Vikings fans...

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
You think he is on the hot seat after a 10-6 season that included a wildcard win?
Yeah, I didn't see it before they beat the Saints. I definitely don't see it now. Unless they finish under .500, he's not going anywhere. Nor should he go anywhere. He's won almost 60% of his games as coach. As much as I want a SB victory, I'd be very happy if Minnesota was just a consistently winning team. Teams like Pittsburgh and Baltimore have raised their floor so that (most of the time) a down year is .500. You get the team to that level of consistency and the post season success will come. The Vikings have a really good core of players. You don't tear it down now.

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
Yeah, I didn't see it before they beat the Saints. I definitely don't see it now. Unless they finish under .500, he's not going anywhere. Nor should he go anywhere. He's won almost 60% of his games as coach. As much as I want a SB victory, I'd be very happy if Minnesota was just a consistently winning team. Teams like Pittsburgh and Baltimore have raised their floor so that (most of the time) a down year is .500. You get the team to that level of consistency and the post season success will come. The Vikings have a really good core of players. You don't tear it down now.
Agreed. Spielman on the other hand, I dunno about him. I would be ok if they went another direction at GM.

• Winner
Reactions: Acylum

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
He’s a lot better than a lot of coaches in this league. Also, winning with that atrocious O Line is no small task.

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
The biggest issue I see, is that the Vikings are missing too many important pieces and sitting too close to the salary cap. They can shift a few things around, but normally when a team reaches this point, they've hit their ceiling. Eventually they must rebuild because they are missing enough pieces that they can't get using mid to low draft picks. I sense the Vikings are getting close to that point.

Cousins will never win a SB. I'd bet my life on that. He is a slightly above avg QB, but he isn't going to win too many games by himself. Put him on a Vikings team from a few years ago when the defense was truly elite, then maybe they would have a chance, but not now.

I fear we are going to watch this team work to reinvent themselves on the fly attempting to utilize the remaining elite talent still in its prime. Those attempts will likely end in similar seasons such as this, but never looking like a true SB contender. Eventually the defense will continue to age and they will be forced to recognize that they missed their window of opportunity.

Last edited:

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
The biggest issue I see, is that the Vikings are missing too many important pieces and sitting too close to the salary cap. They can shift a few things around, but normally when a team reaches this point, they've hit their ceiling. Eventually they must rebuild because they are missing enough pieces that they can't get using mid to low draft picks. I sense the Vikings are getting close to that point.

Cousins will never win a SB. I'd bet my life on that. He is a slightly above avg QB, but he isn't going to win too many games by himself. Put him on a Vikings team from a few years ago when the defense was truly elite, then maybe they would have a chance, but not now.

I fear we are going to watch this team work to reinvent themselves on the fly attempting to utilize the remaining elite talent still in its prime. Those attempts will likely end in similar seasons such as this, but never looking like a true SB contender. Eventually the defense will continue to age and they will be forced to recognize that they missed their window of opportunity.

I don't know too many QB's that can "win a game by themselves " without a decent O-line.

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
I don't know too many QB's that can "win a game by themselves " without a decent O-line.

I'll be the first to gripe about the state of the Vikings Oline, but QBs that are capable of leading their team to a SB, win a few games on their own despite that. I'm not suggesting that another QB could have won last night, but Cousins is so easily negated that I see nothing that shows me he is capable of doing so. He is what he is. A check down guy that racks up statistics.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
Hopefully they will retain Kubiak in his role. Stefanski was fine, but their offensive success this year is rooted in the Kubiak system.
the Broncos just fired their OC...might be trying to get Kubiak back.

nvm: its shurmur

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: MeowingCows

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
I'll be the first to gripe about the state of the Vikings Oline, but QBs that are capable of leading their team to a SB, win a few games on their own despite that. I'm not suggesting that another QB could have won last night, but Cousins is so easily negated that I see nothing that shows me he is capable of doing so. He is what he is. A check down guy that racks up statistics.
Cousins is easily negated because the Vikings OL can't run block or pass block consistently. If he even had an average line in front of him things would be significantly different but as soon as they find a team with an above average defensive line the left side gets absolutely destroyed in front of him and he has no choice.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
You'll be hard-pressed to find SB-caliber teams that had bad OL's, regardless of QB quality, and checkdown feeders don't score half their TDs on 40+-yard throws. There's a lot more to it than that.

Cousins is a fairly average QB with the exception of under play action, where he excels greatly. His weakest point, by far, is the line in front of him that tends to collapse within seconds against decent pass rush. He's not great at avoiding pressure and making plays up out of nothing. When actually covered properly, Cousins does well and often performs to expectation. We just watched him go win a game himself against the Saints (once they keyed hard on Cook, that is).

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
That's the Vikings offense in general though. Check downs, screens, very few deep passes. That is why the QBs complete 70% of their passes - Cousins, Keenum, Bradford, Teddy B... gotta take more advantage of the weapons they have. But a lot of that has to do with the o-line too. It's not easy to throw down the field when you have no time to do so.

The worst part is that they had very little money in free agency because of what they paid Cousins. Spielman needs to hit home runs in this years draft.

Need a good lockdown corner, a left tackle, #3 WR, left guard, #3 linebacker and maybe a defensive tackle that dominates in the run game.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
That's the Vikings offense in general though. Check downs, screens, very few deep passes. That is why the QBs complete 70% of their passes - Cousins, Keenum, Bradford, Teddy B... gotta take more advantage of the weapons they have. But a lot of that has to do with the o-line too. It's not easy to throw down the field when you have no time to do so.

The worst part is that they had very little money in free agency because of what they paid Cousins. Spielman needs to hit home runs in this years draft.

Need a good lockdown corner, a left tackle, #3 WR, left guard, #3 linebacker and maybe a defensive tackle that dominates in the run game.

Would you believe that completions by Cousins averaged more yards in the air than guys like Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Carson Wentz, Tom Brady, and Jared Goff, this year? The Vikings definitely throw to running backs, but the stats don't back up the Captain Checkdown moniker like you'd think they would.

I agree they need help at corner, tackle and defensive tackle. Bisi Johnson looks good as a #3 receiver though. And I sure hope they don't waste a high draft pick on a 3rd linebacker. The number of snaps that the base defense is out there is way, way less than it used to be. They're playing nickel most of the time.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016

I agree with you but the Vikings aren’t cash strapped because of Cousins right now. His salary is something like 7th among QBs - not like what it looked like when he signed it. Minnesota is paying 11 guys $10 mil or more per year - 7 of them on defense. The offensive guys are Cousins, plus Diggs and Thielen, and then Reiff who is not that great. Cook is on a rookie contract. Otherwise the OL is simultaneously not very good, not paid very well, and not in a position to improve with FAs. Good luck drafting rookie OL who can contribute immediately!

• Agree
Reactions: demoncore1031

Help Support Us

Become a patron