What a difference a year can make.

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
Whoever thinks CMC was a gut hire needs a walk down memory lane… he was a hot name that ISU needed to get ahead of before other schools showed interest. If we didn’t hire him away from Toledo, he would have been snapped up by someone else. Otherwise, I agree with the Hoiberg sentiment. TJ was Pollards choice from the day that Fred announced his departure and it wasn’t even close.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclonehomer

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Whoever thinks CMC was a gut hire needs a walk down memory lane… he was a hot name that ISU needed to get ahead of before other schools showed interest. If we didn’t hire him away from Toledo, he would have been snapped up by someone else. Otherwise, I agree with the Hoiberg sentiment. TJ was Pollards choice from the day that Fred announced his departure and it wasn’t even close.

JP’s not an idiot, he was Pollards choice way before Fred announced he was leaving.

RezClone

Mar 2, 2013
Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, SD
Good lord. Talking about the disaster of the 2015 coaching transition isn't even talking about TJ's current tenure.

No, it is simply not losing one's mind over decent basketball. Prohm broke some of you. TJ and company are doing a good job, but the euphoria is from grading on the Prohm curve. Had Prohm retained three guys with fit issues, only to lose them right before the season, we'd be holding that against him.
There were plenty of letdowns and head scratchers every single year Fred led us to the tournament and Prohm's first two years. We never really even came that close to winning the regular season title. Fred was also pretty hit or miss with the guys he signed, there really wasn't much middle ground at any point recruiting wise.

Objectively, TJ has not missed on anyone that he has brought in and has not laid an egg against anyone (small sample size, but a fact.) Yes, he absolutely will miss on some guys and his teams will lay eggs at some point, no doubt. But I think if you are calling what TJ has done just merely decent basketball not worthy of getting too excited about, that's also descriptive of Fred's entire body of work. It's not a great take.

• Haha
Reactions: WhoISthis

CyLyte2

Dec 3, 2020
TJ didn’t miss at the beginning of Fred’s tenure either. That’s why it turned around so quickly. When TJ left and was replaced by Matt A everything went to shite.

• Dumb
Reactions: WhoISthis

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
There were plenty of letdowns and head scratchers every single year Fred led us to the tournament and Prohm's first two years. We never really even came that close to winning the regular season title. Fred was also pretty hit or miss with the guys he signed, there really wasn't much middle ground at any point recruiting wise.

Objectively, TJ has not missed on anyone that he has brought in and has not laid an egg against anyone (small sample size, but a fact.) Yes, he absolutely will miss on some guys and his teams will lay eggs at some point, no doubt. But I think if you are calling what TJ has done just merely decent basketball not worthy of getting too excited about, that's also descriptive of Fred's entire body of work. It's not a great take.
I think there was one miss but choices may have been limited. Not a huge miss and jury is still out.

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
TJ didn’t miss at the beginning of Fred’s tenure either. That’s why it turned around so quickly. When TJ left and was replaced by Matt A everything went to shite.
Matt A was in Ames with Hoiberg for every year. TJ was here with Hoiberg every year except 2013-2014 and 2014-2015. TJ was replaced by Doc Sadler for a year and then Charlie Henry.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010

Funny stuff

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

I don’t think Fred cared that much about the regular season. I think he built his team around the concept of having enough talent to get hot enough to make the Final Four in any given year. What we got is what we got. The Georges foot break year was the one that got away.

Reactions: RezClone

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I have no predictions for the season, still early but it is fun to watch and look forward to Cyclone basketball again. I was a pretty diehard fan, was at ISU when Orr came and got things started. Followed them for years as I moved around the country, grad school, jobs etc. Live in rural Mississippi for the last 20 some years, Cyclone basketball was the main reason I got cable TV. Planned my week around games. Last couple of years were really soul-crushing, got to the point I didn't even know if they were playing, didn't really care. I'd watch if I noticed a game was on, but was hard to watch that product. I wasn't a big fan of the way the TJ hiring happened, but really didn't care, I didn't think resurrecting John Wooden himself would really help in the short term. So fun to be excited again and make sure I know when the games and don't miss a one. Win or lose, fun to watch.. well we haven't lost yet so that is easy to say LOL.
Very well said and I concur. Isn't this team easy to follow?

Not to hijack thread but mind telling us what it's like in rural Mississippi (where exactly)? Likes, dislikes, weather, people, etc.

Since I asked I guess I'll start. I now live in SW Missouri (Close to Springfield), past 30 years. I like the people (friendly), very Midwest still, not too much if any 'Southern' leanings. Conservative which is fine with me, nice climate, if you can get past the very hot July/August portion of the calendar. Ozarks are very nice, Branson nearby, KC and St Louis not too far away. Good schools.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I was OG TJ so I’m going to beat anyone over the head with that I can. I’m not that right, that often.
You earned major CF points by being right about Hinson all along! You had it pegged from the beginning oh Kreskin. :)

CyLyte2

Dec 3, 2020
Where did Hinson go. And like so many others he was a figment of Steve Prohm’s imagination.

maciues

Nov 20, 2013
I don’t think Fred cared that much about the regular season. I think he built his team around the concept of having enough talent to get hot enough to make the Final Four in any given year. What we got is what we got. The Georges foot break year was the one that got away.

I think Fred’s last year may have been the worst “one that got away”. 7 NBA players plus Hogue and McKay losing in first round.

• Agree
Reactions: arobb

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron