Vikings fans...

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
double digit win on a short week. Too many penalties. But, the defense tightened up in the second half. 6-2 through the first half of the season. I'll take it.
Hard to be upset about winning, no matter how unimpressive it is (not that the Vikings tried to impress anyone tonight... Game plan was pretty conservative throughout).

Reactions: Cy4Lifer

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
They've both been terrible all season.
Elflein isn't great at pass protecting...it helps to have Cousins roll out at times as opposed to staying in the pocket.. Elflein was pretty much overmatched by Allen most of the night.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Hard to be upset about winning, no matter how unimpressive it is (not that the Vikings tried to impress anyone tonight... Game plan was pretty conservative throughout).
agreed.

And looking forward, 4 more games on the road. 4 at home. They'll be favored in at least half of those games. If they play .500 ball the rest of the season, they'll make the playoffs. That would be a successful season in my opinion, but I'm sure they'd like to do better.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
agreed.

And looking forward, 4 more games on the road. 4 at home. They'll be favored in at least half of those games. If they play .500 ball the rest of the season, they'll make the playoffs. That would be a successful season in my opinion, but I'm sure they'd like to do better.
I just hoped for improvement over last season, and so far, we're improved. Just gotta turn it into something now.

• Optimistic

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
The biggest difference between this season and last season is a healthy Cook. He's scary good.
Yeah, the guy can beat you in so many ways. Strength, speed, receiving. He's great with his cutback. He's the reason that play action works well for them.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Xavier Rhodes trade value is plummeting after watching him get destroyed trying to cover receivers in the 1st half against the Redskins.
He's always been really good against big receivers because of his size, but struggles against smaller, quick and speedy receivers. The league is trending towards that type of receiver and he's struggling to keep up now. With the rules becoming more and more strict every year reducing the amount of contact a DB is allowed to make with a WR, his style of play just doesn't work like it used to. I wonder if he could make the move to safety? Seems like he could be a beast there. Other corners have done it later in their careers.

• Agree
Reactions: CySmurf

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
He's always been really good against big receivers because of his size, but struggles against smaller, quick and speedy receivers. The league is trending towards that type of receiver and he's struggling to keep up now. With the rules becoming more and more strict every year reducing the amount of contact a DB is allowed to make with a WR, his style of play just doesn't work like it used to. I wonder if he could make the move to safety? Seems like he could be a beast there. Other corners have done it later in their careers.

Problem is he wouldn't play over "The Hitman" and honestly Anthony Harris is having a career year leading the Vikings with 3 interceptions. Plus that contract he has is to be a shutdown corner not an ok safety.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
Yeah, the guy can beat you in so many ways. Strength, speed, receiving. He's great with his cutback. He's the reason that play action works well for them.
Trading up to get Cook in round 2 a few years ago is starting to pay off. Overall I think Speilman sucks at drafting, but that one was a home run pick.

I agree that Rhoads has been pretty bad this year, and last year at times as well. I was hoping that Holton Hill would have a huge season and develop into a shutdown corner, but he hasn't returned from his suspension I don't think. Hughes has some upside, Waynes is inconsistent, Alexander has improved every year. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Vikes draft another corner early in 2020 and maybe get rid of Rhoads.

• Disagree
Reactions: 3GenClone

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
The biggest difference between this season and last season is a healthy Cook. He's scary good.
I give a little credit to OL as well. The zone scheme does seem to have improved run blocking some... when they don't get called for holding, that is.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Elflein isn't great at pass protecting...it helps to have Cousins roll out at times as opposed to staying in the pocket.. Elflein was pretty much overmatched by Allen most of the night.

Just shows how over-rated some of these Ohio St. guys are coming out. He was injured last year but he's still a below average guard this year. Can't hit on them all, but him and Treadwell are the most recent disappointments.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Problem is he wouldn't play over "The Hitman" and honestly Anthony Harris is having a career year leading the Vikings with 3 interceptions. Plus that contract he has is to be a shutdown corner not an ok safety.
I'm thinking more in a year or two, and not necessarily with the Vikings.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Trading up to get Cook in round 2 a few years ago is starting to pay off. Overall I think Speilman sucks at drafting, but that one was a home run pick.

I agree that Rhoads has been pretty bad this year, and last year at times as well. I was hoping that Holton Hill would have a huge season and develop into a shutdown corner, but he hasn't returned from his suspension I don't think. Hughes has some upside, Waynes is inconsistent, Alexander has improved every year. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Vikes draft another corner early in 2020 and maybe get rid of Rhoads.

WHAT? You're crazy. I get criticizing Christian Ponder and Laquan Treadwell, but if there is one thing Spielman has been great at it has been drafting.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006

I don't get the "Speilman sucks at drafting" crowd. Since he took over as GM in 2012, he's had 78 draft picks. Of those 52 are still on NFL rosters or practice squads. Compare that with a team like the Packers over the same period. For them it's 45 players still in the league of 71 drafted.
I'm not using those numbers to say that he's done better than Green Bay, or that he's the best in the league at drafting, or that other parts of his GM game aren't subpar, but he's a far cry from "sucking" at drafting.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I'm not sure why, but sometimes I forget how fast Diggs is. On that one crossing play last night, he looked like he was on another speed than everyone else.

Last edited:

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
WHAT? You're crazy. I get criticizing Christian Ponder and Laquan Treadwell, but if there is one thing Spielman has been great at it has been drafting.
Spielman's drafting of skill players has been nearly lights-out. It's the OL (both drafting and signing otherwise) that has been problematic, but he's been pretty good practically everywhere else.

• Optimistic

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron