What should Pollard do with Prohm?

• Keep Prohm as coach and let him finish his contract

• Fire Prohm as head coach immediately and pay buyout

• Fire Prohm at end of season and pay buyout

Results are only viewable after voting.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
The "cheap" comment by you here is unfair. The "diamond in the rough" model you describe produced Campbell and he has been and will be paid accordingly to keep him at ISU. As with Fred, if Campbell leaves ISU, it won't be primarily due to money.

The timing of Fred's departure significantly restricted the pool of interested and qualified candidates at that time. Gregg Marshall is the only high dollar guy I am aware of who expressed some interest but I doubt he was truly serious (ISU certainly wasn't the only program he used to poach more money from Wichita and the Kochs). And he obviously was far too toxic even back then.

JP doesn't need to hire a +$3M/yr +60 guy like Beilien, Sampson or Altman. Beilien is done with recruiting, Sampson essentially has a family business set up at UH (with Fertitta resources) and isn't going anywhere and Altman has too good of a gig at Oregon and a big buyout.

There are real good "diamond in the rough" candidates that would leave their current gigs for ISU for $2M/yr. Otz is amongst those even with his big UNLV buyout that will need to taken care of by you know who and others. Craig Smith, Luke Yaklich and Darian DeVries also need to be on the short list and one can argue they all have as much upside for ISU as Otz does.

If you knew how the last MBB coaching search and discussions went on the inside, you would call him cheap. Period.

bsaltyman

Drinker of Ames Lager
SuperFanatic
Sep 20, 2012
Ames, IA
I think that Prohm will leave on his own accord at the end of the year to coach at Wichita St. That would save ISU the buyout $$, which we could put towards the next coach.

I haven’t kept up on this thread at all, so I’m sorry if that possibility has already been discussed.

• Creative
  • Optimistic
Reactions: cyputz and tzjung

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
If you knew how the last MBB coaching search and discussions went on the inside, you would call him cheap. Period.
OK, if you supposedly know, name those coaches who were interested and turned away due to high salary demands. And you can cut out your "period" BS as well.

And as mentioned before, if you want to criticize JP for going "cheap" during the last MBB search, give him credit for going that same route with the Campbell hire as well.

• Funny
Reactions: cyatheart and Cy$

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
OK, if you supposedly know, name those coaches who were interested and turned away due to high salary demands. And you can cut out your "period" BS as well.

And as mentioned before, if you want to criticize JP for going "cheap" during the last MBB search, give him credit for going that same route with the Campbell hire as well.
Sorry but if you don’t think Jamie Pollard is cheap, than you know nothing about Jamie Pollard.

exCYtable

Apr 15, 2010
What has better odds: Pollard firing Prohm, or Iowa making Final Four?

This is maddening, knowing we were at the pinnacle of our program and on the doorstep of greatness, with a Final Four and potential national title at stake. As great at the Campbell hire was, the Prohm hire is equal parts bad, maybe worse.

Land Shark

Apr 6, 2006

In addition to Marshall, Jamie Dixon would have walked here for the job as he wanted out of Pitt in the worst way. He reached out to get info on the job and the pay.

• Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: ATCy and Snydes

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
In addition to Marshall, Jamie Dixon would have walked here for the job as he wanted out of Pitt in the worst way. He reached out to get info on the job and the pay.

well, I think we really didn't want Marshall.

Also if Dixon was so desperate he would have walked to Ames, then he should not have been so worried about the money.

Reactions: cyputz

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
yeah, once, 5 years ago and is 42-66 (16-51 B1G) since

I'll definitely give him the "get Northwestern to the tournament" credit (and he actually won a game there), but it looks more like an outlier now. If he had NW even mid-pack in Big 10 and even a couple more tourney appearances, that turns the head a bit. Otherwise ... no evidence jumps out to me of being capable of bringing ISU back up to speed.

• Agree
Reactions: Messi

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I hope to see all the squeaky clean trophies someday in our trophy case.
No trophies, but since this is COLLEGE basketball, doing things right is critical.

Having integrity in the academic side and not having rule violations is equally important to wins/losses for a lot of Cyclone alumni.

The good thing is it's not either/or. There are elite coaches who also emphasize academics, value their student athletes as young adults and follow the rules.

Look back at ISU history, it took 15 years for ISU to recover from the Jim Criner rules violations. Maybe Walden wasn't the guy for the job, but NCAA penalties didn't help.

Reactions: Go2Guy

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
No trophies, but since this is COLLEGE basketball, doing things right is critical.

Having integrity in the academic side and not having rule violations is equally important to wins/losses for a lot of Cyclone alumni.

The good thing is it's not either/or. There are elite coaches who also emphasize academics, value their student athletes as young adults and follow the rules.

Look back at ISU history, it took 15 years for ISU to recover from the Jim Criner rules violations. Maybe Walden wasn't the guy for the job, but NCAA penalties didn't help.
It took 15 years because we had bad coaching. Walden won more early in his career dealing with the sanctions. He went winless after 6 years. The administration got tired of him crying about it, because it clearly wasn’t the problem.

• Dumb
Reactions: Cat Stevens

Help Support Us

Become a patron