Urban Meyer heart attack watch

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I knew his run at Jax would not be good when one of his first moves was to hire Chris Doyle. Boy that went over well.
Yeah, it's been one **** up after another. It's been clear for a while that he was not ready for coaching in the NFL, and probably never will be. I doubt he ever sniffs a pro job again. Fortunately for him, colleges will line up to hire him, if he wants. I wonder, though, if the higher profile teams will stay away for a while.

• Agree
Reactions: JP4CY

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Yeah, it's been one **** up after another. It's been clear for a while that he was not ready for coaching in the NFL, and probably never will be. I doubt he ever sniffs a pro job again. Fortunately for him, colleges will line up to hire him, if he wants. I wonder, though, if the higher profile teams will stay away for a while.

I'm guessing he's done done.

• Optimistic
Reactions: TXCyclones

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
The next several days will be like a soap opera when all the reports about Urban come out.

You're probably right. Didn't he have a 5-yr contract? it will be a lot of allegations of "for cause" for the termination so the Kahn won't have to shovel over four years of salary payments.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
The two best college coaches of this generation, Saban and Meyer, couldn't hack it in the NFL with a level playing field. That's pretty telling. Kliff Kingsbury appears to be a better NFL coach than either of them.

Coaches that are overly controlling don't seem to work out. Coaches with more relaxed styles that give their players more freedom definitely do better (Kingsbury, Carroll). Makes sense that full grown adults wouldn't want to be ordered around and treated like toddlers.

The list of college coaches successfully making the jump to the NFL is tiny, especially over the last 20 years.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I think he's become a real hard sell for a fork over millions job.
Bruce pearl had a show cause. There have been allegations and some crazy stuff about Leach. Meyer will have a shot, I just question if he would take it. He has been very good at finding spots that would be difficult to fail. Utah when BYU and Colorado are not performing. Florida after the old ball coach left, OSU is a basically dont screw it up situation. Not sure about bowling green.

He would need to go to a school more like Texas or Auburn and show he can coach instead of just staying out of the way. It would prove if he was as good as people thought.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
Wouldn't be surprised if a college that still THINKS they're a blue blood (i.e., Nebraska, Texas, etc.) offers him after they fire their current coach. And I hope they do because it won't end well there either.

• Agree
Reactions: Trice and Mr Janny

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I knew his run at Jax would not be good when one of his first moves was to hire Chris Doyle. Boy that went over well.

Where in someone’s mind does one think that hiring a guy that was just let go for being racist is a good idea?

The guy is even more tone deaf than Kirk Ferentz…. and that is saying something.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
The two best college coaches of this generation, Saban and Meyer, couldn't hack it in the NFL with a level playing field. That's pretty telling. Kliff Kingsbury appears to be a better NFL coach than either of them.

Coaches that are overly controlling don't seem to work out. Coaches with more relaxed styles that give their players more freedom definitely do better (Kingsbury, Carroll). Makes sense that full grown adults wouldn't want to be ordered around and treated like toddlers.

The list of college coaches successfully making the jump to the NFL is tiny, especially over the last 20 years.
I think the dominant "king" coach approach that bother Meyer and Saban seen to have, only works well when you have accomplishment to back it up.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
He won't end up at a blue blood. Maybe Nebraska if they get desperate enough. I could see him at a place like UCF though. Right now I'd say he's 80-20 done for good.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclone27inQC

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I think the dominant "king" coach approach that bother Meyer and Saban seen to have, only works well when you have accomplishment to back it up.
Meyer never sticks around very long either. Once the honeymoon stage wears off he is looking elsewhere. With everything in life apparently.

You know he will be at Nebraska next…..

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Meyer never sticks around very long either. Once the honeymoon stage wears off he is looking elsewhere. With everything in life apparently.

You know he will be at Nebraska next…..
I think he'll go to a place with a lot of local recruits, because you know he's going to want to repair his reputation quickly. A Florida school or California or Texas, maybe.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Dude is in over his head, kinda like like spurrier was.

I hate Urb as much as the next guy but to be fair, how many coaches have successfully made the jump from college to the NFL? Pete Carroll is one of the few I can think of.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
Wouldn't be surprised if a college that still THINKS they're a blue blood (i.e., Nebraska, Texas, etc.) offers him after they fire their current coach. And I hope they do because it won't end well there either.

• Agree
Reactions: BCClone

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015

It's why I don't think Campbell should jump to the NFL. He's a great leader, culture guy and program builder. Not sure how well that translates to the NFL.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I think he'll go to a place with a lot of local recruits, because you know he's going to want to repair his reputation quickly. A Florida school or California or Texas, maybe.

I think he's done. I don't think there are many schools that want to hitch their wagons to Meyer at this point.

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
Saban wasn't a bad HC in the NFL in my opinion. He almost made the playoffs his second season. I remember they were choosing between Culpepper and Brees in free agency and chose the wrong one. Had they picked Brees instead, he might still be coaching in the NFL.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron