TV Buying guide

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
I'll add another notch in for TCL as a great budget brand. I've got a 425 55" and it's great. Easy to use, works well, very little to complain about.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
I would add I bought the TCL because I wanted it to be easily transported from indoor to outdoor, and from all the research I did you need a TV at at least 700 nits (brightness) to be usable outside. The TCL at 700 nits was like hundreds if not thousands of dollars cheaper than other models.

I have a small, piece of **** TV in my garage (an APEX...which I had never heard of before. My sister was going to throw it away, so I took it just to leave in the garage). I leave it out there, and just move one of my DTV mini’s out there for watching stuff when I’m out there. The TCL is so inexpensive, and with Roku built in, I’m going to just buy a bigger one (or 2) and leave them out there. Have one on the transported DTV mini and the other on ESPN+.

Reactions: motorcy90

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
for those saying LG i couldn't disagree more... we have a 65" LG that we got a few years ago from Best Buy. It's the worse TV we have.. the picture looks great yeah but running any apps like Hulu or Netflix it will randomly exit out of them for no reason. we had it for 7 months and the screen went blank as I was watching the ISU game and had to be sent in for repair.. the guy who was doing the repair said I was literally the last LG TV he will ever do warranty repair work on as LG sucks to deal with on that end he said. I'll stick to Vizio and Samsung maybe TCL for the next TV.

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
Samsung best for the $.
sony is too much $.
knock off brands (hi-sense, tcl, etc...)make you look like you're not selling enough seed.
My aunt and uncle who make more money then I think they now what to do with it have nothing but TCLs in their custom built house and shop building...they just make decent TVs for the money for those who don't care about the specs as much..

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
for those saying LG i couldn't disagree more... we have a 65" LG that we got a few years ago from Best Buy. It's the worse TV we have.. the picture looks great yeah but running any apps like Hulu or Netflix it will randomly exit out of them for no reason. we had it for 7 months and the screen went blank as I was watching the ISU game and had to be sent in for repair.. the guy who was doing the repair said I was literally the last LG TV he will ever do warranty repair work on as LG sucks to deal with on that end he said. I'll stick to Vizio and Samsung maybe TCL for the next TV.

I wouldn't base reliability on one experience with one model. Consumer Reports, which looks at a ton of feedback shows that different models by the same company have a wide range of reliability and picture quality.

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
I wouldn't base reliability on one experience with one model. Consumer Reports, which looks at a ton of feedback shows that different models by the same company have a wide range of reliability and picture quality.
it's more the guy who did the warranty repair work not wanting to work with them anymore either. or the fact when I called the LG number for repair work, their customer service kept trying to say a place that only sells appliances was the authorized repair facility despite me telling them multiple times that I had called and asked that place already. they can't support the product afterwards.

Reactions: dmclone

kcbob79clone

Sorry if this is a duplicate, thethread tldr

Best advice is to look at ratings and note model number. As mentioned before the Walmart etc. TVs will have a slightly different model number because some feature(s) are eliminated to cut costs.

Absolutely best advice is to go to a Best Buy, or any store with a lot of different manufacturers usually showing same channel. You can decide what your eye likes.

• Agree
Reactions: motorcy90

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
Meh, box stores have been known to jack with display settings to really try to trick you into thinking the more expensive TVs are SO much more amazing. Just do your research online from a few different sources and you should be fine.

Yaz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 29, 2018
Just finished my basement and on my Seconded Sony X90H 75" in 3 weeks. The reviews were great, but digging deeper, they have some software issues... Our first one was blurry and had artifacts watching sports. Now tonight, day 10 or so, the seconded one is blurry at times, artifacts, now flickering...

Tomorrow Best Buy is getting the call to come and get it. I will move to the 950 model and if that one sucks too, I'm done with Sonys for a while. I have had great experiences with Sony over the years, but I do not recommend the X90H 75 at all. I don't game on it, but I hear that is an issue too and supposedly Sony knows its software issue that will be fixed at some time. Too much money for hoping something will be fixed.

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
Just finished my basement and on my Seconded Sony X90H 75" in 3 weeks. The reviews were great, but digging deeper, they have some software issues... Our first one was blurry and had artifacts watching sports. Now tonight, day 10 or so, the seconded one is blurry at times, artifacts, now flickering...

Tomorrow Best Buy is getting the call to come and get it. I will move to the 950 model and if that one sucks too, I'm done with Sonys for a while. I have had great experiences with Sony over the years, but I do not recommend the X90H 75 at all. I don't game on it, but I hear that is an issue too and supposedly Sony knows its software issue that will be fixed at some time. Too much money for hoping something will be fixed.

I got mine hooked up last night. Haven't noticed these issues yet, but will keep an eye out.

I will say that Best Buy has me pretty PO'd currently. Bought the X900H Sunday for $999, and today it went on black Friday sale for $969. They will not refund the difference and told me my only option is to return and repurchase, with the caveat that the TV is not available within 250 miles of me.

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
I got mine hooked up last night. Haven't noticed these issues yet, but will keep an eye out.

I will say that Best Buy has me pretty PO'd currently. Bought the X900H Sunday for $999, and today it went on black Friday sale for $969. They will not refund the difference and told me my only option is to return and repurchase, with the caveat that the TV is not available within 250 miles of me.
honestly that is pretty standard affair no matter where you bought from.. you bought it before the sale price.. why should they give you a deal that wasn't available at that point?? what about the people who bought the week/month before you?

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
honestly that is pretty standard affair no matter where you bought from.. you bought it before the sale price.. why should they give you a deal that wasn't available at that point?? what about the people who bought the week/month before you?

Mostly because their last month of marketing has touted a Black Friday price guarantee. When I bought it was advertised as their Pre-Black Friday sale price - $999 marked down from $1,499, so I didn't buy it before the sale price, per-say. They just decided to further lower the sale price. Honestly, almost any retailer you buy from these days will honor price drops within 7 days of purchase and sometimes 14 days. (Walmart, Amazon, Target, etc).

Is $30 a big deal? No, but it's poor taste to advertise a Black Friday price guarantee that doesn't actually include Black Friday prices (Yeah, I know, my fault for not reading the small print on the advertising since everybody does that).

Dr.bannedman

liberal
Aug 21, 2012
that island napoleon got sent to
My aunt and uncle who make more money then I think they now what to do with it have nothing but TCLs in their custom built house and shop building...they just make decent TVs for the money for those who don't care about the specs as much..

tenor.gif

• Haha
Reactions: 3TrueFans

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
Question for the others who have the Sony X900H..do you have yours connected to a soundbar or theatre system? I bought a new soundbar to how with and am having horrible audio delay issues. My internet research says this is common when using HDMI ARC but nowhere says how to fix it. Ive been messing with settings all night and am my wits end. Never had this issue before with other TV's and soundbar but those had all been connected via optical. This bar supports atmos so I have to connect via eARC.

cycloneshort

Jan 19, 2017
Question for the others who have the Sony X900H..do you have yours connected to a soundbar or theatre system? I bought a new soundbar to how with and am having horrible audio delay issues. My internet research says this is common when using HDMI ARC but nowhere says how to fix it. Ive been messing with settings all night and am my wits end. Never had this issue before with other TV's and soundbar but those had all been connected via optical. This bar supports atmos so I have to connect via eARC.
Try going into settings and turning AV sync to either on or off. That fixed it for me.

mp444

Nov 4, 2014
I'll add another notch in for TCL as a great budget brand. I've got a 425 55" and it's great. Easy to use, works well, very little to complain about.
I got a "black Friday" deal at Walmart about a month ago for a 55 inch TCL 4-series with Roku. It's been a total disaster. Over-the-air doesn't come in at all half the time (the antenna is good and the tv tells me it has reception, just black screen and no sound). TCL is aware they have a problem, but seems unable to fix it. I have done several emails back and forth with the TCL tech support and the current state is the tv won't even connect to the wifi (technically it connects to the wifi and then fails out because a forced software update fails). There are places online where you can see lots of people posting the same problems. I would stay away from TCL until this is fixed.

• Informative
Reactions: Acylum

Yaz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 29, 2018
I have experienced that on all TVs lately. I think it may be a broadcasting issue, not sure though. There is a sync option you can play with. I actually am returning my 900h and getting the 950. Not happy with the 900h.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron