VA Tech's Blackshear Looking at ISU.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
While I doubt he’d come here doesn’t a VT assistant have connection to prohm?

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I don't think we have a shot but if he stays in college, that more than likely takes a schollie away from a blue blood that may have been out to someone we're targeting. It sucks competing with the UNC's and Kentucky's of the world for transfers but they can't take everyone. The trickle down could help us.

megamanxzero35

May 31, 2011
He's started 2 bigs at the same time in 2/4 of his seasons. Where are people getting this notion that Prohm hates, or refuses to play 2 bigs? Niang+McKay his first year. Lard+Young last year.
The seasons we played with just one big were the seasons we had a ton of guard talent. Next year I think we'll have equal talent in both guards and post players. Absolutely wouldn't be surprised to see 2 big starting.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
The seasons we played with just one big were the seasons we had a ton of guard talent. Next year I think we'll have equal talent in both guards and post players. Absolutely wouldn't be surprised to see 2 big starting.

I believe Prohms preference is to play 3 guards with 1 Stretch PF and 1 C. Prohm won't force it though. play the best players and adjust his system to fit 2 true posts if that is the best lineup.

Zion Griffin is the stretch 4 (Ejim type) that Prohm would like to earn the starting role to keep his preferred style of play. A wild card could be the development of 3 pt shooting threat that Conditt and Jacobson could possibly provide to keep the lane open with Solomon.

As it relates to Blackshear (assuming there is mutual interest) I believe he shot 30+% from 3 last year so he'd provide that threat to move outside the lane.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
He's started 2 bigs at the same time in 2/4 of his seasons. Where are people getting this notion that Prohm hates, or refuses to play 2 bigs? Niang+McKay his first year. Lard+Young last year.
Exactly. And the years he didn't start 2 bigs, his options were Holden, Brase, and Solo in 16/17 and Jacobsen, Lard, and Conditt in 18/19. Not exactly a plethora of options. Add to that, both those seasons he had a big bodied, long armed guard that could guard the 4.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club

Who on the roster fits the Niang spot as the second post? Jacobson only had 2 games where he made more then 1 3. He only made 6 3's in 2019 (18.2%). 2 against KU in the Big 12 Tournament. So unless that changes. We aren't recruiting another big.

Blackshear can shoot 3's but Georges made more his senior year then Blackshear has in his collegiate career

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
Who on the roster fits the Niang spot as the second post? Jacobson only had 2 games where he made more then 1 3. He only made 6 3's in 2019 (18.2%). 2 against KU in the Big 12 Tournament. So unless that changes. We aren't recruiting another big.

Blackshear can shoot 3's but Georges made more his senior year then Blackshear has in his collegiate career
Good luck finding a big Iowa St can get that made as many 3s as Niang.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

No one fits that exact role, though Anderson looks like he can be a stretch four for sure. Griffin can fill that spot as a big wing.

• Useful
Reactions: clone4good

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
No one fits that exact role, though Anderson looks like he can be a stretch four for sure. Griffin can fill that spot as a big wing.

Good point, I believe Andersen is on record that the ISU coaches wanted to use him as a point forward like they used Georges when he committed.

I agree that Anderson could become that. But I don't see him playing much, if at all this coming year. Maybe he has a Hiliburton breakout, but I'm expecting a redshirt for 2019-2020.

• Disagree
Reactions: KKramer and Aclone