Transfer In: Anthony Zach

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
That's a nice depth addition. I was wondering why he didn't have any matches last season w/ NIU, didn't know he had left.

cyclonenation5

Jul 12, 2013
Ames
That's a nice depth addition. I was wondering why he didn't have any matches last season w/ NIU, didn't know he had left.

Its a good depth addition for this season. I think it’s going to be more than a depth addition in future seasons though. I think he’ll be a varsity contributor.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Would not surprise me to see Sammy back at 184 instead of cutting back down to 174. That was a big cut for Sammy
That’s kinda what I thought which prompted the question. Maybe if the season is shortened or something to just second semester he would suck down to 74??

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I think
Broderson - 174
Colbray - 184
Coleman/Shapiro - 197
Who would be the favorite in that scenario at 97? I would think Coleman but that seems big given how much time he’s spent at 74

Boxer007

Aug 15, 2012
I actually think Shapiro holds that spot. He was highly rated for a reason and that weight class is no place for underclassmen.
I’m hoping he begins to grow into the weight a love up to his HS ranking.

WhizzerClone

Feb 20, 2020
I think
Broderson - 174
Colbray - 184
Coleman/Shapiro - 197
They are listed on the 20-21 roster as shown above. This is what I was hoping for as well.

Redding at 41 and Robinson at 49 to start it looks like. I thought Redding would go 33 and Robinson 57. Time will tell. Fisher at 97.

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
They are listed on the 20-21 roster as shown above. This is what I was hoping for as well.

Redding at 41 and Robinson at 49 to start it looks like. I thought Redding would go 33 and Robinson 57. Time will tell. Fisher at 97.
I’ve heard Cam is looking really good at 149. Also lookout for Ramazan at 125 to potentially contend for the spot. Mackall is the favorite, but he’s looked good

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
I’ve heard Cam is looking really good at 149. Also lookout for Ramazan at 125 to potentially contend for the spot. Mackall is the favorite, but he’s looked good
Remember when we had no one to throw out there at 125? Now we have great depth at 125 with Ramazan, Mackall, Cabanban, Reeves, and now Kysen. Great job by the staff bringing in a lot of talent to compete.

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
I wonder if Anthony Zach will be eligible right away and if he might challenge for the 165# spot. I personally think he won't be at Schumacher's level. He's so hard to predict because I can't find any college experience for him. Does anybody know what happened last year at NIU?

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
Its a good depth addition for this season. I think it’s going to be more than a depth addition in future seasons though. I think he’ll be a varsity contributor.
@ cyclonenation5 - I'd be curious to hear why you think that.

cyclonenation5

Jul 12, 2013
Ames
@ cyclonenation5 - I'd be curious to hear why you think that.

I certainly don't have any inside information, but I think Anthony Zach could have come here to fight for the 165 spot, which is our most wide open weight for the foreseeable future (until David Carr maybe bumps up).

If you look at our 165 spot, it's filled with young guys who were not blue-chip recruits. Doesn't mean they aren't good, but nobody blows you away. If Zach can make it down to 165, he will have a chance to start. He would be the best recruit of the bunch, national rankings-wise, and it wouldn't be particularly close. He was between #11-18 on several rankings sites coming out of high school.

If Carr bumps to 165 in the future, Anthony Zach could fill in at 174, assuming Broderson goes back up to 184 as he gets older.

This is entirely speculation, and it's possible that absolutely none of this post comes true. Just my two cents.

bradc1969

Aug 24, 2020
I certainly don't have any inside information, but I think Anthony Zach could have come here to fight for the 165 spot, which is our most wide open weight for the foreseeable future (until David Carr maybe bumps up).

If you look at our 165 spot, it's filled with young guys who were not blue-chip recruits. Doesn't mean they aren't good, but nobody blows you away. If Zach can make it down to 165, he will have a chance to start. He would be the best recruit of the bunch, national rankings-wise, and it wouldn't be particularly close. He was between #11-18 on several rankings sites coming out of high school.

If Carr bumps to 165 in the future, Anthony Zach could fill in at 174, assuming Broderson goes back up to 184 as he gets older.

This is entirely speculation, and it's possible that absolutely none of this post comes true. Just my two cents.

For the last 2 years guys like Schumacher, Stotts and Judge @ 165 have been training/wrestling and improving. I don't see someone who has been off the mat for over a year walking into a D1 room and having a chance to start.

Reactions: ISUWR5