What is your favorite web browser?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

• Apple Safari

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • Google Chrome

Votes: 50 70.4%
  • Microsoft Edge

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • Mozilla Firefox

Votes: 13 18.3%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.6%

• Total voters

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
And why? If “Other,” what other? Do you prefer different ones, say one on a desktop, but a different one on a phone or tablet?

I don't believe I've seen this asked for awhile. Maybe I should have specified more instead of just one category of "other." I'll post my own response later, but wanted to post this first it has been so long since I've posted a poll.

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
I got my vote in. I'm on a new computer with new content blockers and so forth, that I turned off, even though I don't believe that should have affected it. It barely looks like the check box is checked, when you click it. But it appears my vote registered, when I clicked the box at the lower right after that.

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
Here is my admittedly long and nerdy rationale. But maybe something someone else could use . . .

My current ranking is: 1) Safari, 2) Firefox, and 3) Edge

I have used all of the above, including Chrome, quite a bit. Edge the least, but recently, more so. I’ve also used other browsers like Duck Duck Go and Brave.

I use both Apple and PCs, and sync across devices, generally.

I really liked Chrome when it first came out. Perhaps like most people, I considered it far superior at that time. Maybe most still do. It is easy, fast, and works well on many platforms. But it doesn’t do as much for me today. That, plus privacy issues, led me to minimize or get rid of some Google stuff altogether. In trimming various apps I’ve used or experimented with for years, in order to economize and be more efficient, I hit upon an unexpectedly good combination of browsers for my purposes.

The latest version of Edge works well on my new PC. I want to use it a lot right now as I get back into a Windows-based environment. Though I don’t use it a lot, Edge also works well on my iPad and iPhone.

It was a conundrum for me with Safari, as I knew it didn’t work as well on a PC in the past, so I didn’t even consider installing it. And certain things I use in Firefox (like tags), are not available in other browsers— but I am not a big fan of the Firefox apps for iPad or iPhone (which Safari works best with).

Before I looked into it a week ago, I might well have decided that Chrome was best to use for all of this.

Last week, though, it took only about an hour for me to learn that you can sync Firefox on a PC to Safari (easily via iCloud). Not only that, but set it up quickly, and for it to all to work well in the end (it doesn’t always). I knew I would like this, as I had transferred my Safari bookmarks to Firefox on a Mac before, and was surprised how closely they corresponded— the look and feel, and where the bookmarks were placed automatically, with little additional work on my part.

So, certain things or tasks I can only do in Safari (things that perhaps others here do not use), and certain things I can only do in Firefox. Now these functions are synced, like part of the same browser.

Some things are best for me to save (bookmark) in Firefox, that I need to have in Safari to do other things with. These bookmarks are now automatically saved in each in just one step.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Here is my admittedly long and nerdy rationale. But maybe something someone else could use . . .

My current ranking is: 1) Safari, 2) Firefox, and 3) Edge

I have used all of the above, including Chrome, quite a bit. Edge the least, but recently, more so. I’ve also used other browsers like Duck Duck Go and Brave.

I use both Apple and PCs, and sync across devices, generally.

I really liked Chrome when it first came out. Perhaps like most people, I considered it far superior at that time. Maybe most still do. It is easy, fast, and works well on many platforms. But it doesn’t do as much for me today. That, plus privacy issues, led me to minimize or get rid of some Google stuff altogether. In trimming various apps I’ve used or experimented with for years, in order to economize and be more efficient, I hit upon an unexpectedly good combination of browsers for my purposes.

The latest version of Edge works well on my new PC. I want to use it a lot right now as I get back into a Windows-based environment. Though I don’t use it a lot, Edge also works well on my iPad and iPhone.

It was a conundrum for me with Safari, as I knew it didn’t work as well on a PC in the past, so I didn’t even consider installing it. And certain things I use in Firefox (like tags), are not available in other browsers— but I am not a big fan of the Firefox apps for iPad or iPhone (which Safari works best with).

Before I looked into it a week ago, I might well have decided that Chrome was best to use for all of this.

Last week, though, it took only about an hour for me to learn that you can sync Firefox on a PC to Safari (easily via iCloud). Not only that, but set it up quickly, and for it to all to work well in the end (it doesn’t always). I knew I would like this, as I had transferred my Safari bookmarks to Firefox on a Mac before, and was surprised how closely they corresponded— the look and feel, and where the bookmarks were placed automatically, with little additional work on my part.

So, certain things or tasks I can only do in Safari (things that perhaps others here do not use), and certain things I can only do in Firefox. Now these functions are synced, like part of the same browser.

Some things are best for me to save (bookmark) in Firefox, that I need to have in Safari to do other things with. These bookmarks are now automatically saved in each in just one step.
I haven't looked at Edge recently, but my understanding was it was even worse than Chrome at one point for privacy. Did this change? I'm on a Mac/ios for personal and use Firefox on both, but have been looking at Safari again for the power savings.
I only use Windows at work and default to Chrome because I really don't care there.

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
I haven't looked at Edge recently, but my understanding was it was even worse than Chrome at one point for privacy. Did this change? I'm on a Mac/ios for personal and use Firefox on both, but have been looking at Safari again for the power savings.
I only use Windows at work and default to Chrome because I really don't care there.
I haven’t used the newest Edge a lot. Someone on this board though I think was saying it is based on Chromium and is way better. It’s definitely different than it was. Between the Apple II and the iPad II I used almost exclusively DOS and Windows based — a long time. Since the iPad II, I’ve used Windows some but not a lot. For reasons stated above, I find myself using primarily (and unexpectedly) Safari and Firefox. I use Edge more for, but not exclusively a bit of personal stuff, but want to use it some, to learn to use it better and all Windows components again (including security, that you generally don’t have to worry so much about with Apple).

Even a lot of the stuff I do, or could do, in Edge is pretty academic and protected in that respect— sites that are probably not targeted a lot, and typically on a very secure network.

Anyway I can’t really answer your question. These are things I’m going about right now.

Last edited:

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
I use Safari almost exclusively on the iPad and iPhone, and Firefox Focus as a content blocker there, within that Safari browser.

Like Reader View in Safari, you can easily have the FF content blocker set as default on or off for websites that you visit. And adjust that setting when you are on the webpage, like if you want to see content from an embedded Twitter post. You can turn the blocker off just that one time, or from that same page, instead turn the blocker off all the time for that site (change the default— the default for that particular site, not the overall default as to whether you are using a content blocker).

It’s kind of like how the Ignore feature works on this site. :D

I use Firefox almost exclusively on my PC, which syncs to Safari on the iPad and iPhone. But I use Edge some to know how it works and to have a second browser and in the process of setting it up.

Last edited:

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Slowly making the switch from Chrome to Edge. The only site I've had probwith has been this sight, it doesn't want to keep my log in.

• Informative
Reactions: Clone83

mb7299

Mar 15, 2013
Iowa Falls
Bing, may not be the best out there but getting points for searches and answering random questions, that can be cashed in for gift cards is really nice. Usually spend about 20 dollars a year from gift cards from the site.

Reactions: Clone83