Used car pricing

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
We are in the market for a used car as our daughter will need to drive our crapper between her two HS campuses this fall. I'm still wide open on what to buy but I have noticed some odd issues as relates to pricing. In comparing two seemingly reasonable sources, Edmunds and Kelly Blue Book, the pricing they show is generally very far apart, often 1000s even for cars under 10k. I frankly think that the Edmunds numbers are better, in fact the last two cars I sold were a lot closer to Edmunds prices than KBB. It strikes me that KBB is the primary one used because it benefits the retailers (higher prices). Any thoughts or actual knowledge on the matter from our CF members?

geburgess

Jan 19, 2010
WDM, IA
Cite KBB when selling or trading in at a dealer. When buying, use Edmunds. That's what I've done, has seemed to work well.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
Even if you are not going to finance the car, go talk to your bank and get values. They will tell you what the amount they will lend on the vehicle. Compare the price vs. what the bank will lend and use what the bank will lend as the maximum amount you would pay for the vehicle.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Nadaguides.com

I also check out cars.com to see what similar cars are bringing. For sub $10k cars I think it is a lot more about the condition/history of the actual car itself.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron