When You Win PB or Mega Lottey

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
I have always wondered, if you take the lump sum, you have a high rate of taxes, but can you donate that money instead of giving it to the government? Say give 100 million to ISU instead of giving that money as tax?
I’m sure there are ways to reduce the tax liability - but you’re ending up with a lot “less” (relatively speaking, of course) than advertised.

My understanding is that it’s wise to take the lump sum because if you die the scheduled payout does not transfer to heirs.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I’m sure there are ways to reduce the tax liability - but you’re ending up with a lot “less” (relatively speaking, of course) than advertised.

My understanding is that it’s wise to take the lump sum because if you die the scheduled payout does not transfer to heirs.

Not true for powerball. Your heirs inherit the remainder of the payouts.

• Useful
Reactions: twincyties

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I have always wondered, if you take the lump sum, you have a high rate of taxes, but can you donate that money instead of giving it to the government? Say give 100 million to ISU instead of giving that money as tax?
Yes, yes you can. Like I mentioned prior, the Fed holds a flat 25% for taxes, and with 700 million you are definitely in the 37% bracket. Add in roughly 8% for state and you you could donate 100MM and that only costs you 55MM in winnings.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

They are supposed to be paid to the estate.

FallOf81

Oct 24, 2017
Crap. I’m going to have a very uncomfortable conversation with several car dealerships and a realtor today. Might have jumped the gun a bit.
Hey at least you didn't tell your boss to F off and shove this job on your way out the door yesterday ... like I did. This is going to be awkward today.

• Haha
  • Funny
Reactions: cymac2408 and NWICY

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
Negative expected return with the lottery. You would never invest in a stock that has a negative expected return. It is just another way to tax the poor.

Not sure it's still negative when the jackpot is this high but yes in general I agree

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Negative expected return with the lottery. You would never invest in a stock that has a negative expected return. It is just another way to tax the poor.

Agreed but it’s nothing compared to another scam a huge % of working class people have fell for since the early 80s.

At least with lottery there’s a chance the cash can go to a working class person.

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
Thats why I don't buy tickets unless the jackpots get high enough that it's worth throwing away a few dollars for the chance.

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
I am now going to go invest my 2 dollars into a savings account instead.

After investing for 40 years at 8% interest, your initial investment of $2 will have grown to $43.45.
You will have earned $41.45 in interest.

IMG_4837.gif

cedarstrip

Aug 26, 2013
I don't think this is true when the jackpot is this high. If you bought every combination AND there was only one winner you would come out ahead. I'm buying a few tickets and I won't feel stupid.