What should Pollard do with Prohm?

• Keep Prohm as coach and let him finish his contract

• Fire Prohm as head coach immediately and pay buyout

• Fire Prohm at end of season and pay buyout

Results are only viewable after voting.

isufanz1

Apr 11, 2006
WDM
I actually came away more optimistic than I had been. I think if we lose out he’s gone. I think he can win 3 more games and still be iffy. I think the money is there is we need to. I also think Jamey is going to be trying to sell hope next year for basketball to help with donations.
Is part of that hope he is going to sell a statement he is not going to be running the search? As his track record w the basketball program is not stellar.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Is part of that hope he is going to sell a statement he is not going to be running the search? As his track record w the basketball program is not stellar.

He hired the one of the best coaches in Iowa State history. Yes he missed on GMAC but that was not a bad hire as he was getting a P6 job that year. Prohm was definitely questionable and will turn out to be outright terrible but there is plenty of smoke that Prohm may not have been Pollard's primary choice and that Leath stepped in. But that hire is on Jamie. So its not as bad as you make it out to be from a hire perspective.

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
If the same people who privately funded the bridge decide they want pay prohms buyout too then yes there can be a change.
They could. JP is always working the donors mespecially on the entertainment center.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
He hired the one of the best coaches in Iowa State history. Yes he missed on GMAC but that was not a bad hire as he was getting a P6 job that year. Prohm was definitely questionable and will turn out to be outright terrible but there is plenty of smoke that Prohm may not have been Pollard's primary choice and that Leath stepped in. But that hire is on Jamie. So its not as bad as you make it out to be from a hire perspective.

I thought it was pretty much confirmed that Pollard just wanted to hire TJ and Leath wanted somebody else. Leath offered Bryce Drew, who ended up taking Vanderbilt instead, and then offered it to Prohm.

I am going to blame this one on Leath -- yet another reason to dislike him.

• Agree
Reactions: ATCy

CyHans

Apr 28, 2010
What is also clear is that no matter the players, his scheme/system is broken. No ball movement, hero ball (seriously - how do you end a game with 5 assists??), no attention to rebounding (we got outrebounded by 30 last night!!!), not defensive gameplan (tons and tons of easy layups and baskets). It doesn't matter who the players are, this is an all to common theme with Steve Prohm coached Iowa State teams. Last night made that glaringly obvious.
I agree. They have looked like they did last night ever since Morris/Thomas/Naz/Burton finished playing. They look totally clueless. Standing around, lost on defense, no effort. Does he ever yell at his players?

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I thought it was pretty much confirmed that Pollard just wanted to hire TJ and Leath wanted somebody else. Leath offered Bryce Drew, who ended up taking Vanderbilt instead, and then offered it to Prohm.

I am going to blame this one on Leath -- yet another reason to dislike him.

Even if this is true, Pollard should get the blame (or credit if it went well). Coaching hires are pretty much a crapshoot but Prohm will likely go down as his worst one by far. Even the ones that didn't work out were pretty good hires - Chizik, Campbell, GMAC were all very solid and made a ton of sense. Rhoads was out of no where but kinda worked. Hoiberg was way out of no where and it worked great. Prohm clearly isn't ready for big time college basketball.

Go back and look at JP's shorts lists:

Brian Kelly, Jim Harbaugh, Bryce Drew (didn't work out), Brad Underwood - all would have been awesome for Iowa State. He did pick the turd between Chizik, Kelly, and Harbaugh but none of those three were staying at ISU very long (and Pollard learned from that). And then look at his hires: Rhoads was marginal and couldn't sustain some initial success (not really Pollard's fault). Campbell will be far and away the greatest coach in Iowa State history. GMAC didn't work but had other P6 offers, Hoiberg is arguably the best coach in ISU basketball history for sustained success. And Prohm was a complete failure.

That's pretty damn good for an AD if you look around the country.

• Agree
Reactions: psychlone99

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Even if this is true, Pollard should get the blame (or credit if it went well). Coaching hires are pretty much a crapshoot but Prohm will likely go down as his worst one by far. Even the ones that didn't work out were pretty good hires - Chizik, Campbell, GMAC were all very solid and made a ton of sense. Rhoads was out of no where but kinda worked. Hoiberg was way out of no where and it worked great. Prohm clearly isn't ready for big time college basketball.

Go back and look at JP's shorts lists:

Brian Kelly, Jim Harbaugh, Bryce Drew (didn't work out), Brad Underwood - all would have been awesome for Iowa State. He did pick the turd between Chizik, Kelly, and Harbaugh but none of those three were staying at ISU very long (and Pollard learned from that). And then look at his hires: Rhoads was marginal and couldn't sustain some initial success (not really Pollard's fault). Campbell will be far and away the greatest coach in Iowa State history. GMAC didn't work but had other P6 offers, Hoiberg is arguably the best coach in ISU basketball history for sustained success. And Prohm was a complete failure.

That's pretty damn good for an AD if you look around the country.

Pollard has hired three men's basketball coaches and three football coaches.

He has also fired a basketball coach and two football coaches, one of them (McCarney) an ISU legend.

I'll give Pollard credit -- he is a survivor. Not many ADs last long enough to have that many bites at the apple.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
Pollard has hired three men's basketball coaches and three football coaches.

He has also fired a basketball coach and two football coaches, one of them (McCarney) an ISU legend.

I'll give Pollard credit -- he is a survivor. Not many ADs last long enough to have that many bites at the apple.

Has pollard only fired 1 person he hired? Rhoads

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Has pollard only fired 1 person he hired? Rhoads

Fired McCarney
Chizik left for Auburn
Fired Rhoads
Campbell is hopefully a lifer

Fired Morgan
McDermott left for Creighton
Hoiberg left for Chicago
Still have Prohm

...yep, looks like it.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
Fired McCarney
Chizik left for Auburn
Fired Rhoads
Campbell is hopefully a lifer

Fired Morgan
McDermott left for Creighton
Hoiberg left for Chicago
Still have Prohm

...yep, looks like it.

I believe he did hire and fire Kevin Jackson after Sanderson left

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I believe he did hire and fire Kevin Jackson after Sanderson left

My knowledge base outside of FB, MBB, and a little WBB and VB is pretty limited.

I know a lot of you guys on here like wrestling, which is great, but it was never my thing.

OKClones

Dec 12, 2019
I thought Fred essentially begged for the job and Pollard passed on him for GMAC?

No brainer after GMAC left for Creighton. I don't think Pollard had to work too hard.

Let's be serious other than the Campbell hire its been rough overall for Pollard and remember we lost 2 great coaches that were Alumni, Sanderson and Kindler Gymnastics now winning NCAA titles at OU.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I thought Fred essentially begged for the job and Pollard passed on him for GMAC?

No brainer after GMAC left for Creighton. I don't think Pollard had to work too hard.

Let's be serious other than the Campbell hire its been rough overall for Pollard and remember we lost 2 great coaches that were Alumni, Sanderson and Kindler Gymnastics now winning NCAA titles at OU.

Wait, what? You aren't giving Pollard credit for the guts it took to hire Fred Hoiberg? That's insane.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron