Tyrese Hunter PG '21 - Committed!

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Not sure why anyone would want to go negative in a commitment watch thread but here we are.

First and foremost Hunter is more than big enough to play the point. Not much more to say.

Harris at the 2 is always going to be the center of posts like these. Well he's a 4 star that contributed well at Memphis. If he can't here he won't play. Period. I don't have any concerns about Harris. It's not like he was 6'4 but woke up 5'9. The kid was a 5'9 4 star and that's saying something.

Lastly Jackson, he's not going to play the 3. We have Hinson, Johnson, Dubar and Blackwell . Not to mention the 2021 wing we'll sign. Forgot Walker who's 6'5.

The only possible way we go that small is if they are all playing too well to sit. Again not a problem.

Haven't "gone negative" at all. I'm on record like 3 different times saying I'm excited about this kid, and generally excited our backcourt will give us some quickness we haven't had in prior years. All I'm saying is 3 guards under 6' 1" is small, and I hope that Walker at 6'5" works out to give us some height in the back court.

Reactions: aobie

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
Haven't "gone negative" at all. I'm on record like 3 different times saying I'm excited about this kid, and generally excited our backcourt will give us some quickness we haven't had in prior years. All I'm saying is 3 guards under 6' 1" is small, and I hope that Walker at 6'5" works out to give us some height in the back court.
I don't see Harris, Hunter, and Jackson playing at the same time. Probably Bolton and maybe one of those guys at a time.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
We don't know who's going to pan out, nor the position any of these guys are going to play. We also don't know if this kid is done growing. For instance, Monte came to Iowa State at a generous 6'1", but was 6'3" by the time he left. Also, 6'1" is a fine height for PG's, especially when you can play above the rim. This guy has some very nice bounce. Lindell Wigginton type bounce. He'll be just fine.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
We don't know who's going to pan out, nor the position any of these guys are going to play. We also don't know if this kid is done growing. For instance, Monte came to Iowa State at a generous 6'1", but was 6'3" by the time he left. Also, 6'1" is a fine height for PG's, especially when you can play above the rim. This guy has some very nice bounce. Lindell Wigginton type bounce. He'll be just fine.

Again, I have never once said anything bad about this kid. I know he will be fine. All I'm saying is 3 guards under 6' 1" is a bit unusual, but as has been correctly pointed out we have size and length at some other positions. It was more than anything a commentary on Jaden Walker and hoping he can pan out so we have a larger guard as well.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Again, I have never once said anything bad about this kid. I know he will be fine. All I'm saying is 3 guards under 6' 1" is a bit unusual, but as has been correctly pointed out we have size and length at some other positions. It was more than anything a commentary on Jaden Walker and hoping he can pan out so we have a larger guard as well.
It's only unusual if you think they're all going to be playing at the same time. Two at a time? Not an issue. And you brought up Babb earlier as an example as a big PG, however he wasn't necessarily recruited to be the player he developed to be.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
It's only unusual if you think they're all going to be playing at the same time. Two at a time? Not an issue. And you brought up Babb earlier as an example as a big PG, however he wasn't necessarily recruited to be the player he developed to be.

Just for the sake of reference, I did a quick look and I don't see any other Big 12 team with more than 1 rotation player under 6' 1". Again, I'm not saying it's a massive issue. I'm not saying anything bad about this particular kid. I'm hopeful he commits and thinks he can be great. But 3 guards under 6'1" is not typical, and I think because of that it's important Walker pans out to give us a different look.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
UCONN won a national title starting 6'-1" Shabazz Napier and 5'-11" Ryan Boatright. Lousiville won a national title starting 6'-0" Peyton Siva and 6'-0" Russ Smith.

Ok fine, it's not at all abnormal to have multiple guards under 6' 1". Carry on.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
Things worked out pretty well for the last PG named Tyrese from Wisconsin here. Make it happen Prohm.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Ok fine, it's not at all abnormal to have multiple guards under 6' 1". Carry on.

Super short guys can be viable in a high-major conference (or even the NBA), but they have to have some exceptional skill or athleticism to make it so.

Monté was pretty small but had all-timer PG skills.

Harris is always going to be small, but I hope he is a twitchy athlete where that does not really end up mattering. I hope he can stay in front of guys with that.

Jackson III was 22/58 from three in the Big 12 last year (37.9%). If he can tick that up to 40%, then maybe "shooting" can be the factor that saves him.

Hunter? I hope a combination of all three of these, given his rankings.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Super short guys can be viable in a high-major conference (or even the NBA), but they have to have some exceptional skill or athleticism to make it so.

Monté was pretty small but had all-timer PG skills.

Harris is always going to be small, but I hope he is a twitchy athlete where that does not really end up mattering. I hope he can stay in front of guys with that.

Jackson III was 22/58 from three in the Big 12 last year (37.9%). If he can tick that up to 40%, then maybe "shooting" can be the factor that saves him.

Hunter? I hope a combination of all three of these, given his rankings.

I don't disagree with any of this. I'm not saying someone under 6' 1" can't be successful. All I noted is it's a bit unusual to have 3 guys that size on one roster, and said I hope Walker pans out so that we have some additional height in the back court.

Reactions: isutrevman

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Corey Evans Rivals story.

"One of the best and most talented point guards available, Tyrese Hunter has come to his college decision. The four-star guard out of Milwaukee gave his verbal commitment to Iowa State on Tuesday afternoon.

“The relationship that I have with Coach (Steve) Prohm and the rest of the staff was why I chose Iowa State. Through my whole recruitment, they stayed real and consistent with me. It made me feel the most comfortable,” Hunter told Rivals.com. “It means a lot to just seeing how they developed Tyrese Haliburton and other guards there. That’s more trust for me to put into Coach Prohm.”
https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/iowa-state-strikes-with-tyrese-hunter

Brian Snow's 247 story.

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/iowa-state-strikes-with-tyrese-hunter

"Still, Phenom University program director Antonio Curro says that the Cyclones are getting a fantastic addition to their program.
“Iowa State is getting an unbelievable young man who is better off the court than on the court, and he is a great player on the court,” said Curro.
Curro continued, “Tyrese is an exceptionally high character young man with extraordinary athleticism and advanced skill. I think the sky is the limit for what he can become as a player.”
“He is very respectful and coachable,” said Curro. “Tyrese is extremely smart and has a great desire to learn and improve. He is simply a class act on and off the court in all facets of basketball and life.”
https://247sports.com/college/baske...g-Tyrese-Hunter-commitment-top-100-149864092/

Help Support Us

Become a patron