Watching 2019 games again

CyFy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 13, 2014
Huxley
I'm ready for football to be here, so I re-watched all of the games.

Purdy might be better than I remembered. Don't get me wrong I know he has been great. I believe he is already the best QB at ISU(my opinion). His accuracy is so good. When he sets his feet and throws balanced his completion % has to be 95%. At times he was throwing off his back foot even when he didn't need to, but even doing that he had some absolute dimes. His ability to hit guys in stride is next level.

We had the season we did which was pretty good and the number of 3 and 20 we gave up was crazy. This will for sure go down next year which could mean great things. 90% of the time we were giving up big plays it was errors by 33 or 7. Now some of these were pressure that didn't hit home which didn't help, but I think this puts us in great shape in the defensive backfield this next year.

I have no idea how we har a chance to win the Oklahoma game with all of those defensive lapses and poor attempts at tackling. Still love the call to end it.

That baylor game was hard to watch. Baylor was not near the team we made them look like for 3 quarters.

Long story short these teams are such much than years past. If we made half the mistakes on past teams we would have won 3-4 games. Cannot wait until football this next year.

Ps the red white red and white red white jersey combos looks by far the sharpest on TV.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
We played some pretty poorly executed games last year but somehow were still in a position to win at the end in most of them. Obviously we had several heartbreakers, but it's crazy to see how close it is between winning and losing.

I attended the Iowa and Baylor games last year and that was pretty damn brutal.

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
I'm ready for football to be here, so I re-watched all of the games.

Purdy might be better than I remembered. Don't get me wrong I know he has been great. I believe he is already the best QB at ISU(my opinion). His accuracy is so good. When he sets his feet and throws balanced his completion % has to be 95%. At times he was throwing off his back foot even when he didn't need to, but even doing that he had some absolute dimes. His ability to hit guys in stride is next level.

We had the season we did which was pretty good and the number of 3 and 20 we gave up was crazy. This will for sure go down next year which could mean great things. 90% of the time we were giving up big plays it was errors by 33 or 7. Now some of these were pressure that didn't hit home which didn't help, but I think this puts us in great shape in the defensive backfield this next year.

I have no idea how we har a chance to win the Oklahoma game with all of those defensive lapses and poor attempts at tackling. Still love the call to end it.

That baylor game was hard to watch. Baylor was not near the team we made them look like for 3 quarters.

Long story short these teams are such much than years past. If we made half the mistakes on past teams we would have won 3-4 games. Cannot wait until football this next year.

Ps the red white red and white red white jersey combos looks by far the sharpest on TV.
I love when he hits Milton over the middle and then Tarique turns on the jets. I have a feeling Milton will mostly be back in the slot this year so we will probably see a lot more of that. Look for Shaw to become a much bigger weapon on the outside this year.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
In 2017 we were extremely fundamentally sound. Didn't turn the ball over. Didn't give up sacks. Played well on 3rd down offensively and defensively. Those things win you ball games all on their own.

Last year we were kind of the opposite. Finally we had big play capabilities in the pass game and even in the run game at times with Breece, but we were not fundamentally sound. We pretty much flipped the script from 2017 and it cost us almost all of those close games.

I'm always optimistic-- especially in June-- so I of course am hoping we return to form like we were fundamentally in 2017 rather than trending in the wrong direction. Things that help that: good leadership (Brock), and veteran players (they generally make fewer mistakes than young guys).

Baylor was basically our arch nemesis last season. They won all those close games when we lost them. Maybe this year we can have the season Baylor had last year.

Reactions: Statefan10

werdnamanhill

(⌐■_■)
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 23, 2017
Eastern IA -> Raleigh, NC -> Madison, WI
I love when he hits Milton over the middle and then Tarique turns on the jets. I have a feeling Milton will mostly be back in the slot this year so we will probably see a lot more of that. Look for Shaw to become a much bigger weapon on the outside this year.

Im also excited to see some of that kid from Bettendorf, Porter is his name maybe?

great2baclone

May 7, 2014
Could someone research our opponents’ 3rd and 10+ conversion rate?

It had to be north of 70%.

Not sure, but it seems about right. We gave up 3rd and impossible so many times. I also think we should move Mike Rose back to Mike position. I don't think O'rein Vance is a bad player by any means, and I totally understand the thought process of getting your best players on the field at same time. However, I just think Mike Rose impacted the game more from that position and plays it better than Vance. Maybe move Vance to the weakside spot to add a little more size that Marcel Spears didn't have that hurt us against the Iowa's, Norte Dame, and Texas Power run game. Offensively, I felt towards the end of the season the book was out on us in the passing game. We threw nothing over 20 yards deep, and just looked out of sync in my opinion. I'm excited to see what Brock looks like in year 3.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
In 2017 we were extremely fundamentally sound. Didn't turn the ball over. Didn't give up sacks. Played well on 3rd down offensively and defensively. Those things win you ball games all on their own.

Last year we were kind of the opposite. Finally we had big play capabilities in the pass game and even in the run game at times with Breece, but we were not fundamentally sound. We pretty much flipped the script from 2017 and it cost us almost all of those close games.

I'm always optimistic-- especially in June-- so I of course am hoping we return to form like we were fundamentally in 2017 rather than trending in the wrong direction. Things that help that: good leadership (Brock), and veteran players (they generally make fewer mistakes than young guys).

Baylor was basically our arch nemesis last season. They won all those close games when we lost them. Maybe this year we can have the season Baylor had last year.
I strongly agree with this. But man is it hard saying I hope we end up anything like Baylor.