What is this?

cyclonesurveyor

Jan 26, 2009
Fort Collins, CO
We have been renting our house for the last 18 months and just moved back. I found an Abbot MitraClip NT vascular clip device in my garage that one of our tenants had left behind. Anyone know anything about these?

Found an expired device for sale for $2500 so I am thinking about throwing it craigslist if it's not illegal. IMG_5221 (2).JPG

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
giphy.gif

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
We have been renting our house for the last 18 months and just moved back. I found an Abbot MitraClip NT vascular clip device in my garage that one of our tenants had left behind. Anyone know anything about these?

Found an expired device for sale for $2500 so I am thinking about throwing it craigslist if it's not illegal. View attachment 69689
was the tenant a heart surgeon?

• Winner
Reactions: Cyclones_R_GR8

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
The last tennants were from Austrailia and are in the gas / oil business. The first tennants both worked at one of the local hospitals but did not think they were doctors.
Pretty sure just from a quick google this needs to be inserted surgically. Maybe they sold medical supplies and it was a show piece?

Reactions: cyclonesurveyor

BikeSkiClone

Jul 25, 2014
Google tells me this device is used to insert a "clip" into the mitral valve of the heart, which prevents backflow of blood from the lower left chamber back into the upper left (if you remember from biology, blood flows from R Upper -> Right Lower -> Lungs -> Left Upper -> Left Lower -> rest of body, in simple terms). The mitral valve controls flow from L Upper to L lower.

https://myheart.net/articles/mitraclip-procedure/

Also, that thing seems to be worth $30,000?
In an analysis, the Advisory Board cautioned about the discrepancy between the $30,000 cost of the Abbott’s MitraClip device and Medicare reimbursement, which it pegged between $10,000 and $45,000.

Edit to add: The clip is inserted via the tubing shown on the box, which is inserted through a hole near the groin, up through a blood vessel, and positioned inside the heart. Apparently it's a newer procedure, with the other more familiar option being open-heart surgery.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
Google tells me this device is used to insert a "clip" into the mitral valve of the heart, which prevents backflow of blood from the lower left chamber back into the upper left (if you remember from biology, blood flows from R Upper -> Right Lower -> Lungs -> Left Upper -> Left Lower -> rest of body, in simple terms). The mitral valve controls flow from L Upper to L lower.

https://myheart.net/articles/mitraclip-procedure/

Also, that thing seems to be worth $30,000?

Edit to add: The clip is inserted via the tubing shown on the box, which is inserted through a hole near the groin, up through a blood vessel, and positioned inside the heart. Apparently it's a newer procedure, with the other more familiar option being open-heart surgery.
"A hole near the groin"
Hmm...

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
@cyclonesurveyor

Stolen (potentially) medical supplies from the renters that worked at the hospital. They were probably trying to sell it on the black market and couldn't. Honestly, it's best to dispose of it rather than try selling. Safety, etc...
Don't listen to this guy. Sell it on the black market and make a few G's.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Did a former athlete rent from you? Seems like a bunch of them foil into medical sales.