Status
Not open for further replies.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Not to be a downer here, but even if we had a great vaccine right now ready to go, it would still take months to manufacture, distribute, and administer it on a global scale. I hope we get there (obviously), but even an end to the scientific process of producing a vaccine begins a large scale industrial, logistical, and medical process of bringing it to the world -- and I am not even going to try to seriously talk about the pockets of our society that will, umm, "resist" such a breakthrough. So you have to bake in time for that.

That time is probably not in time for college football in early September.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Sorry, this isn't new. It's a recycled story from Moderna that they talked about 2 months ago. But hey, their stock was up some more.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
If this were available next week, would you get it?

I've been thinking about that......will I get one right away or will I see initial reactions, etc. I normally get flu shot and get all the vacs for my kids, but just a thought I've had.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
If this were available next week, would you get it?

I've been thinking about that......will I get one right away or will I see initial reactions, etc. I normally get flu shot and get all the vacs for my kids, but just a thought I've had.

Not next week, not next month, not next year. Should I keep going?

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Not next week, not next month, not next year. Should I keep going?

Fair enough, lol.

Just been thinking about this...i dont' want "quick science" trying to get things back to normal to have other consequences, etc.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
Fair enough, lol.

Just been thinking about this...i dont' want "quick science" trying to get things back to normal to have other consequences, etc.
I think it's important to keep in mind that scientists have seen viruses, recently, that are at least somewhat similar to COVID19. That has allowed for them to have a bit of a base of knowledge going into this.

iowastatefan1929

Oct 26, 2006
as soon as the FDA admits elderberry syrup is one of the best natural prevention supplements for lung infections i will get the vaccine. agreed?

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
and I am not even going to try to seriously talk about the pockets of our society that will, umm, "resist" such a breakthrough. So you have to bake in time for that.

FWIW there was a survey and 80%+ said they would get the vaccine right away when available. I was kind of pleasantly surprised it was that high, given the political and anti-vaxx contingents. As well as reasonable people just being worried about the "rush".

Like @harimad, I am in general a late adopter. But I am relatively low risk so I would be down the list to get it anyway.

Reactions: isutrevman

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Fair enough, lol.

I would consider it after seeing our dear leaders and the developers get at least 5 doses and then I can monitor their health for a good 5 years.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
FWIW there was a survey and 80%+ said they would get the vaccine right away when available. I was kind of pleasantly surprised it was that high, given the political and anti-vaxx contingents. As well as reasonable people just being worried about the "rush".

Like @harimad, I am in general a late adopter. But I am relatively low risk so I would be down the list to get it anyway.

Even a number like 80% or 90% is pretty disappointing.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
I work in IT. I choose not to cut myself on the bleeding edge there, and that's just email servers. Medicine should be even more cautious. Hopefully something being fast-tracked there still retains all safety protocols.
Clearly, you never received the anthrax or small pox vaccines.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Even a number like 80% or 90% is pretty disappointing.

why? That's a lot of people out in the world blocking the virus (hopefully). What % of people get flu shots? I don't get one. I'm gonna wait and see how the covid vaccine plays out. If people don't start developing some freakish condition from the vaccine, or start turning into lizard people, I will go ahead and get one next year.

Sparkplug

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Central Iowa
I filled out a questionnaire to be part of the testing but I don't have enough daily contact with others to be of any value. They are wanting people from Florida, Texas and California.

Status
Not open for further replies.