***WBB: 2022 Recruiting Thread***

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
One note about Brown: she was a redshirt sophomore this season, but since her redshirt year was 20-21 she only has two seasons of eligibility remaining. She does not have a bonus COVID year. That also means that, although there may be talk of her playing with her sister at ISU, their time would only overlap for one season.

Hopefully the one season is enough and that Ashley coming back helps. Not sure of the rules but hopefully Ashley, Emily, and Lex are reaching out if they want her.

CloneSt8

Aug 1, 2011
Kelsey is a 2023 recruit, so Ashley would have to play two extra years (COVID year plus one more) to play with her. That's only possible if Ashley has a medical hardship (or a regular redshirt, but that would be super strange).
And youngest sister Bailey is only in 4th grade. Maybe Ashley can come back and coach her!

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Kennedy Brown could take a covid year if she wanted to is that correct and play in 2022? She then has the possibility of playing one year with her sister in 2023. And I can't find her reasons for leaving Oregon State, has Kennedy rehashed that?

Last edited:

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Kennedy Brown could take a covid year if she wanted to is that correct and play in 2022? She then has the possibility of playing one year with her sister in 2023. And I can't find her reasons for leaving Oregon State, has Kennedy rehashed that?
She hasn't even mentioned entering the portal on social, but I'm sure anything she'd post would be the same sort of general statement everyone else says.

COVID doesn't factor into her situation at all. You can now transfer without sitting out a year -- COVID doesn't matter there. She was a medical redshirt in the free COVID season (20-21) so she can't get a bonus season in top of the two years of eligibility she has left. But yes, 22-23 and 23-24 are the two seasons she has left (barring another redshirt).

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: NWICY and StClone

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
I just took a quick glance at a 6 page thread on Kennedy Brown at an OSU fan board named Benny’s Place. She appears to have been well liked, but many believe she’s leaving because she sees herself as a 3 and OSU had her playing in the post. Many seem to think her offense will come around another year removed from the knee injury.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY and StClone

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
Gopher Hole thread says Sara Scalia is a gym rat who wants to win now with team mates who work as hard as she does. Sara, I’d like you to meet Emily Ryan…

Also, not much speculation on where she might go, but ISU mentioned several times…

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Our offense would allow a 6’6” kid to play like a 3. Just give me someone who can control the paint on defense. I think Kennedy Brown can do that.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
See Anna Prins…she could hit 3’s which can help pull the opposing post away from the middle. Not so hot controlling the paint.
She played in a system similar to the one we see now…two posts. She and Pop were quite the combo. What we need now is the merging of the two…tall, athletic, strong, and skilled.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
For what it’s worth, Kennedy Brown only averaged 1.1 blocks a game (would’ve been second on the team) but had 4 blocks against Michigan and Notre Dame, who are not slouches.

I do not have the time, but I’d love to see what about her game allowed her to have 4 blocks against a top team in the country and be silent others.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
A
Gopher Hole thread says Sara Scalia is a gym rat who wants to win now with team mates who work as hard as she does. Sara, I’d like you to meet Emily Ryan…

Also, not much speculation on where she might go, but ISU mentioned several times…
Also saw iowa mentioned

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
A

Also saw iowa mentioned

Saw that to, just not buying it. Peeps are just listing regional teams for lack of anything better. I think that while Scalia does fit both ISU and Iowa's style, she doesn't really fit either teams actual needs. Sure, she'd be an add for either team but it's not like going to a team that needs a 2 to start and play 35 minutes a game. Talking about what she might want and not just what a specific team might want as just a roster add. Throw in that Bluder doesn't seem big on the portal and that's another vote for "not Iowa".

Jennie B. is following her along with some other Big 10 teams and K-State. Depending on what she wants you can't rule out the South Dakota teams if she opts mid-major. Gotta think they recruited her.

Reactions: Junejax

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
Saw that to, just not buying it. Peeps are just listing regional teams for lack of anything better. I think that while Scalia does fit both ISU and Iowa's style, she doesn't really fit either teams actual needs. Sure, she'd be an add for either team but it's not like going to a team that needs a 2 to start and play 35 minutes a game. Talking about what she might want and not just what a specific team might want as just a roster add. Throw in that Bluder doesn't seem big on the portal and that's another vote for "not Iowa".

Jennie B. is following her along with some other Big 10 teams and K-State. Depending on what she wants you can't rule out the South Dakota teams if she opts mid-major. Gotta think they recruited her.
You know far better than me.
But it seems to me that she could fit very nicely at iowa if Clark is willing to share the ball. Make them a three horse team instead of two.
For us it would boil down to Aubrey, Fritz, MEM / time. Sara might be the best of the bunch, but not a real need.
The big girl fits our needs if she can play inside.
Just my opinion.

Reactions: BoxsterCy

GoldCy

Jul 11, 2016
She hasn't even mentioned entering the portal on social, but I'm sure anything she'd post would be the same sort of general statement everyone else says.

COVID doesn't factor into her situation at all. You can now transfer without sitting out a year -- COVID doesn't matter there. She was a medical redshirt in the free COVID season (20-21) so she can't get a bonus season in top of the two years of eligibility she has left. But yes, 22-23 and 23-24 are the two seasons she has left (barring another redshirt).
Theoretically you are probably right, but since 6 years seems common, you can't be certain about anything.

• Optimistic
Reactions: ICCYFAN

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
But it seems to me that she could fit very nicely at iowa if Clark is willing to share the ball. Make them a three horse team instead of two.
For us it would boil down to Aubrey, Fritz, MEM / time. Sara might be the best of the bunch, but not a real need.
Just my opinion.

Okay, that made me chuckle. I'm just a guy posting from Big 10 country. ;)

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
Just my opinion.
Sara's dad says she wants to "win"; nobody is better situated to "win" than ISU over the next couple years.

Sara's dad says she wants to play with teammates who work as hard as she does. She can meet Emily Ryan at the practice facility at 6am.

As for need, this is no time to be sentimental. MEM is a nice player (my personal favorite) and can be instant offense off the bench; I think she'd embrace that role. Diew can fill in from 2-5, so she'll get time. We don't know exactly what we have with Fritz, but it would never hurt to play deeper into the bench anyway - there's nothing wrong with going eight or nine deep. I personally believe Aubrey is considering the transfer portal with the situation as it is now.

Sara S. is a near perfect fit for us. She shoots the three at a top 20% rate, is a proven scorer in a P5 conference and can play the point - we can't count on Emily staying healthy with the minutes she logs, and it'd be great to have a contingency plan.

Again, this is the perfect time to go mercenary for a change. Add the available 6'6 athletic player with incredible potential and go guns blazing after the proven shooting guard. For ISU, we have an unprecedented opportunity that would make us a serious contender for (at least) the next two years - it's no time to hesitate!

Postscript: I have no idea if Kennedy B or Sara S have interest in ISU, or would be happy playing with three established "stars", but I hope we're at least exploring the possibility!

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Just my opinion.

If we could find a taller post who can pop out and hit a 15-20 ft jumper that would be ideal. Would open up the paint for Ashley as well.

On the defensive end, to be an elite team, need a 6'4"+ post player to give a team a stopper in the paint who can impact guards/forwrds driving to the basket.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
You can get Sara and keep the other 3 guards happy, as well.

Ashley, Emily, and Lexi all averaged 36 minutes this year.

Outside of Baylor, Texas, and Iowa, there’s no reason they would be needed for more than 30 minutes next year. We should be up by 30 in the 4th quarter most games.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
If we could find a taller post who can pop out and hit a 15-20 ft jumper that would be ideal. Would open up the paint for Ashley as well.

On the defensive end, to be an elite team, need a 6'4"+ post player to give a team a stopper in the paint who can impact guards/forwrds driving to the basket.
Actually, I was mostly worried about defense and rebounding - re: adding a big. Any offense would be a plus.