assume you're from Texas? Can you imagine seeing this in any other state and not saying WTF

1200x0.jpg

With that said, it wouldn't stop me from living there.

Reactions: Cyrealist

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Charlotte is pretty awesome. Good weather, variety of food/BBQ/bars downtown. Also, the airport is only 6-7 miles from downtown and is 6th busiest in the country to get pretty much anywhere.

KC is always a fun time and winters are much more palpable than Minnesota. Also, you can zoom up to Ames still for games here and there and enjoy road games at KU, KSU, OSU ect.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
The only thing that I've always thought was a little weird about Texas/Texans in general is their love obsession with letting everyone know their from Texas. One of the woman that I went to high school with actually works in a shop that sells nothing but Texas memorabilia. If you're driving around in a truck with Texas license plates, I'm going to assume you're from Texas? Can you imagine seeing this in any other state and not saying WTF

1200x0.jpg

Not on the level of Texas, but Minnesotans LOVE to tell you how great their state is.

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013
Not on the level of Texas, but Minnesotans LOVE to tell you how great their state is.

If I was doing Texas, I'd go to San Antonio or the Hill Country. I fell in love with Maine when we visited there, but you would have winter. K.C. - great barbecue, the Chiefs, and driving distance of ISU sports. That's a pretty good package.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown

1200x0.jpg

Texas never lets you forget that you're in Texas

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

I considered moving to Minneapolis once but one of the bigger turnoffs was this idea that Minneapolis was THE place for everything. Most people I met were from there or one of the Dakotas and their sample size seemed small.

Great little city and all but it wasn't anything I needed to start over in.

ruflosn

Dec 21, 2008
I moved to Portland and ended up in this situation. The down side is the number of choices is really overwhelming. We’ve stayed though because we love it here.
We visited Portland last September. It was very nice, but the homeless are out of control there. Had breakfast at Gravy, wow.

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston

1200x0.jpg

It’s like people who drive a car, like say a Honda Civic and they put a sticker across the top of the windshield that says Civic or Honda. Used to see that all the time and thought it was redundant and dumb