WBB Recruiting

CycloneBob

Aug 9, 2010
Ames
I'd love to see Nez get another year. IMO, she has raw talent and many indications of thriving and improving under CBF's system. She could be a game changer.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Here's her timeline (most details come from this article: https://www.amestrib.com/sports/201...s-nezerwas-journey-from-burundi-to-iowa-state )

2014-2015: First year at U of Rwanda (played club bb)
2015-2016: Second year at U of Rwanda (played club bb)
2016-2017: Started at Jacksonville College Jan 2017 (did not play bb)
2017-2018: Last year at Jacksonville College -- received Associate's Degree -- first year of collegiate basketball
2018-2019: First year at Iowa State -- second year of collegiate basketball

The issue: "Your five-year clock starts when you enroll as a full-time student at any college." http://www.ncaa.org/student-athletes/current/transfer-terms

By rule, her career is done. I'm guessing ISU's case is that the NCAA should be lenient on someone who started college overseas and has only played two years of collegiate basketball, while the NCAA may not be looking to open that can of worms with a waiver.

Five straight years in college and no injury, I am not seeing how they can possibly see this as anything but done. Would be interesting to know what point we are making in the request. Was she hurt in 16-17? If not I just don't see the case.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
Here's her timeline (most details come from this article: https://www.amestrib.com/sports/201...s-nezerwas-journey-from-burundi-to-iowa-state )

2014-2015: First year at U of Rwanda (played club bb)
2015-2016: Second year at U of Rwanda (played club bb)
2016-2017: Started at Jacksonville College Jan 2017 (did not play bb)
2017-2018: Last year at Jacksonville College -- received Associate's Degree -- first year of collegiate basketball
2018-2019: First year at Iowa State -- second year of collegiate basketball

The issue: "Your five-year clock starts when you enroll as a full-time student at any college." http://www.ncaa.org/student-athletes/current/transfer-terms

By rule, her career is done. I'm guessing ISU's case is that the NCAA should be lenient on someone who started college overseas and has only played two years of collegiate basketball, while the NCAA may not be looking to open that can of worms with a waiver.

I could only guess, but given it took her 4 years to get an associates degree, I'm wondering if they are appealing that she was not a full time student at Rwanda. Coach did say they were asking for two more years for her, which to me means they are basically saying the Rwanda stuff did not count.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I could only guess, but given it took her 4 years to get an associates degree, I'm wondering if they are appealing that she was not a full time student at Rwanda. Coach did say they were asking for two more years for her, which to me means they are basically saying the Rwanda stuff did not count.

You might be on to it there. That full-time looks to be the only legit angle. Although fans here would be pissed about it if this was for Iowa or Baylor.

Division I five-year clock: If you play at a Division I school, you have five-calendar years in which to play four seasons of competition. Your five-year clock starts when you enroll as a full-time student at any college. Thereafter, your clock continues, even if you spend an academic year in residence as a result of transferring; decide to red shirt, if you do not attend school or even if you go part-time during your college career.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
You could also make a case that she should get a waiver given that her first two years were at a school without intercollegiate athletics (as far as I can tell). It doesn't matter in the eyes of the rulebook, but that's why this is a waiver request and not a eligibility ruling.

Reactions: runbikeswim

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
You might be on to it there. That full-time looks to be the only legit angle. Although fans here would be pissed about it if this was for Iowa or Baylor.

I don't know if I would be pissed about someone who is basically a refugee from a war zone getting more opportunity. Now, Jessica Shepard getting her year to sit out waived with Turner's ACL injury happening, and extremely quick answer/turnaround too I might add, that bothered me.

• Agree
Reactions: SMP05 and BenEClone

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
You could also make a case that she should get a waiver given that her first two years were at a school without intercollegiate athletics (as far as I can tell). It doesn't matter in the eyes of the rulebook, but that's why this is a waiver request and not a eligibility ruling.

Another interesting angle. I wonder if the "club" basketball she played on was independent or was a college club like Iowa State club hockey .

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Another interesting angle. I wonder if the "club" basketball she played on was independent or was a college club like Iowa State club hockey .
It isn't, although it appears the university did have some sort of club basketball program.

https://www.newtimes.co.rw/section/read/202364

"She came to Rwanda in 2014 for studies and in 2015, with the help of University of Rwanda, Huye campus basketball club head coach Charles Mushumba, joined Ubumwe and in her maiden season she was named the MVP."

Ubumwe is the non-university club program she played for in the 2015-2016 timeframe. I don't know if she maybe played for her university club team before then.

Two more things of note in the article: she did start a third year at U of Rwanda (before moving to the US) and her major was Applied Statistics.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
I could only guess, but given it took her 4 years to get an associates degree, I'm wondering if they are appealing that she was not a full time student at Rwanda.
I think the main reason it was four years is that if was 2.5 in Rwanda (working toward a B.S. or whatever their equivalent is) followed by 1.5 years at Jacksonville College. An associates degree has certain requirements, and it's possible she didn't have a lot of her credits transfer when she moved to the US. Maybe schooling in Rwanda is more focused on the specific course of study and she needed to fulfill a bunch of gen ed requirements. And/or maybe she got her associates' degree after 1 year but stayed an extra semester to finish out the basketball season.

iowa_wildcat

Jan 25, 2008
Ames
Oklahoma just hired a new assistant coach. She just happens to be from the same high school as ISU prospect Emily Ryan. Do you suppose Miss Ryan has another suitor?

• Informative
Reactions: StClone

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Oklahoma just hired a new assistant coach. She just happens to be from the same high school as ISU prospect Emily Ryan. Do you suppose Miss Ryan has another suitor?

Shaking things up some in Norman. Also hired Coquese Washington, former head coach of Penn State, as associate head coach. Of course Sherri's son is on the staff and is, not surprisingly, retained. :rolleyes:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Have to say I'm impressed with Coale's hires.

Agree. Not sure standing pat was going to get it done for her after missing the NCAA for the first time in 20 years. I get the impression that even with Coale's performance history that the Sooner fans are restless.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Do you suppose Miss Ryan has another suitor?
I see from the KSU board that Ryan is supposedly down to two (ISU and Nebraska), and I do wonder if this hire might change things up. It looks like Oklahoma's been interested in her for quite a while (but who wouldn't be?)

I'm just happy to hear that ISU is in Ryan's final two. She's a special talent.

Last edited:

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Quick recap on Emily Ryan, a 5'10" PG in the class of 2020:
  • Goes to Central Plains HS in Kansas (same school as Jackie Stiles, and she is coached by Jackie's dad, Pat Stiles)
  • Central Plains has 6 straight state titles and 111 consecutive wins
  • She plays PG and averaged 30.6 points, 6.1 assists, 5.4 rebounds, and 5.6 steals this past season. 66% FG (49% on threes), 90% FT.
  • Third player in Kansas history with over 2000 points before her senior season
  • Averaging 29.0 ppg over her three-year career

• Informative
Reactions: Cyclone27inQC

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota